Let It Be 50th Anniversary (pt. 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GlassPepper, May 11, 2020.

1. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

I don't think it was confirmed in the first place, so there was no need to announce a delay of it.
    But, indirectly, by saying it won't be called "Get Back", Mike today is indeed confirming that the box set (with, I presume, the old LET IT BE movie as a bonus) IS coming.

marklamb, Karl Denver and Beatlemen like this.
  2. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

From Amazon.com:

The Beatles: Get Back https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935112960/

Product Description

The most anticipated book in more than a decade by the legendary band, The Beatles: Get Back is the official account of the creation of their final album, Let It Be, told in The Beatles’ own words, illustrated with hundreds of previously unpublished images, including photos by Ethan A. Russell and Linda McCartney. Half a century after the 1970 Let It Be album and film, this milestone book coincides with the global release of Peter Jackson’s documentary feature film, The Beatles: Get Back.

The book opens in January 1969, the beginning of The Beatles’ last year as a band. The BEATLES (The White Album) is at number one in the charts and the foursome gather in London for a new project. Over 21 days, first at Twickenham Film Studios and then at their own brand-new Apple Studios, with cameras and tape recorders documenting every day’s work and conversations, the band rehearse a huge number of songs, culminating in their final concert, which famously takes place on the rooftop of their own office building, bringing central London to a halt.

The Beatles: Get Back tells the story of those sessions through transcripts of the band’s candid conversations. Drawing on over 120 hours of sound recordings, leading music writer John Harris edits the richly captivating text to give us a fly-on-the-wall experience of being there in the studios. These sessions come vividly to life through hundreds of unpublished, extraordinary images by two photographers who had special access to their sessions―Ethan A. Russell and Linda Eastman (who married Paul McCartney two months later). Also included are many unseen high-resolution film-frames, selected from the 55 hours of restored footage from which Peter Jackson’s documentary is also drawn.

Legend has it that these sessions were a grim time for a band falling apart. However, as acclaimed novelist Hanif Kureishi writes in his introduction, “In fact this was a productive time for them, when they created some of their best work. And it is here that we have the privilege of witnessing their early drafts, the mistakes, the drift and digressions, the boredom, the excitement, joyous jamming and sudden breakthroughs that led to the work we now know and admire." Half a century after their final performance, this book completes the story of the creative genius, timeless music, and inspiring legacy of The Beatles.

Review
    "It would be fair to say that today Let It Besymbolizes the breaking-up of The Beatles. That’s the mythology, the truth is somewhat different. The real story of Let It Be has been locked in the vaults of Apple Corps for the last 50 years.” ― Peter Jackson

About the Author
    THE BEATLES are the bestselling music act of all time. Between 1962 and 1970 John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr released thirteen albums as a band, made five films together, and topped the charts all over the world. Until 1966 they toured the world to unprecedented mass acclaim, inspiring the phenomenon of Beatlemania. Their creativity stretched the possibilities of popular music and ― working with their producer George Martin ― they revolutionised studio recording processes. They had an unrivalled impact on the music industry, fashion, popular culture and society in the 1960s and beyond, and their influence persists today.

PETER JACKSON is an Academy Award winning director, producer and screenwriter. His films include The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbittrilogies as well as the BAFTA nominated World War One documentary They Shall Not Grow Old. In 2018 he began work on a new documentary about The Beatles' 1969 Get Backsessions, making use of the 55 hours of footage that have never been seen.

HANIF KUREISHI is the author of The Buddha of Suburbia, which won the Whitbread Prize for Best First Novel, The Black Album, Intimacy, The Last Word, The Nothing, and What Happened? His screenplay for My Beautiful Laundrettereceived an Oscar nomination for Best Screenplay. Kureishi has been awarded the Chevalier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, the PEN Pinter Prize, and is a Commander of the Order of the British Empire. His work has been translated into thirty-six languages.

JOHN HARRIS writes for The Guardian andMojo magazine. His books include The Last Party, about the culture of the 1990s, and the definitive account of Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side Of The Moon. In 2018, he contributed an essay to the 50th anniversary edition of The Beatles’White Album.

ETHAN A. RUSSELL is a multiple Grammy®-nominated photographer, director and author of four books. He is the only photographer to have shot covers for The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and The Who. He was invited by The Beatles to photograph the band’s recording sessions in January 1969 and his images adorn the sleeve of the Let It Be album.

3. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

From Amazon
    Product details
    • Item Weight : 4.6 pounds
    • Hardcover : 240 pages
    • ISBN-13 : 978-0935112962
    • ISBN-10 : 0935112960
    • Publisher : Callaway Arts & Entertainment (August 31, 2021)
    • Product Dimensions : 10 x 1.5 x 11.88 inches
    • Language: : English

4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

By the (great) artwork I expect the size of the book the same as The Beatles Anthology.

[Edit:]
    Okay, nearly.^^

5. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

...is coming...soon?

6. Cristiano Cortellazzi

You’re asking too much now :whistle:

kevintee, dormouse and applejam101 like this.
  7. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

It's funny how the official image shows John on piano. You don't usually think of him at a piano during the Beatles.

8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Anyone recall any songs done at Twickenham where John played piano while Paul sang? I think he played Piano on All Things Must Pass but can't recall much else.

9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Ok... the big question on my mind, and I'm sure everyone else's as well...

Is John playing piano or just playing guitar sitting on the piano bench? [At this resolution I can't make it out for the microphones/music in the way...]

Rfreeman likes this.
  10. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Well in the early days of their recording career, it was more often John on keyboards than Paul.

gmcjj and richierichie like this.
  11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Beat me to it by a few minutes... but.. now that I'm thinking about it...

Did John play any piano on the Let It Be project..? [If so, I'm not remembering it.]

12. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Not on any officially released songs. (Or perhaps Dig It, can’t remember now)

jmxw likes this.
  13. Stu66

Stu66 Forum Resident

John was on the 6 string bass for "Dig It".

jmxw and Kim Olesen like this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I think he did on some takes of All Things Must Pass at Twickenham. He played Electric Piano on lots of stuff one day at Twickenham but it was during the period that George had quit.

Who Cares likes this.
  15. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Both, and the finished product is on Old Brown Shoe

16. LFSDoc

LFSDoc time has told me not to ask for more

Picture very likely showing them playing She Came In Through The Bathroom Window from January 9th

Who Cares, RayS and Rfreeman like this.
  17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

John on piano - obvious at :05-:07

Who Cares likes this.
  18. Cristiano Cortellazzi

19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

John on piano

20. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

Off topic, but what will you all think will happen with Across The Universe if there is a box set?

Shaddam IV and beatleroadie like this.
  21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Yup, January 9th (George in blue), and "Bathroom Window" is a Paul on bass, John on piano song, at least at the time.

22. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Some pretty uninspiring artwork. Still, at least a notch up from the Ron Howard misfire.

BeatlesBop and sonnyrock like this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The snippet 'John's Piano Piece' on the bonus disc of Let It Be... Naked obviously presents John playing something on piano.
    It's often thought he plays an early (then yet unfinished) version of 'Imagine' there.

Shaddam IV, Dugan, lordcat and 3 others like this.
  24. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Maybe a mix of the charity album version that's just the Beatles playing and singing on it, before the Apple Scruffs overdubs and before the wild life sound effects and at the recorded speed?

lordcat likes this.
  25. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I don't care much either way, but given that Giles has put his hand on mixing the outtakes for the deluxe Beatles sets, I don't see why he wouldn't also mix this stuff, even if he remains "faithful" to the raw sound Johns settled on with his Get Back attempt....It'll certainly sound better if Giles works on them, IMHO.

Shaddam IV, ronbow and marklamb like this.