Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

The Jumpers You Don't the Trainers You Get

;)

2. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Penny Lane, Something, Come Together and The Long & Winding Road were all remixed again for the SDE’s. We are still unsure about Let It Be at this time as the no obvious differences can be heard.

3. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

The 13th–14th-century mystic theologian Meister Echhart wrote of Gelassenheit, or letting-be, releasement, implying also a kind of serenity. For him, to find God, one must release oneself, let oneself and surrounding things be and release one's hold on self, others, and so on: first let them be. To be open to a higher, better activity, begin anew with the passivity of letting-be.

Not that I think McCartney was even unconsciously thinking of that, but hey, it did come to him in dream, a big dream, as him mum said the words. What Eckhart meant and the somewhat simpler, perhaps, message of Macca's dream might nonetheless be on a similar wavelength.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Ken Wood and thrivingonariff like this.
  4. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Which hairy caterpillar's in the lead? My money's on the third one down, with the big head.

5. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

For me, a lid, or skid lid, is a crash helmet. Wouldn't say no to the other kind, though, if you're passing the lid 'round.

Guy E likes this.
  6. dee

dee Senior Member

Perhaps Phil Spector had the great benefit of coming in so much later in the process with so much work already previously done for the project and previous mixes being rejected, etc...?

His mixes are my favorite LIB album. I like some of the LIBN mixes and takes that comprise the LIBN album project, plus the inclusion of Don't Let Me Down to the track list and the deletion of the two fly on the wall bits.

If anything this releases renews my interest in the original album mix and LIBN.

7. Box Set

Box Set Living In The Material World

Came on here on the way to bed to catch up on the latest LIB posts and there were about a dozen pages to check out. It's a couple of hours later and there's still a dozen to go. Good night ;)

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Im not sure we need any more mixes as all
    :)

9. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Hmm that is been the debate for the last 6 years or so.

Bemagnus likes this.
  10. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Possibly from Scots 'jupe' a kind of tunic or jacket, usually woolen, without buttons, so pulled over.

11. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

"The bus is 10 miles north on the Dewsbury Road and they're having a lovely time!"

FJFP and sadchel like this.
  12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I know
    But from a philosophical point of wiew there is no need for more re-mixes
    I Personally enjoy both the remixes and the box sets and feel confident there is more to come.
    But do I actually need it
    Absolutely no
    My best listening experience regarding the Beatles was hearing the new songs on a cheap transistor-radio or my older sisters very plastic turntable and mono-speaker back in the sixties
    In the late sixties early seventies we at least had som stere gear to enjoy the music.
    I love listening to the Beatles now in my more than OK Bang o Olufsen set up. But nothing ever can beat the magic if hearing the Beatles the way I first heard them.

13. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Yes, the 2017 version is a totally new mix. The 2015 mix had very over-mixed drums which were dialed back to a normal level for the 2017 mix.

Edit: Someone should overlay the mixes together and do a subtract and see what can be isolated.

Library Eye, Lewisboogie and Keith V like this.
  14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

It was, as you say, remixed for Pepper. The “1” 2015 mix had a loud snare IIRC.

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Sex, drugs, and rock n roll. Ask anything, and I'll give you an answer... ;)

aoxomoxoa, Mike M and Guy E like this.
  16. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

From From Yesterday to Let It Be: how Paul McCartney grappled with his mother’s death in his songs

"McCartney goes on to discuss Let It Be – in which his mother appears in a vision and urges him to make peace with the universe and with his troubles (those troubles at the time revolving around his disintegrating relationship with Lennon). “I fell asleep exhausted one day and had a dream in which my mum, Mary (who had died just over 10 years previously) did, in fact, come to me,” he writes.

“Seeing my mum’s beautiful, kind face and being with her in a peaceful place was very comforting,” he says. “She seemed to realise I was worried about what was going on in my life and what would happen, and she said to me, “Everything will be all right. Let it be.” I woke up thinking this would be a great subject for a song.”

Let It Be’s message of peace and acceptance didn’t appear to get through to the rest of the Beatles. With relationships inside the band continuing to worsen, a break-up soon became inevitable. And for McCartney the anguish he felt as the group disintegrated will have been all too familiar. He had lived through unfathomable heartache once already."

17. Arnold Grove

Mary has indeed said that she is on backing vocals along with Linda. BUT the deluxe book does NOT mention her.

Chuckee likes this.
  18. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

I always cringe when Paul delivers that line as 1, he's clearly off his head on tea and 2, given the film was shot entirely in the south west of England, Dewsbury was two or three hundred miles 'up north!' No wonder wizard John was looking for the sugar for the tea they were all drinking!

That's a thought - we get a brief moment of Mal Evans "singing" in the lab... be interesting to see his presence in the new film as have always had a soft spot for Mal. We know a few people 'dropped in' to see them as they worked and we know Mike McCartney's visit is in the film so wonder who else we'll see... I'd be very surprised if we see that bizarre awkward moment with Peter Sellers... wonder how much we'll get from those few days they continued without George.

NumberEight and green_ovation like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Interesting: Ringo is listed as being on drums for the orchestral overdubs for "The Long and Winding Road" done on April 1, 1970. But he is not listed for the overdubs for "I Me Mine" nor "Across The Universe".

baitzahn, WilliamWes, Gila and 3 others like this.
  20. Detroit Rock Citizen

I think it was needed for Pepper. I approve of Giles mixing choices there. The mono is still my number one with Pepper, but I still listen to Giles much more than the original stereo DR be damned. Giles and Sam have improved with each album but this is only the second time I feel he's improved the stereo mix overall.

21. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Careful. By the time you get it you may end up with this:

[​IMG]
    :yikes: ;)

22. Closer to 3/4s of an ounce is my recollection. :angel:

23. Frangox

Frangox Forum Resident

What a debacle!

24. Detroit Rock Citizen

so that's why they sound good. :evil:

25. Gavin Martin

Gavin Martin New Member

Australian derivation they were commonly knit from wool from sheep known to be “jumpers” , frisky