Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

This is correct

2. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I was quite familiar with the term but had never heard the derivation. :p

rednedtugent likes this.
  3. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Speaking of the 1 remix, I was listening to a BD rip of 1+ yesterday and when I came across Revolution it occured to me I was listening to something in Hi-Res that even twenty years ago was the providence of bootleggers. Most of the extras on the LIB box, except the Johns related material, I've never heard.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. Detroit Rock Citizen

It means whatever you want it to be. It doesn't matter what your native language is.

Ken Wood likes this.
  5. PaperbackPoetWriter

PaperbackPoetWriter Forum Resident

I am still hoping, they consider replacing 1 while updating Past Masters by having Giles remix and release the complete Beatles singles with A and B-sides on one collection!
    Thoughts?

6. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Even without a regular job, American kids could earn pretty good money mowing lawns, raking leaves, shoveling snow, helping a neighbor paint their house, etc. I worked evenings at a hot dog stand on the edge of town; it paid $2.50/hour... that was equal to £1.00/hour in 1970. I was there by myself, no boss, and there were very few customers after the dinner rush. I did some prep-work for the next day, but had plenty of time to do my homework, listen to the radio, etc. It was a great job.

I managed to save $2,000 by the time I graduated from high school in 1972; money that I anticipated using to relocate to Canada to avoid conscription. Luckily, The Viet Nam War deescalated and THE DRAFT ended.

Different times.

7. slane

slane Forum Resident

Don't know about the orchestral players, but yes it has been known for some time that Linda is on Let It Be, and that George Martin plays shaker on Dig It (IIRC, he is shown playing it in the LIB film).

8. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Wasn't "Penny Lane" remixed again for Sgt. Pepper Super Deluxe?

supermd, zobalob, Paul P. and 3 others like this.
  9. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

I don't think I've ever seen their names and if they'd played together before-no video footage either- maybe we'll never know who's really on "Across The Universe", "I Me Mine", "Let It Be" and "The Long And Winding Road". Maybe they lost the documentation. I see Richard Hewson is credited and some random thank you names I've never seen. I think it's cool that Linda is listed officially and same with GeoMartin-can't remember the last album Martin was credited playing on.

10. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Yeah, for the longest time I thought a new collection of Beatles singles (a 2cd/2 vinyl comp not a box set like was released a few years ago) would be pointless, but I’ve come around to the idea more and more. Remixes of all the original U.K. singles, and not including novelty tracks like Sie Liebt Dich or alternate Across The Universe. Just the singles in a nice package with new liner notes. It’s kind of weird it hasn’t already happened for the Beatles by now. There have been many compilations/greatest hits that have included most of the singles, or box sets with all the individual singles, but not a complete one stop package other then past masters, which I think can be improved on.

Keith V likes this.
  11. Detroit Rock Citizen

Funny thing, I'm actually listening to the rips I made from the 92 CD Singles box. @slane or someone else can get into the technical details like whether these were mastered on Mono tape machines unlike the first four CDs. The thing is that all of the singles up to Get Back plus the song You Know My Name are in Mono. For an authentic experience Giles would have to remix in mono. I doubt Giles would do that. @PaperbackPoetWriter. If you haven't heard or don't have them seek out the original singles and EP packages, They're still my choice for the Beatles best sounding CDs*

* if you like mono that is.

Gavaxeman, Lewisboogie and Keith V like this.
  12. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Mary Hopkin mentioned she also sang on Let It Be, did she get a mention?

13. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

I'll have to pull the SDE book for Abbey Road, but I think G Martin is credited for playing harpsichord on Because? The SDE book for the White Album also credits Yoko (Bungalow Bill, Birthday) and Pattie (Birthday) with backing vocals. So the Linda credit for LIB makes sense.

These books have been great for that, listing contributors where the original album sleeves didn't.

Seems the books are listing anyone known for certain to have been on the session from documentation at the session or personal Beatles recollection (in the case of the wives, etc). But there are probably lots of players like who are all the guys playing on A Day in the Life, that we'll never know everyone. Personally, I'd have written an entire book about it had I been one of the orchestra on Sgt Pepper so everyone knows I played on it ;)

14. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

It's fun to see John's opinion in your quote. It's another good example of why I put absolutely no weight in an artist's opinion of their own work. I do find it interesting that folks seem to believe such opinions offer support to their own view of a given work. John had quite a list of wonderful Beatles recordings from across the catalog that he thought were cr@p or needed to be redone. I've always subscribed to the "don't get to know your heroes" adage and if Tchaikovsky didn't like his Nutcracker Suite - so what - it's still a gem IMHO.

Let it Be has been a fave of mine since it was released. To later learn of the struggle behind what I consider to be another Beatles masterpiece is interesting and this super deluxe set of recordings and writings adds intrigue to the whole of the compelling work.
    . .

15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

That’s a great idea. But bring in someone else to remix.

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

True
    I also read somewhere John claiming he did not think Let it Be(the song) sounding like the Beatles but should have been better of as a Wings song.

Marty T likes this.
  17. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

I think George M was credited with playing the celeste on Baby It's You on the original sleeve notes for Please Please Me, on Money on With The Beatles and also the piano (along with Paul and John) on Rock'n'Roll Music on Beatles For Sale the following year. :)

Library Eye and Lewisboogie like this.
  18. elvissinatra

elvissinatra Forum Resident

I just finished reading Steve Matteo's Let It Be from the 33 1/3 series and this bit made me smirk:

[​IMG]

Poor MLH really is like Charlie Brown, and Apple is totally Lucy with the football.

905, BeatlesBop, supermd and 11 others like this.
  19. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I don’t think we need new mono mixes.

20. Detroit Rock Citizen

Sgt Pepper (from the two disc) is on top 1[2015] is on the bottom. Adjust the differences in EQ and there is enough evidence for a slight remixing being done. The ending is a major difference.
    [​IMG]

21. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Running shoes and knitted, usually woolen pullovers.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  22. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

I think a collection of remastered UK singles (mono for those that were originally in mono, stereo for those that were originally in stereo), both A and B sides, would be really cool. 2CD, 2LP options, big book with picture sleeve art, outtake photos from the photo sessions, and mini essays about each song, when it was written, why it was pulled out of the album sessions and made the single, personnel, UK chart history, etc.

It would be pretty different from 1 actually. Am I in the minority?

FJFP, 56strat, coffeetime and 4 others like this.
  23. Detroit Rock Citizen

Trainers I get. Jumpers I don't

Instant Dharma likes this.
  24. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Not anymore!

EmceeEscher likes this.
  25. Detroit Rock Citizen

Neither does Giles apparently.

Keith V likes this.