LEHMANN AUDIO BLACK CUBE match for AT440ML cartridges?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

Hi, a dealer near me is selling a 2nd hand Black Cube (not the Statement one) for £280. It is an ex-demo.

What I noticed about it is that it has "2006" on the top of the unit. Is this the year it was made? If so is £280 a fair price?

I'm assuming the only difference between the Black Cube and the Black Cube Statement is the power delivery? I notice that Statements go for around £320, so may be better off getting this rather than an older BC?

I'm potentially buying another phono stage to replace the Cambridge Audio 651p I'm using currently, that will eventually get re-deployed elsewhere in the house. Its been pretty good really.

Would the Black Cube be a good match for the Audio Technica AT440MLb cartridge?

Sorry for a lot of questions!

Thanks in advance.

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Lehmann makes very good to incredible sounding phono preamps. The Statement would sound better (less noise, more dynamics) than the base black cube. Each would be a perfect match with the AT cartridge you have. Lehmanns are "no brainers" IMHO.

HankM and englishbob like this.
  3. englishbob

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

So you are saying the cheaper Statement model works out better than the more expensive BC with the funky power cable?

4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I think the statement is more expensive. you want the model with the remote power module.

5. englishbob

Think that might be the SE?

Black Cube SE < Phono Stages < Lehmannaudio

[​IMG]
    The STATEMENT one is this one...

[​IMG]

6. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Take the standard black cube, you will be able to later upgrade to the SE by just adding the PWX . This is not possible with the statement.

englishbob and dbsea like this.
  7. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I have the SE version of the Black Cube and love it - don't see a problem matching the Black Cube with your cart. Even with the standard version I would predict a significant improvement over the 651P.

englishbob likes this.
  8. Tartifless

The statement is the entry level, the classic outperforms it.

I have the SE and an at440mlb and they work great together.
    I upgraded recently to a at33ptgii and still great.

englishbob likes this.
  9. englishbob

Thanks all. The Statement version on the UK is around £325, with the standard BC is £440.

The SE with the power supply is almost double the cost of the Statement, which is effectively a £300 power supply for the same £300 phono stage.

It's a tough justify. I may plump for the Statement

10. Tartifless

Why not purchase the used one ?

The difference is not only the power supply, the classic BC has a better build as the Statement.

englishbob likes this.
  11. englishbob

I was considering it. It's £280 ex demo, has a 2006 date on the actual box. If it is that old then 12 years of unplugging/plugging in puts me off slightly. If that's what the 2006 date implies

12. JoeSmo

JoeSmo SL1200 lover....

I’m pondering a phonostage change, if you buy, be sure to post a report comparing with your current one. Will be very interested in the Lehmanns performance.

13. Tartifless

Not sure those are meant to be unplugged, mine has been running non-stop for 2 years.

14. englishbob

If I get one it will be powered off daily!

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If you have around £300 to spend I suggest NVA phono 1. It will outperform all the lehmann models mentioned. Direct sell and in effect you have 30 days trial. Money back if not satisfied. Why pay a dealer £280 for a 10 year old inferior stage?

NVA - PHONO 1 Phono Amplifier. MM or MC | eBay

16. Tartifless

Just for info there is no power switch on the BC

17. englishbob

Yeah, all my stuff is powered off at the wall each night. It's a trait I picked up from my father!

18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Phono stages need to be kept powered up for anything like optimal performance.

19. englishbob

Getting the Black Cube Statement version sometime this week

If anyone has the correct settings for the AT440MLb please post - thank you

20. Tartifless

There is only one setting for mm, it'll be easy.

englishbob likes this.
  21. englishbob

There's loads of gubbins inside though

22. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

There are? If gubbins means adjustments in this case, there's nothing inside. There is a set of dip switches on the bottom to select MM input or MC input and loading ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Then what are the jumpers for gain and bass for?

24. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

Sorry, thought I cancelled my post since I didn't want to confuse the issue. There are jumpers inside, the gain jumper is to lower gain by 10dB and the bass is to create a 60Hz rolloff point. There is also a DC coupling jumper. Normally those wouldn't be changed, but they could be, hence why I tried to cancel my post :)

englishbob likes this.
  25. englishbob

Got the Black Cube Statement this week and having been burning it in for a few hours this week. Just put the 4 switches on the bottom to MM and went with that, don't think the other internal settings will do anything for me judging by the manual.

It certainly leapfrogs the Cambridge Audio 651p I had. Its given my sound the kick up the **** it needed for now. Strange thing is I can't remember the Cambridge being that bad at first, unless it got worse over time?

The reason I went for a new phono stage is that the sound (to my ears at least) started to sound congested and murky. So much so that I change my stylus a few months ago because I thought it was worn out, but the new one didn't do anything special either.

The Lehmann has a slightly wider soundstage, and better mids and lows for my ears. It reminds me of the time I returned to vinyl years ago, hearing that sound, that's exactly what I wanted and how I remember it. Lovely

My plan was to re-use the CA in another room, but I am so impressed with the Statement that I may use it in another room and potentially get the Black Stage SE for my main listening! :)

I could of done without buying another piece of audio equipment if I am honest, but at £325 it has made me very happy again. I can justify it based on the fact that money paid is under 7 tanks of petrol for my car, which just runs dry. Long may the BC run!

avanti1960 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.