Lemon Twigs , in the style of Raspberries MGMT Jellyfish Bay City Rollers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mazzy, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Didn’t even realise this was coming out this month until 10 minutes ago when my local shop just messaged me to let me know my copy was under the counter! You’ve got to love service like that, lol! Anyway just had a lovely sten to what’s out there from this new album and it sounds like it’s either going to be absolutely amazing or a complete disaster of over ambition. It seems to have split opinions nicely in the reviews I’ve read and it’s a good sign that many of the self perceived cool music sites don’t seem to get the lemon twigs at all. Fingers crossed it will be awesome!

Dr. Winston Ramone likes this.
  2. tstrapac

tstrapac Forum Resident

Halfway through the first song, I LOVE the background vocals.

This is exciting.

3. Mt.Elga

Mt.Elga Forum Resident

"Queen of my School" on the new lp is pure Chilton..

electricmetaphor and tstrapac like this.
  4. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

It's like playing spot-the-influence. Due to its general wackiness and some of the lyrics, this album almost owes as much to Sparks as it does to Todd Rundgren.
    But, hold on; here's a dash of Nilsson, and now here's some Raspberries. And let's thrown in some Serge Gainsbourg strings while we're at it.
    Utterly bonkers, and likely to become more endearing with repeated listens. If nothing else, you've got to admire their sheer audacity.

5. Purplefowler

Wow...woah.....erm.....eh?.......ok I’m only on my first listen but I’m not sure what to think. It sounds like so many things and yet like nothing I’ve heard before. Definitely going to take a few listens to take it all in. Already there are moments where these guys talent just blows me away but needs time for it all to settle in. Not entirely convinced that they haven’t over reached but I’ve a feeling that will also gives it a charming appeal.

6. Mt.Elga

Mt.Elga Forum Resident

I think they almost jumped the shark on this one..Damn,I love this band but Wow..this lp....Too big of a bite..

7. tstrapac

tstrapac Forum Resident

Have you seen this clip of Michael jamming some Big Star? I love it!

8. Django

Django Forum Resident

I haven't heard any of it yet, but from what I've read....I'm approaching it with caution. I get the feeling it might be a bit too much.

stunner2020 likes this.
  9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I just heard a song from (I presume) the new album, "If You Give Enough". I like it quite a lot, and I definitely hear the Beach Boys influence.

I have a feeling I have heard the name "Lemon Twigs" before but never heard any of the music until now. there are so many new indie bands... I don't find the band name particularly inspiring and I probably would not have bothered investigating them had I not heard this song on the radio. Yet one more piece of evidence that good pop music is still being made. Listening to stuff from the current hit charts it's easy to get the impression that the art of real songwriting is dead, and to feel sorry for the upcoming generation who missed out on the experience of growing up on music in the 1960s and 1970s. Every now and again, though, I hear something new that makes me realise that songwriting is not dead, and that future generations of listeners are going to be all right.

10. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Check out the youtube video of them at the Lowlands Festival in the Netherlands. A killer set.

11. Purplefowler

After the initial overwhelming listen, I found myself listening to it more and more and I’m really enjoying it now. Nice to see they are proud of doing thing old school too when it comes to analogue

12. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Can anybody confirm to me if the US vinyl release for Go To School comes with a download card? Thanks.

13. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

It does.

14. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Thanks. Don’t know why they couldn’t just put that info on the sticker. I would have bought it today.

15. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

These guys are tailor made to be beloved by this forum

OobuJoobu, tstrapac and notesofachord like this.
  16. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Possibly, but what's your opinion of them?

17. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

"Small Victories" on Jimmy Kimmel Live:

Brian's Strat solo at 3:25 is glorious!

Zeki likes this.
  18. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

Go to school is my favourite (non Beatle) album of at least the past
    ten years. First listen I was overwhelmed and didn't know what to make
    of it. By the third listen I knew this was something astounding. I've listened
    at least once every two days since it's release. Headphones reveal the most
    beautiful and lush string arrangements. Don't give up on this album.

19. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

These guys are top notch but I think any hype this lp had, kinda just sunk and fell on deaf ears.

20. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Saw them on Saturday supporting Arctic Monkeys - really enjoyed them. The singer/frontman is a star in the making...

Will make every effort to catch them again when I see AM this Thursday and Friday...

21. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I listened to the record the first time yesterday and simultaneously enjoyed it and mourned for Jellyfish.

tstrapac likes this.
  22. Django

Django Forum Resident

They were on later with jools Holland last week. Sounded really good. They performed small victories. I really like that one. Michael, the guy with the shorter hair had the campiness turned up to 11.

23. Purplefowler

My mum was really impressed. I went to see her the other day and she said she had to show me a great new band, bless her! She’s added go to school to her Christmas list although I think she might enjoy do Hollywood more

Zeki and Dr. Winston Ramone like this.
  24. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

On the Saturday night version of the Jools show they played three songs: "Never in My Arms, Always in My Heart", "These Words" and "Small Victories". Great fun and their new lineup as a five-piece is excellent.

25. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

I saw this the other night. I’m not at all familiar with the band but was really impressed with the sound and musicianship. The drummer was great!!