Legendary engineer Ed Greene talks about his Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd-"Jazz Samba"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Thought so, thanks. I remember when it was on KRLA, a very long time ago..

2. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

You just made me pull out my old Stan Getz Serenity CASSETTE. Copenhagen 1987 Kenny Baron, Rufus Reid, Victor Lewis Sounds good to me.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  3. tolkev

tolkev Rain Dog

Thanks for posting this. I just dug out my copy of Jazz Samba on DCC LP and added it our holiday weekend rotation. Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    Steve Hoffman likes this.
  4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

michael bialek likes this.
  5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

"Jazz Samba Encore" is one of my all time favourite recordings. I've been waiting for an SA-CD of this one forever but it looks like it's just not in the cards. Maybe someday......

Aris likes this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

7. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

I've got this album on 4 track tape, but nothing to play it on. Anyone else have a copy?

jeff

8. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

9. Steve Hoffman

Well, they made their money doing live gigs. Typical working musician stuff.

No one got rich off of JAZZ SAMBA except the record company. Getz made pennies a disk, so did Byrd. The sidemen were just paid a flat fee. Like every other record ever made in that era or before (and usually after).

10. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

------------------------
    They all should set up PayPal accounts and we could send them a dollar or two to make up for the robbery. Guys with suits, contracts, and calculators living in big houses and great musicians being taken advantage of. Of course this is not just an American thing. If all the records and cds in my collection could talk.

Albireo, Mr Bass and Sneaky Pete like this.
  11. guyanthonybrown

guyanthonybrown Forum Resident

Great coincidence that our host should post about this record this week. I heard it, in its entirety, for the very first time just this Wednesday. I'm absolutely bowled over by the purity of sound, I was playing a new SACD version on my Oppo. Now I'm a rock and roller but this is one of those records that nostalgia led me to explore. Go back 50 years to my youth in the UK and my Mum had a single HMV Pop 1061 with Desafinado on the A side. Loved it then. Great now to read of the background and listen to Ed Greene talk about recording it. Thanks Steve.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

How sad. :shake:

13. Steve Hoffman

Quite an interesting article on JAZZ SAMBA and the musicians who created it (and who got little money for the only #1 Jazz album on the Billboard chart in history):

http://jazztimes.com/articles/14733-stan-getz-and-charlie-byrd-give-the-drummer-some

See the mic up in the air in front of the "Byrd Brothers"? One of Ed Green(e)'s ambient mics, set to catch room acoustics.. Also note how high Stan Getz's mic is. Ed didn't want the sound of the mic being crammed down into the bell like on a Van Gelder recording. He wanted that slightly "off mic" sound. Love it.
    Stan Getz, Joe Byrd and Charlie Byrd, Jazz Samba session.jpg

14. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

The YouTube AES Ed Greene Jazz Samba (Web 86) interview begins, "I did a lot of albums with Charlie…."

Ed Greene recorded several of the early Charlie Byrd Offbeat Records releases (including Charlie's Choice, aka The Guitar Artistry of Charlie Byrd, as Steve notes in the original post). But there were others, as well, whose liner notes credit Ed Green(e), or say they were recorded at, or by, Edgewood Recording Studios (co-founded by Ed Greene).

15. watchnerd

watchnerd Forum Resident

in for updates

16. K_Veronneau

K_Veronneau New Member

Steve,
    I had the pleasure of moderating a panel in June 2014 with both Ed Green and Jazz Samba drumer Buddy Deppenschmidt. Both were on great form as you can see in the youtube clip - from about minute 28. The panel was part of a week long celebration of the Jazz Samba album and it's impact. In addition to various panels there were great shows from the likes of Sergio Mendez, Eliane Elias, Veronneau, Romero Lubambo and Duduka da Foncesco, and the premier of a 60 minute documentary about the Jazz Samba album, directed by the Jazz-Video-Guy, Bret Primack "Bossa Nova - the Brazilian Music That Charmed the World". The whole event, the Strathmore Jazz Samba Project, was a massively succesful, sold-out affair - clearly there's still a lot of love for this music.

Fender Relic, rxcory, MarkAJ and 6 others like this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

That is FANTASTIC, thank you so much!!

18. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

I love Brazilian music and "Bossa Nova" in particular, a cultural movement that changed many things (arts, culture, mentalities and politics) and influenced the music abroad. Almost sixty years after, the flame is on and that's great. Tanx for your post.

19. michael bialek

michael bialek Well-Known Member

After reading this thread, I couldn't hold back from writing about the fact that Ed Greene once recorded (mono) a classical Charlie Byrd album in my living room in DC , circa early '60s. I vaguely recall he attended a party my parents threw and really liked the sound of our living room. (Or maybe he was humoring my Dad for whom he engineered a number of recording sessions.) Anyway, after quite a bit of time configuring and troubleshooting his recording equipment, Ed instructed my mother to unplug the refrigerator because of electrical interference. The album, if I recall properly, was titled "16th Century Guitar Anthology," and was produced by my Dad for his 'Washington Records' record label, which was later absorbed by Riverside, along with the entire record catalog containing several more Charlie Byrd recordings such as "Jazz at the Showboat". I still have some of the acetate test pressings of Ed Greene's recordings from back in the day. Also as a young kid, I remember attending a State Dept fête for Charlie and his band, who were about to depart for an extended cultural exchange tour of Brazil and little did we realize that Charlie would bring back Bossa Nova to the US and introduce Stan Getz to this music.

20. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Full agreement. This is a great demonstration album. If you know it well, use it when auditioning new equipment, or when you want to show off your system to friends :)

21. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Genius. That mike placement is so simple and would make perfect sense, but not until someone with a passion for recording and the proper attention to detail thinks of it.

McLover likes this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

Jazz Samba bump!

wwright, rxcory and Changeling like this.
  23. Changeling

Changeling Aut disce aut discede

Well deserved. Happy to own the DCC.

24. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Still searching for a copy that won't bankrupt me. In the meantime, my original Verve stereo pressing is pretty darned good.

Simon A likes this.
  25. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Agreed. This is a great sounding record if found in nice condition!