Let It Be 50th Anniversary (pt. 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GlassPepper, May 11, 2020.

1. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I predict that what we get will be vanilla. Improved Let It Be Phil Spector version. Full Rooftop. Somewhat improved Let it Be Naked. Add back Don't let me Down. Throw in jams used in original movie plus a few more well known booted items.

For the Deluxe version throw in a Dolby Atmos and 5.1 mix of the Spectorized album.

No Pakistanis does not make the cut.

Mickey2, ODIrony, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  2. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

One of the Glynn Johns’ versions is a must. It’s a part of the LIB legacy.

Marsh1 and mrdon like this.
  3. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

In that case we would definitely get a soundtrack to the Get Back film, which in and of itself would have some unique mixes of a lot of these songs and at least a few unreleased bits. We know Giles is working on the audio for the film.

ODIrony and angusyoungfan23 like this.
  4. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I don't know if any any info has previously leaked in respect of the audio releases, specifically regarding the intentions for marking the new film and the original album with an SDE.

I have had my eye on a special multi-disc edition of the Let It Be album (updated Spector mix, Johns mix, outtakes from the sessions, rooftop gig etc.) but it will be quite strange if we do not get a standalone film soundtrack to mark the release of the film. This poses quite a problem as they were presumably scheduled to emerge within a few months of each other. Do they roll them into one and if so you have a title issue if the film is called Get Back. You cannot really have an anniversary album with a different title and likewise you cannot have a film soundtrack with a different name. If it is two distinct products sourced from exactly the same material how do you divide the, ahem, flaming pie? If I have missed a whole debate on what is expected or even some leaks then I'm sorry but it must be posing something of a dilemma for release.

I was thinking that perhaps the film would be marked with the complete rooftop session and that this may be dropped from the SDE but would that sit well? The film appears to be a look at how the sessions were not as gloomy as everyone believed so you would expect that to be reflected in some way in the soundtrack - humorous links and the odd unfinished track (the Octopus's Garden segment perhaps being an example). I think that this splitting of the material is going to be a bit more problematic than may be expected. Alternatively they may just have a clever way of titling both that will get over the problem.This then gives us a slight issue with the release date. Does it all come out at the same time with the film or...?

Anyone have any ideas what may be expected? Presumably Giles will have worked on both projects but I don't recall him specifically mentioning the anniversary set. I believe he has said that he was working on the film soundtrack.

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  5. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

It does sound awfully sanitized when you put it like that.

6. Somerset Scholar

As regards the 50th anniversary of Let it Be, it has been and gone. I don't think we are getting a straight remix of the original Let it Be album, therefore.
    The film is The Beatles Get Back. So the new album will be tied to that, which hopefully is no bad thing as there is plenty for Giles to play for in creating a definitive version of the album. It is potentially huge for Giles, so I'm hoping he does pull it off and go down in Beatles folklore after his earlier efforts on remixed albums have received a mixed response.

J Alesait likes this.
  7. originalsnuffy

I don't think anybody will be particularly confused if the Box set is called Get Back (or Get Back, Don't Let Me Down, and 22 others....). Get Back is a well known Beatles track even if you don't know the whole history.

I have a ton of boot versions of Glynn John mixes; never have figured out which ones I like best. I gave up on that when I realized that somebody was going to curate all of this stuff; most likely well. Giles hit his stride with the last two deluxe editions (I was a bit on the fence with Sgt. Peppers).

8. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

The 50th anniversary can be celebrated the whole year. I think the music box set didn't come out in the spring (apart from the pandemic) because they wanted it to coincide with the film, which was announced for September quite some time ago. I'm sure there will be a straight remix of the original Let It Be album. All the albums will be remixed, I don't see any reason to put that in question now.

Beatlemen, Spencer R and marklamb like this.
  9. beatleroadie

Maybe choice outtakes (some Anthology-style edits/flyins even), the complete rooftop and a John's Get Back, all go into a 2CD/3LP THE BEATLES: GET BACK official soundtrack released in Sept along with the film...

And the original Let It Be soundtrack LP simply gets a basic remix/reissue with no bonus tracks attached in Nov/Dec for the holiday market (perhaps this CD is packaged with the original LIB doc on Blu-ray in a 2-Disc set). That's one option that hasn't been talked about much on these forums.

This approach keeps the original album and original documentary together, while first giving the big spotlight and all the extras and bonus content to the new "improved" product, which is Jackson's Get Back film.

This approach would also fulfill the original press release's promise of the 1970 LIB film being made available "later" after Get Back is released, while also explaining why LIB didn't get a remix and release in May on its actual anniversary like the other sets have. This theory checks all the boxes.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  10. originalsnuffy

I wonder what is next after Let it Be/Get Back? I would be really into a box of Rubber Soul / Revolver.

11. Somerset Scholar

I would hazard a guess and say remixes of all the other studio albums.
    Possibly other unexpected releases like the singles box set we had last year.
    Can see the EP's getting released again for example.
    I think Universal will really try to milk the catalogue and no complaints from me.

ODIrony likes this.
  12. Somerset Scholar

You sound like my partner. She celebrates her birthday weeks before and weeks after....

13. beatleroadie

2CD/1 Blu-ray (+ 2LP) sets for remixed Rubber Soul, Revolver and Magical Mystery Tour.

After that, I'd love to see all the Past Masters tracks remixed and repackaged with a different name and better album art, personally. There's a reason the single masters weren't remixed for the album anniversary sets!

14. angusyoungfan23

angusyoungfan23 OOOH BABE

15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

They let Giles remix Pepper, the White Album, and Abbey Road. I’d be stunned if they don’t let him remix Let It Be, particularly as, out of those four albums, it needs a remix the most.

Geordiepete and angusyoungfan23 like this.
  16. angusyoungfan23

angusyoungfan23 OOOH BABE

But his father didn't produce LIB. George Martin did produce a vast chunk of TWA, so Giles remixing makes sense.

17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I don’t think whether or not his father produced the album has any bearing on this decision.

18. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Not relevant.

19. beatleroadie

It would be strange for Giles to be working on the music for the Get Back film (which is confirmed), and not be hired to remix basically the same set of material for the Let It Be album. That doesn't make sense. If LIB is getting a remix, it'll be Giles overseeing it. Bet on it.

20. trusso

trusso Forum Resident

it’s a pretty safe bet that no one will be remixing anything other than Giles. I believe he is in charge of their catalog at this point.

21. A well respected man

Well, as a regular buyer of physical media (films and music), I can tell you the anniversary editions don't need to coincide with the exact date of the anniversary, the whole year is considered fair game.

supermd and ODIrony like this.
  22. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Know the feeling. Our youngest is 32 and doesn't have a birthday she has a birthmonth. In December no less.

23. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

How 'bout the NEXT year!?!?!...thought prompted by 2020 release of ABB 50th commemorative anthTrouble No More !?!?!?!

24. A well respected man

The anniversary editions have to coincide with the year of the anniversary (the Latin root "anno" means "year"). I don't know what's the deal with that ABBA release, but I would say it's an exception.

25. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

The Allman Brothers Band box @Dovetail7 refers to came out late. ABB’s debut was 1969. Same thing happened with what was supposed to be the 30th anniversary box for Billy Joel’s The Stranger. Album was originally released in 1977, the box set came out 2008.