Lennon & McCartney and ' Revolver '

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Sep 23, 2021.

1. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Probably you wrote the fairest and best answer. We’re all I think I can say just glad that they each wrote what they did and helped on the other’s songs in every way they could. I was always too struck by Penny lane but found fixing a hole and she’s leaving home as superb songs with superb vocals. Fixing a hole is possibly my favorite pepper song…astonishingly clear vocals and great lyrics fitting for the time yet timeless.

2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Beautifully said, Michael.

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The problem is, you say something like what I said in the post you quoted and the big mouths come along and say you're a Paul fanboy. And this is simply not true. Regardless of anything, the coolest, most enigmatic Beatle for me has and always will be John. But that's a personal thing. Once I step out of my little bubble, I try to look at things more objectively. Nothing to do with being anyone's fanboy.

4. joy stinson

Well, I remember way back when we were fans of each of them….and could compliment each though maybe had a personal favorite.

5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

True words.

Past Masters and joy stinson like this.
  6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Now, now...we all know a few died-in-the-wool Paul fanboys from the days of the great McCartney song by song thread.

john lennonist and DK Pete like this.
  7. joy stinson

Twas indeed a great thread though sadly some of the posted youtubes on it have now expired. The thread along with a few other Macca forum threads citing songs and YouTubes remind me how great his solo career is.

supermd, JDeanB, Whoroger89 and 2 others like this.
  8. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I find it interesting that the very time McCartney "equals" Lennon in the songwriting department (if we truly believe that) is also the exact time they quit being on the road. If I didn't know better I would have said John would likely be the one to excel and benefit the most from being free from the burden of touring, but as it turned out it seemed to be Paul who got the most from this new freedom. Go figure!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

And! Speaking of fan boys ( or girls), hello , joy.

ARK, joy stinson and DK Pete like this.
  10. I actually think that they all brought their A game to the album.

11. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

What?!

Paul "misremembering" again to claim more credit (he always seems to take more, not less, credit when he comes up with his historical revisions -- "A Hard Day's Night", anyone?) on a hit Beatles song?!

I'm shocked... truly shocked.

12. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

They're fine songs, I like them all. However, Fixing A Hole is pretty unremarkable through the first couple of listens, though I admit it does become better appreciated once you've exhausted the better songs on the album. She's Leaving Home (John's contribution on that one really elevates it) is good and maybe even great if you're a fan of the schmaltzier type of Beatle songs (Long and Winding Road, Let It Be etc.) but I think it drags side one a bit, Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite would've been a better closer. Penny Lane is great, but Strawberry Fields Forever is downright groundbreaking-- but I think when it comes to those two, preference matters more.

13. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

It was more of a group album this time around, as there was more interplay between the songwriters, including outside writers.

John/George - SSSS
    George/John - Taxman
    John/Paul/George/Pete Shotten - Eleanor
    John/Paul/Donovan - Sub

I think there were other odd combos here, but can’t recall them all.

3 George songs on a single LP, too!

14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'd say John and George being less interested in touring coincided with their being less interested in being Beatles. Paul remained extremely interested, and the studio avenue became the only option for him. So he put his all into that and started pulling most of the weight there, writing more, playing more lead guitar, more piano, more involved arranging, and overdubbing more prominent bass lines.

George started more focusing on Indian religion and sitar lessons, John started focusing more on drugs and an avant garde artist. Ringo learned to play chess.

15. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Recent Poll on SHF... aka "The Paul McCartney Forum."

I have noted who the composer / main singer next to each song was below.

Hmmmm... kinda strange, eh?

SONG RANKINGS, IN ORDER:

A Day In The Life 2.891 --- mostly John
    Strawberry Fields Forever 2.840 --- John
    Here Comes The Sun 2.780 --- George
    Penny Lane 2.763 --- Paul
    Help! 2.755 --- John
    I Feel Fine 2.738 --- John
    Dear Prudence 2.724 --- John
    Ticket To Ride 2.721 --- John
    A Hard Day's Night 2.715 --- John
    Rain 2.711 --- John
    Revolution 2.711 --- John
    In My Life 2.709 --- John
    I Am The Walrus 2.694 --- John
    Paperback Writer 2.682 --- Paul
    Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) 2.679 --- John
    You Never Give Me Your Money 2.678 --- Paul
    Something 2.677 --- George
    And Your Bird Can Sing 2.676 --- John
    We Can Work It Out 2.670 --- mostly Paul
    The End 2.670 --- Paul
    All My Loving 2.667 --- Paul
    You've Got To Hide Your Love Away 2.667 --- John
    For No One 2.664 --- Paul
    I Saw Her Standing There 2.646 --- Paul
    Day Tripper 2.641 --- John
    Tomorrow Never Knows 2.632 --- John
    Eleanor Rigby 2.622 --- Paul
    Nowhere Man 2.617 --- John
    Hey Bulldog 2.617 --- John
    She Said She Said 2.608 --- John

16. Whoroger89

Whoroger89 Forum Resident

Generally people like the later albums more then the earlier albums and Paul is more prominent on those albums, strange things indeed

17. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Most peculiar, mama!

18. UnderTheFloorboards'66

That's because of the experimentation in their songs mainly driven by John. Both John and Paul produced their best songs in their later period, but John had a better song ratio than Paul despite being perceived as less prolific.

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

In what way is Paul "more prominent" on the later Beatles albums in general? With the exception of Sgt. Pepper, each album from Revolver onward is roughly an even split in terms of songwriting and lead vocals between them.

20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Respectfully, give it a rest.

21. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

What’s up with the title “Love You To”? Love you to what?

My theory is that the title should’ve been Love You Too. George *was* prone to misspellings, and after all, who was going to correct a Beatle on a spelling on a submitted track list?

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It was very much intentional to spell it the way it was spelled.

23. UnderTheFloorboards'66

Given the thread topic, I think what he pointed out is more than fair. This forum has an obvious warped view when it comes to McCartney. When people here are telling me 'Wild Life' is a masterpiece, it's hard to take them seriously when it comes to their assessment of Paul McCartney in any capacity. That being said, Paul was an absolute genius in his Beatle days, very much equal to John but rarely ever surpassed him.

24. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Interestingly, later John sort of blamed Paul for "subconsciously sabotaging" his songs in the studio, saying how if it was Paul song they recorded and worked on it forever until perfection, but when it was John's track, "suddenly this atmosphere of looseness and experimentation would set in".

25. UnderTheFloorboards'66

That was in retrospect, and I don't believe that was the whole truth, or at least that's not what he was referring to. He loved "I Am The Walrus" because it was so weird, and George Martin constantly recounted how John wanted experimentation on his songs. Just read the account on the making of Tomorrow Never Knows, John wanted real groundbreaking experimentation on that one, both him and Paul went home to mess with tape loops, and John happened to like a particular loop of Paul laughing and included that one among many other loops and effects made on John's insistence.

ronbow and john lennonist like this.