Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Nah, the new mojo doesn’t arrive till at least a month later usually (a lot of times 2 months after the current issue by me, and I’m in NY)
    I usually wind up finding a copy on ebay for a decent price and getting it faster that way

seacliffe301 likes this.
  2. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Apparently Suzy was quite famous in her day. Check out this write up after she died.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...s-at-70/993f6a57-955a-40b4-aa42-d77a56aa5d81/

"She could take on the air of a beat intellectual marching to a different, well, beat. She dressed in black and wore Garbo-like slouched hats to poetry readings and lectures."

Perhaps it was this quality (among others lol) that drew The Beatles to her.

I love her thoughts about being a Super Model. "I'm just an animated clothes hanger." Sounds like a cool lady. :agree:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    BeatlesBop and anthony_beat like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The lyrics don't go much beyond:

Come on Suzy Parker, everybody's welcome to come
    I said come on Suzy Parker, everybody's welcome to come
    Yeah you come to Suzy Parker, everybody gets well done

I don't think anyone would have a legit lawsuit based on those lyrics.

4. karl.dyer

karl.dyer Forum Resident

If there was danger of a lawsuit it probably would have come when the Let It Be film was released, as the song was in the film and ms Parker was still alive to sue.

5. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

There's no way that "Suzy..." is being held back due to a fear of legal action. It's more likely they'd be sued by fans here for not releasing it.

6. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

Joe DiMaggio threated to sue Paul Simon over "Mrs. Robinson"

I could be wrong, but I can't remember where a living person has ever sued someone for defamation for use of their name in a song.

thrivingonariff likes this.
  7. Arnold Grove

It sounds to me that John introduces the song as "Suzy Parlour" and pretty much always sings "Parlour", while Paul in the background sings "Parker" sometimes and "Parlour" at other times. I haven't figured out any pattern to Paul's choice of words.

Note the video is NOT from the original sound recording:

8. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

This would be the line that if someone was overly sensitive might decide to call out. Who says it would have to get all the way to a lawsuit? If the Parker family had a problem with it, and let Apple know in so many words, maybe that would be enough to squelch the song? Possible.

Susan Gagne likes this.
  9. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Apple corps vs the people of the Steve Hoffman Forums.

10. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

you can't liable the dead

Dean R likes this.
  11. Susan Gagne

Susan Gagne Fab4Fan since January 1964

Yes, I knew that. That's specifically why I didn't say the estate could win a libel suit.

12. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Suzy's story also looks very sad, however this not explain why the song had space on the 1970 movie.

13. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

When Giles Martin said 'it's not good enough' I wonder if he was thinking simply of the vocals. This is not Lennon's 'normal' singing voice and the back-up's by George and Paul and pretty rough. It's a shame they didn't put the same effort into this song as they did into the rocker 'One After 909'.

14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I just heard Suzy Parker for the first time. With all the clamoring here for it, I’d have thought it was good. I can live without it.

Kermit27, JeffreyB, JimBop and 8 others like this.
  15. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I always thought that for something seemingly off-the-cuff, it had a good bit of arrangement. They all knew the “dit-dit-dit” backing vocals. I wouldn’t be surprised if it really was one of the original Lennon/McCartney songs. Or a jam from Hamburg. Otherwise, how could they play it as well as they did?

16. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

This site gives a bit more background, and speculation, and as has the last line as “When you come to Suzy’s parlour, everybody gets well done:

Suzy Parker – They May Be Parted

But also admits that’s a best stab, liatening via headphones. Interesting write-up though.

17. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

If “Suzy” was an early Lennon-McCartney song, why wouldn’t it be copyrighted as such?

augustboy, slane, Dean R and 2 others like this.
  18. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Rick Rubin had his chance.

With the promotional machine kicking into high, maybe someone can ask McCartney what the deal is with that song.

BeatlesBop, augustboy and RayS like this.
  19. Marsh1

Marsh1 Forum Resident

Suzy Potter?

20. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I can understand that. To each their own.

But compared to most every other jam from the early part of January 1969, the song sounds like a thunderbolt. It has similar energy to “Baby You’re So Square” from the White Album 50 that was a favorite find for that release. Except this song is an original, with contributions from John, Paul and George!

Inexcusable for it not to be included.

21. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

What’s inexcusable is not including I Lost My Little Girl. Here is McCartney’s first song and Lennon sings it. That should be included just for history’s sake.

omikron, Kermit27, Paul H and 13 others like this.
  22. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I just watched my “import” Let It Be film. I wonder if PJ will use footage that includes echoed versions of the songs, the way they were heard down on the street. I’m thinking not, which is another cause for panic. Those were interesting variations.

23. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

I agree that Suzy Parker should’ve been included here. I think the set lacks a few jams considering the amount they did. Sure, some of them are too short, too rough and completely pointless, but Suzy isn’t one of them. It has great energy put in by all 4 and it’s quite funny too.

A fast, electric Two Of Us and I Lost My Little Girl are also glaring omissions. But hey, we have these and I don’t think there’s going to be much of an upgrade to the sound in this set considering the Twickenham stuff is still in mono.

cublowell, Kermit27, RonBaker and 4 others like this.
  24. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Same here. Hearing it now, it’s just a standard rock improvisation, or little more.

BUT.. I have to agree with many people here who say it’s one of the few uptempo tracks played at Twickenham.
    They had plenty of ballads and were desperate for fast numbers, and this is without a doubt one of them.

Clearly it’s not A Day In The Life, but it makes sense in the Get Back economy. We’ll see if PJ will show it in the doc. After all, he could have found video footage to match it. :)

25. Arnold Grove

Yes, as I mentioned, it sounds to me that John almost always sings "Suzy's Parlour".