Let It Be 50th Anniversary -Twickenham Rehearsals: What and how?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J Alesait, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

They didn’t and there isn’t.

supermd likes this.
  2. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Just listened to the version I own, at least it's a complete song but I don't think its quality would make it fit for release. However, they did include Maggie Mae on the original Let it be.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Anyone have an educated guess as to who was (or were) the holdout(s) and rejected the Get Back albums proposed by Glyn Johns?

As mentioned, I do not think Paul ever rejected it.

You'd figure John would have been okay with releasing a "raw" album, but who knows? Maybe he was more concerned with the "Beatles image" than he would care to admit. Maybe he was embarrassed by his lack of energy and didn't want to reveal his relatively weak state.

Could it be Ringo? I'd say he'd just go along with the others, but maybe he was much more opinionated than we have been led to believe.

Now, how about George? Over the years, he has been adamant about various things, rejecting certain songs proposed for Anthology. And he was, in general, unhappy during half of the sessions done in JANUARY 1969. So it seems like George would be apt to veto the album. But I just cannot see only George being able to hold up an album if the others wanted it. Thus, I really think that there had to have been at least 2 band members who gave it the thumbs-down.

Any thoughts?

Tom Daniels and J Alesait like this.
  4. SebUK

SebUK Forum Resident

Here's a nice simple edit of two versions of the 'rocky' takes on 'Two Of Us' that gives a glimpse of what some official out-takes could be using no more trickery than was used on the old stuff.
    On Our Way Back Home

5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Why not both? Give us an early Glyn Johns mix, plus the standard 2 discs of outtakes. They can even release the Glyn Johns mix on vinyl like the Esher demos. It can be done. We can have our cake and eat it, too! :)

6. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Although he was quite happy to polish up Let It Be for 45 release.

7. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Only 107 days to go!

8. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

Billy Preston? :hide:

9. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

I love the snippets, the Beatles, as nature intended.

[​IMG]

10. Arnold Grove

Wonder why "Get Back" has uppercase letters to start each word, while "Don't let me down" does not.

Some hidden meaning?

11. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

"River Rhine" was just an improvisation coming out of the Long And Winding Road sessions.

12. Arnold Grove

And "The Long And Winding Road" was just an improvisation coming out of Paul's _ _ _ ...

Oh never mind... ;)

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That’s it! Thanks

14. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

John Lennon Official on Instagram:

[​IMG]

"APPLE STUDIOS, 1969⠀
    Let It Be/Get Back Sessions, Day Eleven. ⠀

@TheBeatles moved from Twickenham Studios to the more comfortable environment of the studio in the basement of their offices at 3 Savile Row, with George Martin producing and Glyn Johns engineering. Billy Preston sat in on piano, which also helped to create a much more pleasant and professional working environment and, as Ringo put it, "the ******** went out of the window and we got back to doing what we did well."⠀

I Shall Be Released (Bob Dylan cover, 2 takes)⠀
    Let It Down (Harrison)⠀
    Don’t Let Me Down (Lennon/McCartney, 18 takes)⠀
    I’ve Got A Feeling (Lennon/McCartney, 29 takes)⠀
    Some Other Guy (Richie Barrett cover)⠀
    Johnny B. Goode (Chuck Berry cover)⠀
    Dig A Pony (Lennon/McCartney, 24 takes)⠀
    Going Up The Country (Canned Heat cover)⠀
    The Long And Winding Road (Lennon/McCartney, 3 takes)⠀
    A Taste Of Honey (Bobby Scott/Ric Marlow cover)⠀
    Oh! Darling (Lennon/McCartney)⠀
    I’m Ready (Fats Domino cover)⠀
    Rocker (The Beatles)⠀
    Save The Last Dance For Me (The Drifters cover)⠀
    Carol (Chuck Berry cover)⠀

Apple Studios, 3 Savile Row, Mayfair #onthisday 22 January 1969"

15. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

It sounds more like the Beatles being bored.

16. ThrasherBird

ThrasherBird Forum Resident

Terrific, hope that whatever does get released for LIB50 includes an electric version of this song.

The wheels definitely seem like they're turning a certain way. Whatever does come out I'm just glad we're getting more Beatles releases - the archival material on the Sgt Pepper/White Album/Abbey Road anniversary releases was phenomenal, keep it going.

andrewskyDE, Who Cares, SebUK and 4 others like this.
  17. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

This link popped up on youtube this week...find it a very nice listen.

Across The Universe 0:00 Another Day 2:42 Let It Down 6:11 Oh! Darling 8:23 I Me Mine 11:03 Gimme Some Truth 12:53 Isn't a Pity 13:51 Sun King/Don't Let Me Down 15:27 Maxwell's Silver Hammer 19:51 Hear Me Lord 23:42 Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight 25:16 All Things Must Pass 27:56

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I got several LP sets of Get Back sessions, as well as CD sets. I’m thinking that A Camera / B Camera rolls might be some of the better transfers w/o so much noise reduction - but the tracks are not indexed as usefully on them, but rather grouped together.

The Get Back Journals 8CD Box Set must be the nicest boot package I’ve seen, with the Get Back book reproduced so nicely. Great notes and a well organized track listing sheet, So far as the Twickenham rehearsals go.

For the Apple Studios sessions, I like the 30 Days set quite well.

Interesting that the original 2LP set Sweet Apple Trax pretty much has remained my favorite collection of the Twickenham tunes with a decent sequence. I got one of the picture discs for the collection too.

The White album to Abbey Road is such a great Beatles period. At 8 and 9 years old I knew it was unique and cool.

PIGGIES and marmalade166 like this.
  19. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I hadn't thought of that. Great idea. I prefer the mid-'69 version but would happily take either on vinyl...or both!

George Martin was involved in that process though, right? Presumably, then, it was very much on Paul's terms, with a sympathetic ear in the producer's chair.

saborlord123 likes this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Yes, George Martin was fully in charge for the "Let It Be" overdubs done in early January 1970.

Six Bachelors and supermd like this.
  21. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident Thread Starter

And it did NOT made George walk out of the rehearsals... that was several days later, after an argument he had with John which was NOT kept on tape it seems. I still wonder why on Earth Lindsay-Hogg included the Paul/George sequence having so much other footage to choose from!!!

coco77, BellaLuna and marmalade166 like this.
  22. J Alesait

And yet, the LIB songs are the ones they decided to record first, because they considered them the best they had at that moment... most of the songs recorded for Abbey Road being actually leftovers from the LIB rehearsals/sessions.

23. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

I would call them unfinished songs, that needed time to mature. Let it Be itself was already rehearsed at the White Album sessions but also not a leftover.

J Alesait likes this.
  24. J Alesait

It all changes if you present them in a rehearsal context (which happens to be the actual case). They were rehearsing their new originals, and in between they did some covers. I've posted upthread my version of a possible "rehearsal" album and I think it's not boring at all...

25. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Just the fact that John sings it in his silly voice and Paul and George mouth the lead-make it more in the realm of You Know My Name...I would have been curious what studio direction it would have taken if John was at the January 1970 session.

ajsmith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.