Lennon in response to Todd Rundgren

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zphage, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Just curious what your issues are with Todd? No problem, he's not for everyone, but what specifically bothers you?

2. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I don't know, but I just wanted to put forth Lennon's take on things too, from the Old Grey Whistle Test interview.

3. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Sounds nice enough to me. And, I presume, to those who received the gesture. I think the flowers were from John -- after all, he was the jerk who ran his mouth and belittled Dick Smothers.

4. Buick6

Buick6 Forum Resident

I said "To be fair hitting the waitress was accidental but equally he was out of control" He was out of control because he had been hitting the bottle. Does it really matter that he was out of control on booze or out of control on drugs or out of control on something else? I thought I did cover the fact that John was out of it.

I'm just not going to make excuses for a grown man because of that. He knew what he was doing when he was drinking, it was a choice, so it doesn't provide a free pass for the out of control end result.

However, as I said "A person is not only defined by their mistakes and Todd might well have been best not to comment"

Though I do wonder why you make excuses for John and defend his behaviour as human but then you don't make the same allowances for Todd who's reaction was human too.

5. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

"Out of control" could likewise apply to a non-substance abuser. They don't have to be "on" anything to have a sober temper flare-up, for example. I felt you left that drunken part out, so we can agree to disagree there.

Did you read the parts where I called Lennon an idiot and jerk? I criticized him. I also specifically said that he "doesn't get a free pass". I think anyone who makes the choice to abuse booze or drugs fits that description, and John was human, as well. While I wouldn't say he gets a free pass, I also wouldn't say he's supposed to be any less flawed and receive more condemnation just because he was once A Beatle. And let's face it, this kind of thing probably occurs every night to thousands of people in bars and clubs all over the world, and never gets mentioned.

I have no problem with Todd reacting to this. I like it that John told him off in return, and this seems to be what is upsetting some people.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  6. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

You guys are funny :) I find John in his lost weekend phase highly entertaining.

man in the moon and jeatleboe like this.
  7. Buick6

Buick6 Forum Resident

You said "You neglect to mention one crucial thing: Lennon was a terrible drinker and a bad drunk"

The implication of "neglect" is to suggest I have left out a mitigating factor. I don't think that the fact John and Harry chose to get trashed is a mitigating factor. I don't think out of control drunk is somehow more justified or better than out of control sober. I have no strong opinion on that either way I guess it would depend on any given situation.

I read the parts where you said he was an idiot but I also read the parts that immediately followed where you sought to excuse and explain.

I will repeat, I said he made a mistake and that "a person is not only defined by their mistakes". So I am unsure of your issue. No one is saying he isn't human or isn't entitled to be human. However, several people in this thread posted that John said he never hit anyone that night and several people in this thread said it must have been a misunderstanding or mis-perception. I only posted one of many many accounts that tell the story differently, as these incidents happened in a room full of eye-witnesses.

Oh well, hey at least we can agree that Todd is equally entitled to be human too.

8. Buick6

Buick6 Forum Resident

Well sure. As presumably you weren't the one who got hit in the side of the head with a glass or got smacked one for taking a picture :)

Zeki likes this.
  9. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Huh?

10. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

If it wasn't John Lennon, this story would not even be known. And certainly not rehashed 41 years after.

"Do you know who I am??", indeed! :cool:

I think he is equally entitled to be a jerk, yes. :tiphat:

11. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Poor sound all the way around, and his high hat for whatever reason has some delay that makes it sound like it's off the beat the whole time. And the host mispronouncing the album at the end is always a nice touch.

12. Chris DeVoe

On the other hand, you have to grade this on a curve. It's CNBC, a financial news channel, not The Midnight Special or Don Kirshner's Rock Concert.

Given that the sound crew on this show is not normally asked to do much more than clip lav mics onto the ties of various talking heads, they rose reasonably well to the occasion.

13. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

And just nice to have them on to begin with

14. Chris DeVoe

True. I can only imagine the director's reaction upon finding out that CEO of Wealth Preservation Solutions was a former rock drummer and one of the guys he used to play for is in town to do a concert. That's television gold, Jerry! Gold!

It's right up there with Jeff "Skunk" Baxter being a missile defense systems consultant in his spare time.

15. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.