Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Every. Single. Thread. Those illogical "he only got the job cause of nepotism" posts keep happening lol. Your emojis are all that I can say and in much less words :D

2. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Don't forget that the two drums tracks were combined via internal bouncing, so for the master take the original two drums tracks no longer exists on the 8-track tape.
    In order to get the original two drum tracks they would need to sync the drums from one of the outtakes to the rest of the master take, which I don't think they did.

3. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

That's true. It does little good trying to educate people, in my experience.

As for Giles, the very nature of mixing is such that you can't make everyone happy. And this is an insane task: trying to improve mixes that are burned into people's DNA at this point.

Sean Murdock, DML71, supermd and 2 others like this.
  4. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

They're probably mad because their fathers wouldn't hire them. :agree:

5. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

You know anymore?

The Elephant Man likes this.
  6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

oboogie likes this.
  7. Zinni

Zinni Active Member

Thanks. That's for sure better than the 12 year old Cedar extractions but it still has a long way to go. I think we'll get there though. This might be a job for AI and machine learning.

Gila likes this.
  8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I’m glad you listened to it.
    I was beginning to think I was a cult of one thinking it was interesting. :D

SRC likes this.
  9. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Yes, but not everyone can be George Martin’s son. I don’t see you doing it. I failed as well.

10. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Remember Mr. Martin was gone for a chunk of the White Album recording, too, when Chris Thomas stepped in (and when CT was producer, I'm sure the band themselves had more of a hand in producer decisions).

I think I've read that John in particular was keen on the idea of essentially producing themselves and just playing live in the studio for Get Back/Let it Be.

I see what you mean about Martin probably being able to help in certain situations, but I think the raw "no producer" aspect was something that really excited them, attracting them to even attempt the project? Seems Martin was around for a couple days more as a courtesy and to check things out (or maybe offer suggestions here and there or get his opinion on the single?) Maybe I've got my memory wires crossed though.

11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I don't remember, sorry.

12. hefeman

hefeman Forum Resident

Maybe this release should have been titled "Leave It Be". :D:shtiphat:

13. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Oh, thanks, I was aware of that one, but the one I was hoping would be on the boxset is much longer. John sings a roll call of all the songs they've worked on and Paul does a sort of 'dig' scat. I don't know how many different versions are out there. I just love this one.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  14. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

The nepotism thing is a dumb argument if it's in the context of remixing iconic Beatles albums. It's probably a good thing if the remixer is thinking of his dad's legacy when he does his work. That's probably why he was chosen by McCartney, the Lennon's, the Harrison's and Starr. If you don't like his remixes don't buy or listen to them.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    jeighson1, Ephi82, Alan G and 3 others like this.
  15. teag

teag Forum Resident

This is true. We are victims of circumstance. Or maybe happenstance. Other than that, we are just as qualified.

16. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

It's interesting, yes, but on a fundamental level it bothers me that people want to "improve" things with what amounts to mathematical guesswork. If I wanted machines guessing about what music should sound like, I could just listen to MP3's. Obviously it's not the same problem, but there is a parallel there of using computer algorithms to figure out how to make something that's convincing to the ear. Lossy compression tries to figure out what can be discarded; de-muxing tries to figure out what parts of the sound can be separated. I worry that we're heading for a situation where nobody listens to original recordings, just computer simulations based in one way or another on machine learning.

thrivingonariff likes this.
  17. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

So if I pick Atmos in the menu I'm hearing DTS HD?

18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Wildlife version - sped up
    Let It Be - slowed down
    Naked and Glyn Johns - correct recorded speed

seacliffe301, No Bull and linklinc like this.
  19. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Wrong analogy there. One is a preference (I care about sound quality) the other one is a skill (I'm good at sex).

20. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

It's not Apple's fault for spreading 3 discs worth of material across 5 discs and charging accordingly?

It's vinyl's fault?

The mental gymnastics that go on just to defend Beatles product are amazing.

Gila, jeighson1 and Pete Puma like this.
  21. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Talking about the Let It Be single remix here (as found on the “Let It Be EP and “1 (2015)” album. It’s the same mix to my ears. Same levels, same placements, same reverbs. Only a bit fuller mastered on the EP.

Sean Murdock, Gila and EmceeEscher like this.
  22. linklinc

linklinc Forum Resident

"Anthology 3" & "White Album Deluxe" versions correct speed also...

BeatlesBop likes this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

True, but different takes. My post was referencing the master take.

linklinc likes this.
  24. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

They are NOT reversed. They are correct.

Coricama, Tingman and supermd like this.
  25. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

I guess if the 'Let it Be EP' was a "last minute" change/addition after the rooftop was nixed, this would make a ton of sense.

They just grab the 1 mix, remaster it to fit more with the rest of the set. The two extant Glyn Johns mixes were already there, and that just left one additional track for Sam and Giles to remix from scratch in Don't Let Me Down, tack on some chat. Voila, an EP.

Diego Lucas and Kim Olesen like this.