Legrand Jazz, 1958 Columbia w/ Miles, reissued by Impex Records on 45 RPM, original stereo tapes!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I’ve suggested it to Impex a few times via their website...

2. Mr. November

Mr. November Forum Resident

Yes, I was referring to the Impex 45 release. Unfortunately the US release will be difficult to obtain here. Or quite expensive...

3. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

Steve, Thanks so much for posting the info on this album. Got all my Sunday chores done and now I'm in my sweet spot listing to this fantastic album.
    Phone doesn't take very good photos. :shake:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the sweet spot. :cool:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:edthumbs: :shtiphat:

Lucca90, mgb70, Jam757 and 7 others like this.
  4. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Now playing the Impex SACD that just arrived. This sounds amazing, like the musicians are in the room with me. It sounds like being recorded yesterday on high end gear. Wow! :faint:
    Thanks to @Steve Hoffman for mentioning this album, and thanks to @RiRiIII for pointing me to Amazon.de. :cheers:

Jam757, RiRiIII and Steve Hoffman like this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Glad you like it.

Swann36, patient_ot and Yost like this.
  6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I just noticed that the CD is HDCD encoded too.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Is it really HDCD encoded or is it only tagged as HDCD? If I remember correctly, most Audio Fidelity discs were HDCD tagged because they were mastered using a specific ADC that supported HDCD, but the algorithm itself was not used.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I listened to the SACD today for the first time. I'd never heard this album before. All of that talent gathered in one place to make magic. What wonderful music and wonderful sound. I'm glad I bought this.

9. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

This has long been a favorite of mine & I just got the single LP version. It sounds fantastic!

Guitarded likes this.
  10. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I prefer this album in mono, because the stereo has the bass mixed to one side. I have a pristine mono Columbia and the stereo on CD as part of the Legrand Anthology box set.

action pact likes this.
  11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I picked up a mono 6-eye pressing recently that I'm finally having a chance to play. It's not mint bit it sure sounds great!

Fender Relic and eyeCalypso like this.
  12. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

:agree: Ditto this. Have my mono Legrand Jazz 6-eye spinning this morning.

13. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

So I’m listening to the SACD of this which is insanely great but I want the 45rpm! What’s wrong with me!!? Has anyone done a direct A/B comparison. I also have two Columbia 6 eyes which both sound very good but each has some noisy passages in different places. SACD is beautiful though.

RiRiIII likes this.
  14. siebrand

siebrand music lover

in order to make honest comparisons it is necessary to know the types, the models of the sources used.
    If you have an excellent level turntable / arm / head / prephono, I do not rule out, indeed it is likely, the vinyl version will be preferred, especially if you have a "decent / modest / sacdPlayer".
    If, instead, your SACD source is of excellent (unfortunately ... "expensive" ...) invoice and the analogical source rather simple, well, be sure that you will prefer the "reflective" disk.

eyeCalypso likes this.
  15. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks, I have an audiophile budget system, AT-120LP, Sennheiser HD650 phones and a liquid spark amp. Oppo-93 for SACD playback. I would say generally speaking I do feel that vinyl beats out SACD playback especially in the 45rpm medium. In this case because the SACD sounds so good I would expect it to be a very minimal difference. I'd have to check by playing the original six eye again as I recall that did sound pretty incredible. I've only recently got a number of 45rpm titles, many of which have blown be away.

16. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Didn't know this was out - I've been on a Legrand kick all year. I had tickets to see him perform this year and he sadly died! :(

His scores for Thomas Crown Affair and "F" For Fake are sublime...

Legrand was an effortless jazz genius.

McLover, VinylSoul and eyeCalypso like this.
  17. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the Impex 33 vs 45 editions? I’m close to pulling the trigger

18. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

IIRC, some selections have two seperate basslines that do a bit of call and response. In stereo it's wonderful to hear how they are positioned, one is left up front, and the other is placed further back in the center, I think. Wouldn't like to miss out on that in mono.

ShockControl likes this.
  19. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I have it in both mono and stereo. I hear more bass on my Columbia mono LP than the stereo CD, but that could be just as much a function of EQ as placement in the mix.

20. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I just picked up the single disc version of LeGrand Jazz ( #1114/3000) at Half price books for $34. Still looks new. I’m not certain the record has been played. I also picked up Speaker’s Corner Elvis is Back for $17. Again looks brand new. Has Hoffman inscription mentioned above in deadwax. There was also. Speaker’s Date with Elvis I did not buy. I used a 15% coupon that was about to expire.

21. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Wow. The Impex 33 sounds amazing. Super quiet. The bass is amazing. I can’t imagine the 45rpm sounding any better ( I’m sure it does). A collector must have owned this before since there was a MoFi inner sleeve.

22. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Thanks to all who wrote on this thread, went out & got the Vinyl .....WOW its stunning playing it on my Atmo Sfera TT using Pathos in the groove phone into Minute EL34 valve amp onto Infinity Quantum JR speakers and its so lifelike i close my eyes and I'm right there with the muscicians in the studio.

I feel like a bit of cheat in that being here I can make the most of the years of musical journeys you have all made and money permitting simply buy quality recordings and hardware without too many mistakes, so once again thank you to all those who posted and please continue to share your views and insights, I feel I'm reliving my teenage musical years without all the funbling around in the dark

RiRiIII likes this.
  23. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

I haven’t been able to take the 45 off the turntable all afternoon. Now playing the 33, which I loved upon purchase awhile ago, but the 45 is something else altogether. More air, deeper, fuller bass, more space around the instruments... I’m no expert nor do I know all the right buzzwords to describe it, but I can guarantee that if you hear this 45, you’ll be blown away. As good as the 33 is, to my ears, on my system there’s just no comparison.

I should add that unfortunately my 45 has some surface noise that several cleanings would not remove entirely, while the 33 is clean as a whistle. Edit, side 2 of the 33 has a few ticks and pops, so some issues with Impex vinyl.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    FashionBoy likes this.
  24. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

This sounds fantastic. Over the moon with this purchase.

FashionBoy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.