Lennon in response to Todd Rundgren

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zphage, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I wish he was still around to write me a letter like that. :laugh:

2. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Everybody knows John could be, um, difficult. That said, it's a pretty funny response. There is an edge to it, but it's whimsical enough that I can believe that he really did appreciate Todd's work. Kinda reminds me of the SNL episode where Sinatra (played by Piscopo? Or was it after his time?) keeps referring to Sinead O'Connor by a different wrong name each time, including "Skinhead O'Cranium!" :laugh:

3. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

No. Denial... maybe. That and an overall indifference as to how they really were in everyday life. I've always been fascinated in the art. Not the artist. But this is him. His words. Very ugly

DrBeatle likes this.
  4. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Fair enough! I'm one of those people that, generally, likes to learn as much as I can about the artists I like. Even if it turns out their right bastards, I'm pretty good at separating the person from the music. If I wasn't, there wouldn't be much left for me to listen to!

Zeki and Chris from Chicago like this.
  5. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I have to agree that he certainly did, Rundgren's greatest period was the 70's, but you gotta listen to the albums cuz not everything was played on the radio. John on the other hand had Imagine and Plastic Ono Band (Double Fantasy was 1980) and some good songs on the other albums but Rundgren's output and quality was very healthy.

strummer101 likes this.
  6. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Id like to see more from this Awful

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Lennon complements the Runt as he cuts him down a notch or two. When a Beatles likes some of your work and has listened to you and says so, you must be ok in their eyes.

It's all good.

SuntoryTime, Gardo, Syd Avett and 2 others like this.
  9. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Wonder if Todd and Ringo have ever talked about this...

Long Live Analog likes this.
  10. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

That was Phil Hartman.

sixelsix and She is anyway like this.
  11. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Correct, Piscopo idolized Sinatra and was constantly worried about offending him in any way, shape or form. Phil Hartman had no such hangups, which is probably why his version is far funnier...

sixelsix and musicfan37 like this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The part too many responders miss or are not aware of Todd's obvious and deep love of the Beatles and John Lennon. A man doesn't cover his songs, and participate in shows like A Walk Down Abbey Road and a full concert production of Sgt. Peppers and tour supporting Ringo if he's not a Beatles fan.

Seeing one of his heroes, drunk in a bar, being an ass and acting like a jerk to a waitress? Finding out that he had feet of clay? John doesn't deny that he was drunk or a jerk, but he does deny hitting a woman. Who knows, it could have looked that way from where Todd was.

Back when Todd was trying to re-invent the entire Internet via his Patronet system (it crashed and burned) he wrote about it for an autobiography that never appeared that was sampled in the service's Interocitor app.

Todd did drugs, but the drugs he did were pot, acid and Adderall - which he used to be so productive for that period in the 1970s. From his behavior, I suspect Todd is ADHD or ADD, and I suspect the latter was a matter of self-medicating.

By the way, some of Todd's output in the last decade is at least as good as anything he did back then. Liars is brilliant, and I'm saying that as someone who has been a Todd Rundgren fan since I was a teen.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  13. teag

teag Forum Resident

That was a time when politically correct was not the standard. People were people then.

14. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

Funny how John was always trash-talking the Beatles in his post-breakup interviews, but he wouldn't stand for it when anyone else did (even as mildly as Todd did here).

Mostly bitterness, I suppose. In truth, I suspect he missed the band more than any of the others.

15. Chris DeVoe

Todd was trash-talking Lennon, not the Beatles, accusing John of being a hypocrite.

By the way, Todd has had a Beatles connection all through his career - stepping in for George when he got too busy with the Concert for Bangladesh and finishing the Badfinger album, touring with Ringo, getting into a literary slapfight with John...

Dunno if he had any dealings with Paul.

16. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

boboquisp and 1970 like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Redundant? More than that, it is actually recursive, with this thread linked as footnote #7 in that article.

Zeki, Tim Wilson and Sneaky Pete like this.
  18. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

You gotta love it! :)

19. Well it's not w competition. Lenmon did the best work he was capable of at the time and was at a very different place in his career.

Lennon had a lot,of talent, a lot of demons and could also be a great guy otherwise we wouldn't love him. Feet of clay for sure same with Rundgren.

xilef regnu likes this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

Those of us who are big Todd fans know that Todd can be a jerk. As I mentioned earlier, he is legendarily sarcastic - so much so that Andy Partridge (himself no slouch in the snark department) is still kind of butthurt about the things Todd said to him during the recording of Skylarking.For his part, Todd claims that Andy threatened to split his head with an axe.

I think having two sons with Karen and one son with Michele has mellowed him quite a bit, and he has devoted himself to being the best father he can be. I'm not sure, but the whole situation with his ex-girlfriend Bebe Buell catting around on him and getting pregnant with Steven Tyler's baby while they were together might have embittered him somewhat. Bebe letting the 11 year old Liv Rundgren know that the man she thought was her father was not her biological father couldn't have helped either, and Liv adopting Tyler's name had to be the icing on the cake.

21. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

John was honest - he spoke his mind and what you saw was what you got.

With his amazing gift for words I'm surprised that he never wrote anymore books after "A Spaniard In The Works".

22. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

cop that Rudd.

23. jroyen

jroyen Forum Resident

To be the best, you have to challenge the best. But quite frankly Todd was way out of his league.

I like some of Todd's output where it more grounded and doesn't sound completely insincere. At least John's ego didn't overshadow his work with the Beatles and solo, which is saying an awful lot. :)

24. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

It actually doesn't matter what those around John thought of Lennon's state of happiness at that time. John himself said it was horrible, and of course christened it his "Lost Weekend". Just because May Pang loved her involvement in it, and the fans enjoyed John reuniting with Paul and John's working with Bowie and Elton, etc, doesn't necessarily mean John was satisfied or at his most content.

Syd Avett and Comet01 like this.
  25. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

As for Todd -- these days I only consider him as that paunchy guy who's long overstayed his welcome as part of Ringo's All-Starr Band .

Huck Caton and DrBeatle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.