Legit question, not a teaser...sell rare LP here or on Discogs?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by starkiller, Dec 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starkiller

starkiller Forum Resident Thread Starter

Have bought a couple of items on Discogs and had no problem but have never sold there. Album is rare numbered run of 500 where, at least on Discogs, has a median price of around $170.00. I don't want to risk selling to someone that might futz with payment and plus I have sold a LP that might sell for that much...please let me know the pro's and con's of both sites as far as selling goes...

thanks!

Alan

2. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I would post it here to start at a price you'd be happy to sell it for. You'll have PayPal sellings fees, but no other fees. On Discogs, you'll have some additional selling fees, so you can (if you want) discount the price here by the additional amount of fees you'd pay on Discogs as you'd net the same either way.

If it doesn't sell here in a reasonable amount of time, you can post it on Discogs and keep it on here as well. Just have to remember to pull the item for sale if it sells in the other venue.

3. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Knock a few bucks off Discogs pricing and sell it here.

tmtomh likes this.
  4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

For a general sense of "no idiots complaining about what they don't know about" and the rather family atmosphere we tend to foster here, I'd vote for here. You may make a few bucks less, but you get the satisfaction of being in the herd (plus an increased seller rating in your profile, which goes forward to future sales/purchases) and possibly avoiding the inevitable hassles of customers on other sites. So, it's your choice: max profit and potential hassles; not here. Reasonable profit and lower probability of selling hassles: here. It's a no-brainer to me.

nick99nack, tmtomh and Dave like this.
  6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Selling here saves you the Discogs fee. But then again, most people will expect you to lower the price because there is no Discogs fee :)

You need to be realistic though. There's a much smaller buyer base here so unless your item is in the wheel house of most members here it may not sell that quickly or at all, especially if the price is not low enough (and it may be low, just not low enough). Basic market stuff really. :)

tmtomh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.