DCC Archive Legacy-Rock Artifacts-Vol 1---Sly/Family Stone

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Winston, Oct 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member Thread Starter

Just finishing playing Vol.1 from this series---there are some interesting things on this series---to me the most interesting is the "ADD" "no compression" mix of Sly and the Family Stone's--"Hot Fun in The Summertime" and the Bob Irwin story of why its on this disc. Did anyone else pick up this series and get the other two Sly Irwin remixes? One last question --how many Volumes were in this series?

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

There were four volumes, two concentrating on the 60s, two no the 70s. I think there is only one Sly track on the series, "Hot Fun In The Summertime". It is the first ever stereo mix of the song. It was mixed to mono for the single and quad for the quad version. I guess Sly was too wasted to do a stereo mix.

"Thank You Faletinme Be Mice Elf Agin" was on a sampler, which I don't have.

I like the series because it has rare tracks like "I'm A Train" by Albert Hammond and the single version of "Brandy, You're A Fine Girl" by Looking Glass.

3. Bob Irwin & Vic Anesini did a heckuva great job locating original mixdown masters & multitrack session masters for this series. I frankly wish that he had the time to do more volumes for it, because of the rarities content of the 4 volumes currently out there. This series basically laid the foundation for the entire Legacy catalog of the past 11 years. :cool:

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Dr. (or anyone), is this a Sundazed release? And out of print, I presume?

5. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Although 4 volumes were supposed to be released, I have only been able to find 3. The first release had all of the liner notes, now you can only get a cheap version ($10 regular price compared to $14 or more) with no liner notes at all. I'm at work so I can't give you all of the particulars, but I'll get back to you. I would love to have Volume 4 if anyone know where to find one.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Gary, they were originally on CBS (Sony)/Legacy.

7. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member Thread Starter

CD Now still list all three volumes--search under Rock Artifacts. The stereo mix of the Sly and the Family Stone track is very cool.

Doc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.