Let It Be 50th Anniversary (pt. 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GlassPepper, May 11, 2020.

1. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

I suspect Apple has their plans set for 202o. No way they miss having some product for the release of the movie, assuming the planned September release doesn’t change, nor the holiday season.

Could be more than one release (A movie soundtrack, and a separate deluxe LIB) spaced apart by a couple of months, but there will surely product for the holidays.

2. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

ABB---Allman Brothers Band....not ABBA whatever those idiots'names are!?!?!?! n

3. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Well in anticipation of the new box I pulled out some of the "rarities". Most of it really stinks. Kind of brief jams.
    It is not going to be easy to create a satisfying selection of cuts that go much beyond the official canon. There was a sirius XM special on the album and they did have some good quality selections, especially George doing a very nice version of All Things Must Pass.

DTK likes this.
  4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

True. Most of the stuff is poorly played and/or recorded original jams and brief jams on poorly remembered oldies. Very few diamonds in the rough.

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I'm looking forward to the box set, and the movie.

Do we think the new movie will be in the boxset?

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Definitely NOT.

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. JimBop

JimBop Forum Resident

Just had an email from Amazon, the possible book tie in also titled Get Back has had its delivery date moved to November 6th. Still shows release date of Oct 15th on the website. I guess these dates are always in flux until the project gets an official announcement.

8. skynet_osiris

skynet_osiris Forum Resident

guys

To be honest with you, there are a lot of clues, that this is going to be pushed for next year, maybe to April next year... MCarrera absence for once, and one "insider" or at least a person of "interest" that had always shared low profile reliable information … but I would suggest you not to hold your breath on any related Super Deluxe box set Audio release for "Let it be" at least not this year, … I wish I am wrong... it will be at best, a release similar to that travesty that Ron Howard did with the "Hollywood Bowl" album release so expect the Peter Jackson version, the amazon book and maybe (and that is a big if) remaster or remix of either "LIB naked" or the "LIB" everyone knows... I know there are people here that are not going to like these remarks and I am really hoping that time will prove me wrong, but in this case I do not think it will happen :(

9. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

Mike C said in the Flaming pie thread yesterday that Let it be 50 box is coming this year unless there is another World situation in addition to what’s going on now(or something to that effect). He said things can always change but as of right now it’s still coming. I apologize Mike C if I didn’t get your wording exactly right.

Robber Soul, applejam101 and ronbow like this.
  10. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I had a similar email from Amazon regarding the Barry Feinstein George Harrison book. Delivery delayed by a couple of weeks. It seems that lots of 3rd/4th quarter product is getting bumped, probably because of the Covid backlog.

11. The Abbey Road box was such a huge letdown after the previous two boxes. I could not bring myself to buy it. I do hold out hope for this Let It Be anniversary box.

beatleroadie and Beatlemen like this.
  12. skynet_osiris

skynet_osiris Forum Resident

I really... really hope you and Mike are right from the bottom of my Beatle heart... (I know that If Mike said it, It will happen, but as of today, I am in disbelief, so until I have it in my hands I will know is true)

13. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

Again this is what Mike said on the other thread. I have no inside knowledge at all. I’m with you, I really want this set to come out this year and I hope we don’t have to wait.

SunSon likes this.
  14. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I'm sure the intention is to put it out in the run-up to Xmas. This fits with years, no decades, of end-of-year Beatle goodies. But, as we all know, we live in precarious times and a delay is always possible, more so now than in a normal year. All we can do is hope things go to plan.

15. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Guess everybody has their own views. The Abbey Road box was the first one where I regularly play some of the extras. I really like "the Long One" and the version of She's So Heavy that starts with the dialog about playing too loud late at night. I also like having a Dolby Atmos track.

IFP likes this.
  16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I agree that I found more to enjoy in the bonus material for Abbey Road than I did in the bonus material for the White Album, even though I strongly prefer the White Album to Abbey Road.

17. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

I have no regrets about it.

Exotiki and seacliffe301 like this.
  18. The outtakes for Abbey Road sound like, well, outtakes. They sound like rough sketches. They don't add anything. The White Album's extra tracks featured acoustic performances that brought something new to the proceedings.

19. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Yes, and the outtakes for Let It Be sound like a bunch of tired Beatles going through the motions. It's why none will be released.

Movie Soundtrack (2020), Let It Be (1970), and Let It Be Naked (2003) is all that will be remixed and remastered and that shall be the end of this project that the Beatles themselves shelved as below standard.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  20. I still find the extra songs here as better than those on Abbey Road. It was a real band not a group of independently minded folks farting around in Abbey Road studios.

21. schnitzerphilip

I view the extras on Abbey Road as weak because they were far more focused and thus didn't have many (though The Ballad of John & Yoko Take 7 completely made me fall in love with that clunker all these years later).

The Get Back outtakes aren't actually outtakes- they are just alternative unproduced live tracks. There's a difference between an outtake of a produced song and a rehearsal, and Let It Be outtakes would be rehearsals and we've heard enough of those. People keep thinking this is the Great Lost Beatles Project between the masterworks the White Album and Abbey Road and they are wrong. The Beatles knew it was bad and they canned it. Glyn Johns, Let It Be, and Let It Be Naked are enough for fans. Literally, it's time to let this project be.

Lewisboogie and SunSon like this.
  22. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity, what were you hoping to get from an Abbey Road anniversary edition that you didn't get from this?

I thought the early version of the medley with all the rough mixes/unfinished tracks was a remarkable release and a valuable document of an iconic side of rock music history. And the early versions of I Want You, Ballad of John & Yoko and Come Together are so cool. Also thought the remixes of "Something," "Oh! Darling," "Because" and "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight" were vastly superior to the originals where the vocal harmonies/backing vocals really shine. And the book with loads of Linda McCartney photos was great, too. So I was a happy camper.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  23. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I agree but why do we love it?
    For a project that they walked away from they are being hand$omely rewarded for it in 2020.
    The group of songs on Let It Be are superior to those on Abbey Road(imho) and when I hear them I always wish that they would have recorded them in their usual way, for an album that they all wanted to do.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  24. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Come on, we've been there before. 2018: "I'm afraid there won't be White Album Deluxe". 2019: "Sorry, but Abbey Road Deluxe ain't happening". Even maccawings had his doubts that last time, because it took longer than usual to hear from his sources.

I'm sure Let It Be Deluxe is coming this year (unless world events prevent it). I don't have sources or priviledge information, I'm just sure because it makes sense from a business point of view.

Geordiepete, jmxw, JimBop and 4 others like this.
  25. schnitzerphilip

We don’t love it. We tolerate it. We want it to be more than it is, but it isn’t.

Look forward to the movie, Jackson is going to do wonders with it. But the music? Nothing there.

Lewisboogie likes this.