Lennon & McCartney and ' Revolver '

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Sep 23, 2021.

1. stanleynohj

stanleynohj Forum Resident

Plus the solo...absolutely supreme. Perfect and tasty and the tone is delicious. Same with the Get Back solo.

2. stanleynohj

It's no big deal...I just think it's kind of weird to be a fan of something, yet be so weirdly critical all the time. I mean, there's tons of music out there to hate. Most of it!

Beatle Ed 2021 likes this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I love his electric guitar playing on POB which is around the time this quote is from.

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...but most importantly, the fact that he came up with it.

ARK, 2141, john lennonist and 4 others like this.
  5. CaptainFeedback1

CaptainFeedback1 It's nothing personal.

They were four ordinary, flawed human beings who made some great music. I just don't go in for hero worship like I see here, I don’t get that. All I've done is express my opinion, folks don't have to agree with me.

2141, DK Pete, Gila and 1 other person like this.
  6. CaptainFeedback1

That's not what I said, is it?

7. stanleynohj

It's not about hero worship (although what the hell is wrong with that, what's wrong with being a fan of something that most people feel is pretty great, as good as pop music gets), it's about being negative and critical for no good reason, even more so if they are knocking them personally.

I don't agree with you at all, and I'm expressing my opinion.

8. stanleynohj

You said, "If you don't agree, well that's no concern of mine."

How is that not saying, "here's my opinion, I don't care what the opinion is of anyone who disagrees with me."

Seems pretty pompous and rude to me...along with your comments about John Lennon, who really needs no defending, musically or otherwise.

john lennonist and HfxBob like this.
  9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Oh come on now…

This thread has turned into such a **** show by pitting John and Paul against each other and uber fans of each crapping on the other. Both were/are brilliant and amazing songwriters. End of story. Cut this nonsense out.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    2141, cyril sneer, BellaLuna and 7 others like this.
  10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You had me until you left “I Want To Tell You” and “Good Day Sunshine” as footnotes and refused to mention “Taxman” by name.

2141, HfxBob, DK Pete and 3 others like this.
  11. Beatle Ed 2021

Beatle Ed 2021 Forum Resident

Yes, the discussion has (yet again) turned into one Beatle versus another and completely sidetracked the topic on hand (Revolver)!

I see two brilliant songwriting forces in Lennon and McCartney (a third was added later on) and feel no need to praise one at the expense of putting down the other. It's childish. I definitely have my favourite between them, yes, but that does not take away from the other's talent! They were different types of songwriter, for sure. But both contributed absolute timeless classics to the catalogue. Lennon, for instance, offered in essence Strawberry Fields, In My Life, A Hard Day's Night, I Am The Walrus, Norwegian Wood, Ticket To Ride. McCartney, for instance, offered Penny Lane, And I Love Her, Eleanor Rigby, Blackbird, Get Back, For No One. A small fraction of each person's output. Those songs would have been knocked into shape and tweaked / amended by the others, yes, but the initial idea and main thrust would have been offered to the group by those persons. George Martin's role in shaping the arrangements can not be underestimated either.

Now, you could argue that both men never again offered anything as potent as their Beatles output after the group split up. But that doesn't diminish what they did between 1962 and 1970 (and nor does it illustrate any lack of talent on one or other's part)! Rather, it highlights the exceptional abilities of them and the four - notably while they were under unprecedented pressures. Lots of influencing forces and factors were at play after the split though (personal, business, creative etc etc) which all conspired against them making the quantity of world class music again. Any basic Beatles fan worth their salt should know that though, rather than play Y off against X in order to elevant Y's ability! Lennon and McCartney clearly both had that spark of musical genius about them which comes our way very rarely - and nowhere is that more apparent than on Revolver! Let's celebrate!

12. Gratefully Deadicated

Gratefully Deadicated Escaping through the lily fields

I love all The Beatles equally as well as all the band's catalog with Revolver being one of the ones I play the most.

2141, Crimson Witch, supermd and 3 others like this.
  13. CaptainFeedback1

"Here's my opinion, you are equally entitled to yours but I won't be getting bent out of shape if your opinion differs from mine." Does that work better?

All opinions are valid, whether one agrees or note. It's meant to be a forum, you know, for debate. A place to exchange ideas and opinions!

HfxBob and ODIrony like this.
  14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Actually, the topic at hand has been Lennon vs. McCartney since the very first post of this thread, which asserted that McCartney "overwhelms Lennon in every way" on the Revolver album, and adds that Lennon is "outmatched."

It's too bad people have begun to get snotty and disrespectful of conflicting opinions, but it's always been a "vs" thread.

RudolphS, ARK, 2141 and 11 others like this.
  15. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Are you trying to turn this into a solo Paul thread? :tsk:

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Taxman is definitely elevated by Paul's solo but it stands as a great 1966 Rock song overall.

17. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I love Taxman (though not the real tax man).

DK Pete and ODIrony like this.
  18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

…(no, definitely not the real one).

HfxBob likes this.
  19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I don't skip Taxman - I just enjoy the groove, wait for the solo to add some musical interest, and try to ignore the stupid lyrics. It's no worse than Captain Soul if I do that.

I skip Love You To unless I am listening to vinyl

20. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Let me tell you how it will be
    There's one for you, nineteen for me

I thought that was pretty good, especially when I found out they really were getting taxed at 95%!

Rojo, ODIrony, DK Pete and 1 other person like this.
  21. stevenson66g

stevenson66g Hand me my Revolver

All 3 songwriters contributed great songs to the album. My favourite George song is on the album, as is my favourite Paul song. My favourite John song missed the album by a few months.

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It is a haphazardly ordered bunch of tossed off one liners complaining about how they don't get to be rich enough.

A complete embarrassment compared to:

"Your day breaks, your mind aches
    You find that all her words of kindness linger on
    When she no longer needs you"

(Or even something like Don't Bother Me which is no great shakes but at least expresses an emotion)

23. teag

teag Forum Resident

If you enjoy depressing songs.

24. Big Sur 4/4 version

Big Sur 4/4 version Forum Resident

Haven’t read all 37 pages and have absolutely no plan to.
    But I’ve tried several times, I don’t think I’ll ever get POB.
    Sounds like a dude screaming and yelling at me about why he, a rich overly pampered manchild who lives a life of luxury and constant praise I could never even imagine, has such a bad life.
    That can work if it has the music and poetry or whatever to back it up, but POB doesn’t.
    Imagine is a lot better, and I like several tunes off of double fantasy, but POB has never connected with me.
    As for McCartney, most of his output from RAM and Wildlife, and then again most of his stuff from 76-79, puts me right to sleep.
    McCartney, red rose Speedway, band on the run and especially McCartney II are great.

25. Big Sur 4/4 version

Big Sur 4/4 version Forum Resident

As for Revolver, I think they’re about equal.
    Both were making absolute tunes