Let It Be 50th Anniversary -Twickenham Rehearsals: What and how?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J Alesait, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arnt

arnt Forum Resident

I hope they can make a clever medley with the nice bits of several songs (including The Walk, which I like too), but it will be a difficult task.
    I also hope there will be a disc of Let It Be and Abbey Road songs with shows the progress of them.

J Alesait likes this.
  2. WildWildHorses49

WildWildHorses49 Forum Resident

It's just going to be a cohesive flow of tracks that sound good and entertaining, just like the rest of the sets. So yeah, oldies, jams, alternate takes, even interesting dialogues! There's always a way. And they still can edit tracks that they think are too long and "sloppy".

J Alesait likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

They tried a bit of that on ANTHOLOGY 3, where they included "Mailman Don't Bring Me No Blues" and a medley of "Rip It Up/Shake, Rattle and Roll/Blue Suede Shoes". And both of those instances are "okay" or "nice", but nothing amazing (to me at least).

And on the White Album box, they had that great burst of "Baby I Don't Care, You're So Square" --- but it is only about 40 seconds long.

So maybe there are other 40-second bursts of great musical energy during the Get Back/Let It Be sessions. But will the 4 Beatles/estates want to feature just "bursts"?

4. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident Thread Starter

While The Walk certainly is not one of the best January 1969 jams, it was recorded on multitracks, so it probably will be included on the LIB50 set. But, as the saying goes, sometimes less is more, so an edited version is mandatory IMHO. Here I tagged it onto a little medley of acoustic covers I made. It is at the 2:09 mark (actually I think it's two numbers, the first being You Won't Get Me That Way, and then The Walk, at 3:24). Remember this is from the Nagras, so the sound could be much better by just using the stereo recording:

5. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

i wiuld suggest no more or less so than Abbey Road

6. Arnold Grove

Nice job. But I still don't see this as worthy of inclusion.

I like it, because I like to hear this type of stuff. But Apple is not catering to me (or the type of diehard fan that I am), so this again is too lethargic or low-key to really grab the average listener.

I think that Giles would only include something that really excites the listener, rather than including something because that's all they had on the multitracks.

It is very tricky. And I am curious to see how it all plays out when they finally announce the box set and what will be on it.

7. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

Giles does indeed have his work cut out for him! I must admit that even as a lifelong Beatles fan, I have very little time or patience for all those sloppy jams / covers which seemed uniquely to be a trademark of the Get Back sessions.

But...if there are supposedly 140 hours of audio to go through, even if a very low percentage is of a cohesive standard of performance to be considered for inclusion, even (e.g.) if it was just 1 per cent of 140, that's still nearly 90 minutes of recordings. Enough for an extras disc.

As others have said though, what is acceptable in sound and vision is different to what is acceptable in sound only. Peter Jackson did say though words to the effect that the 50+ hours of footage were like a treasure trove. So clearly there is something of quality and value in there!

Time will tell...

8. Arnold Grove

Sometimes, actual footage of the 4 Beatles could be fun to watch, even if the music is sloppy. If they are all smiling or laughing or getting off on each other, then it would be a good scene to include. But without the visuals, it may just be "average" music. So in some ways, Peter Jackson may have an easier task.

Beatle Ed, crossroads69, arnt and 3 others like this.
  9. J Alesait

I agree. It's not the best stuff. Anyways, my guess is Giles is very limited in terms of material to choose from, since I'm beginning think he will only include tracks recorded at Savile Row.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  10. Arnold Grove

For sure, it would shorter the amount of time needed to review material.

Bern and J Alesait like this.
  11. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Back in the 80s when more Get Back/Let It Be outtakes started to leak on vinyl bootlegs, it was a revelation to hear the Beatles trying out songs that eventually came out on solo albums, and oldies like “Bad Boy” and “Almost Grown”. It seemed that every few months a new vinyl boot would present some new little gem - the Beatles doing “Back Seat Of My Car”? Okay, well it turned out to just be Paul on piano. But still exciting. The entire group performing “Child Of Nature” and “Let It Down”. 15 year old me couldn’t do enough chores to send away for those records.

This is the appeal of the Twickenham sessions to me. Previously it was a vacuum, with only rumors and speculation, and just a couple of boots (Sweet Apple Trax, for example). Then we hear these guys doing all these crazy songs. Undiscriminating fans such as myself weren’t too concerned that the performances were sloppy or incomplete. Hearing that stuff was a window on the Beatles that seemed mysterious and forbidden.

On a musical level, most of Twickenham, and most of Saville Row is not releasable, let alone “Beatles” level work that can stand with their other work. If I was consulted on this project, I’d play up the angle that made this material intriguing back in the eighties - it’s a window into the group at work, playing stuff you’d never imagine, and it’s a way of understanding the group that was previously unavailable.

There should be several CDs worth. It should be packaged like the boots, a little unprofessional and unrefined. Include notes from Sulpy to give some context. It should not be presented as “New Beatles songs” under any circumstances.

12. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

It would be hard enough to curate a set of loose jams that is actually enjoyable and “releaseable.” I would have a hard time making those decisions myself.

But then, that set would have to be approved by the 4 principals. I would think that, given the nature of the material, that process of approval would be more difficult than it was for the stuff on the white album and Abbey Road boxes. Very well played and executed stuff.

As Arnold said, great film of a sloppy run through, say All Things Must Pass, which doesn’t even have to be complete in the film to work, is very different from putting that same sloppy run through, in full, on a CD.

Delays in this project and disappointment in how much is actually released seems very likely.

13. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

One possible approach to the Twickenham sessions could be the Evolution mixes that were done for the Imagine deluxe set in 2018. A collage of various rehearsals (from Nagra monos) and takes to show how the track progressed through the sessions (with some studio chat thrown in as well).

Hoping we get an announcement in next 3-4 weeks!

14. J Alesait

Anything will be better than the Fly On The Wall disc on LIBN!!

nasa09, Lewisboogie, Bern and 2 others like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

TWO Flies On The Wall?

;)

16. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

I’d argue that a multidisc box that digs deep into demos, alternate takes, etc., is not for the casual fan so, yeah, I think folks like you (And many of us here) are, in fact, the intended audience. The more casual folks can settle on a two-disc set or something.

Whether short jams/oldies are really feasible, and whether all four principals will allow it, is another story.

I still want the entire rooftop concert, in its entirety included (For me, that’s a selling point on par with the Esher sessions on the White Album box) but I know you and I disagree about that. If it came down to these jams or the rooftop (Not saying it would) I’d go rooftop all the way.

nasa09, Beatlemen and Arnold Grove like this.
  17. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

And I feel just the opposite about this project. I want as much as possible.

Cristiano Cortellazzi likes this.
  18. lightrom

lightrom Ready . . Fire . . Aim!

Yes, I want a special "Kitchen Sink" version featuring everything. Let us decide what is worthy or not. Make it a limited edition version. Include the book. Charge an outrageous price. I will buy it. Throw in some goofy extra like a Beatles Let It Be kitchen apron. If that mega McCartney package of the Wild Life + Red Rose Speedway + Wings Over Europe can sell out, this certainly will. I love the idea of making the artwork for the outtake disc labels look a little like bootlegs. That sounds like a fun contest designing the labels.

I remember seeing a few decades ago a 12 or 16 CD boot set of all the outtakes that were available at the time that included the book. It was large, it was heavy and it was impressive. I have been waiting all of this time for a legit version of that. They could still make a regular deluxe box set based upon the amount of content of the previous deluxe box sets and sell the book separately, but the "Kitchen Sink" version would be for those who want it all, every burp, grunt and belch and are willing to pay for it. Do not hold back on all the extra material until the 60th anniversary because all of us may not be around to enjoy it.

Thank You!

19. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Well February is fast approaching an end and a very uneventful one in regard to solid news on the new LIB/Peter Jackson movie or the LIB50 box set other than the pre-Oscar's footage screening for a select few.

If I remember some sources said that the AR50 box was very tightly under wraps until right before the official word. I am not alarmed but I hope March brings us some "official" news on this front!

20. Arnold Grove

George's birthday (Feb. 25) is tomorrow.

The odds of an important announcement are .... Oh, my keypad won't let me type any numbers. I hate when that happens.. ;)

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  21. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Most flies, they got three legs...

22. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

We all do. Fingers crossed

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  23. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  24. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Three flies were watching over my shoulder as I wrote this,

25. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

I ALREADY have saved my money. That's the problem: I wanna spend it!
    So those folks have to hurry up and come up with something soon, or I think I'll kill someone :uhhuh:

drum_cas and WildWildHorses49 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.