Let It Be 50th Anniversary (pt. 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GlassPepper, May 11, 2020.

1. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

There seems to be a few different ways to look at this. One is an improved version of the Let it Be / Let it Be Naked album. Here the best guess is they keep it at two versions, Spectorized and Paul McCartney's vision. Second is full rooftop. Nuff said

The third is something to follow the new film. Hopefully we get some new material cleaned up here.

I went back to my old Boots and tried to find what is worth hearing not officially released. Truly most of it is mediocre at best or politically incorrect.

The contenders might be Tennesse, Save the Last Dance for Me; House of the Rising Sun, Rip it Up/ Shake Rattle and Roll, Yakety Yak; Blue Suede Shoes, Suzy Parker, No Pakistanis, You Really Got a Hold on Me; Roll Over Beethoven, Hail Hail Rock and Roll, Commonwealth, and some other snippets here and there. Almost none of it really all that good. I would love to be surprised here but ......

2. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

I think Suzy Parker is a must.

Fred1970, jricc, marklamb and 3 others like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

One of the best "jams" out of the whole sessions. Loads of fun.

BUT since it was only done at Twickenham, it may not be included in the audio set (it still may appear in the Peter Jackson film, as it did in the original Let It Be film). It has been suggested by some people here that Giles may avoid all of the material recorded at Twickenham for inclusion in the box set. He may only concentrate on stuff recorded at the Apple basement studio. I do understand the logic of that argument.

We'll find out in about a year (it's going to be a long wait).

4. Arnold Grove

No Pakistanis/Commonwealth will be the lead single to promote the set... :hide:

Seriously, those songs will NEVER see the official light of day.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  5. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

I wonder if we will get anything released to hold us over?

6. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Ahh yes ofcourse that’s true. I was thinking about Glyn Johns mixes, but he did ofcourse mix two different takes. Both the Get Back album take and the Get Back single take.

boggs likes this.
  7. Arnold Grove

I doubt that anything will be released now, or anytime time soon, to hold us over.

As others had stated, and as all available evidence seems to point to, the whole shebang --- Peter Jackson film, Get Back book, Deluxe audio set, etc. --- won't be out until August 2021 (approximate), if all goes well and the pandemic subsides.

Karl Denver likes this.
  8. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Agreed. Hopefully they can do something with that for an audio release. Tons of fun.

kevintee likes this.
  9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well... not officially, anyway...

But they have been spotted in the wild from time to time... :ignore:

10. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I think this question has been answered already... :shh:

11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

No version of Let It Be will ever be completely free from Phil's fingerprints.

He picked the [best] takes and he made several edits that have become standard [Dig A Pony, I Me Mine, etc.]

12. Karl Denver

I just wonder if they may want to get another deluxe edition out of another album (maybe first quarter) before the big Get back/Let it be campaign kicks off? Because once we get to the second half of 2021 I’m sure Apple will only want to focus on that. If the goal is to release the whole catalog in Deluxe form, I think every year that goes by will probably be less of an opportunity to maximize sales(because of the demographic getting older, physical sales dwindling, Etc.).

13. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

"Confirmed" by a blog, I don't think anything's actually been solidified officially yet.

beatleroadie and schnitzerphilip like this.
  14. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

The complete rooftop concert is compulsory in this documentary!

Lewisboogie and beatleroadie like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Anything is possible. But I just don't know if they had a "Plan B" (or "C") at the ready. There is a real lot of work that they put into those Deluxe sets (both audio-wise and book-wise). So even if they suddenly switched gears and tried to release Revolver in say April 2021, I just don't know if they could actually pull it off. The Beatles wheel turns extremely SLOW, and to get all 4 members to agree to anything can often be very time-consuming even under the best of circumstances.

16. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I can understand the sentiment but are they likely to include the re-takes of certain songs?

I could see the documentary including every different song performed and then alternate versions included as a bonus feature.

beatleroadie likes this.
  17. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Anyone else have Let It Be anniversary fatigue...I'm exhausted. :laugh:

18. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

October 2, 1984
    Coming up on 36 years!
    [​IMG]

19. beatleroadie

Agree, I don't think Apple operates quite at the level of having Plan B and C at the ready in case Plan A goes off the rails. I think they operate more like "If Plan A is derailed we wait till Plan A can get back on track..." and...Here we are!

Of course, they could still surprise us with something "small" at the holidays this year (Christmas Album compiled on one CD/LP or the Anthology albums reissued on vinyl or something like that), but I don't think it'll be a deluxe set for another album or even Anthology in 4K on Blu-ray, as those would be major undertakings with planning and work starting at least a year ahead of time, and we know things didn't change with the Get Back documentary until this spring, so not enough time for a major new project by December...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  20. beatleroadie

Maybe the takes of DLMD and IGAF that don't make it into the documentary will be seen over the end credits? (and of course the full performance uncut as a bonus feature on the blu-ray) That would be a good way to do it, I think, so that the pace and momentum of the rooftop concert as the climax of the film doesn't slow down for multiple takes of the same song...

Bink likes this.
  21. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

I almost put "fingerprints" in quotes but didn't want it to sound like I was referring to his terrible crime. Some of his decisions would almost inevitably be repeated even by a new producer / compiler who'd never heard Spector's version.
    The edits are fine to keep; I Me Mine is kinda an obvious call since it's so short. Phil lifted the use of between-song banter from the unreleased Get Back albums. And the takes he used are takes that, of course, he had nothing to do with recording— like everything save some overdubs. I'm just thinking this would be a fine time to lose his recorded contributions, yet doctor it up anew so it could still be Let It Be as opposed to Get Back. There is no reason, other than sales, to issue yet another Let It Be, remixed or not, without some significant change. It's not like Beatles fans lack a copy, two to choose from just on CD, and it's not like new listeners would bemoan the absence of Spector. I wonder if any sales would be lost, even, from either/any demographic, if such a deluxe set did not include yet another version with Spector all over it. I don't expect this, though I do feel strongly that it'd be a worthy endeavor. This is more my wish list, as opposed to thinking the possibility that some version of Get Back album being included is a "fantasy" on my part, as other poster claimed.

jmxw and Lewisboogie like this.
  22. Karl Denver

I wonder what their pipeline looks like, how far out they think about projects? Do they have a plan for these deluxe editions? Or are they seeing how each one goes? I agree with you about the wheel turning slow. I guess we’ve been spoiled in the last few years!

23. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

I happen to love what Spector did. Especially Harrison’s blazing guitar solo on Let It Be. I want that to remain in the 2021 SDE. I also never had a problem with Long and Winding Road strings/choir since that was version ingrained in my head back in 1970. McCartney had his say in 2003. I like the 1970 version better. Just my two cents.

24. beatleroadie

I get what you're saying, but I think Mr. Harrison was the main reason and of course the one who executed his guitar overdubs on Let it Be. I'm all for giving Spector credit (for better or worse) on the strings and choral overdubs, but George played the guitar and I don't think Phil forced him to or even had the original idea to change the solo. That's got George all over it.

Library Eye, Lewisboogie and Fabsmith like this.
  25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I was never a huge fan of TLAWR one way or the other; I actually dislike Paul's overly done "crooner" vocal on the Spector version. He uses this put-on vibrato in his singing which i find very annoying. That said, as a recording, I think the Spector version moves along much nicer than the piano-only version which, to my ears, drags. The Spector version as I've said many times before, also makes for a better single. Far as the LIB album overall, I think Spector gets very short-rifted. The songs all sound great and putting in some studio chatter was a great touch and *very* different for a studio album by any band, The Beatles in particular. And as I've said another 100 times, I think these days people find it 'the right thing to say' when they knock the Spector album...I don't remember anyone complaining in 1970 as the album flew up the charts.