Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

No wonder since his mates are pretty clueless.

Cledwyn likes this.
  2. Calico

Calico Senior Member

We can now see the moment they listen to the "Across The Universe" acetate recorded the year before!

3. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

It's hard to watch Part 1 at Twickenham any way you cut it up. Save for a few lol moments via some Lennon one liners....it wasn't actually like water torture... but it was close. Part 1 is definitely one for the 'scholars' imo. To me, Part 1 is like enduring the Let It Be movie all over again except with better audio, but twice as long. I could only imagine how the average non-Beatle obsessed viewer is going to sit through this.

ATMP, C6H12O6 and Spencer R like this.
  4. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I suspect this is indeed for the Beatles' hardcore fans...no mistake!

blutiga likes this.
  5. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Interesting, how it sounds just like a review of the original Let It Be movie. Sad to say that after watching Part 1 this review reflects my experience as well. I am expecting (and hoping) to enjoy things a lot more tomorrow when they get to Saville Row. And of course Part 3 on the roof and in the studio the day after. .

C6H12O6 and FJFP like this.
  6. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

The series should come with its own rating then...Rated B - restricted audience for Beatlemaniacs only.

7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

LOL

For a second, I thought it was Peter Jackson reviewing his own film

:p

fishcane likes this.
  8. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Watching any band write and rehearse in the studio for six hours would be torture. Because it’s the Beatles, we superfans will slog through the chaff trying to get to the wheat, but I can see how normals would be totally turned off by this.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  9. Calico

Calico Senior Member

"The Castle Of The King Of The Birds" is now officially credited Lennon/McCartney/Harrison/Starkey! :shh::shh::shh:

10. m4murder

m4murder Forum Resident

And what of the Top Gun theme?

mikecarrera likes this.
  11. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Disclaimer: Not Beatles related.
    Some day soon, we’ll be able to listen to old blues recordings from the 20’s and 30’s and it will seem as they were
    recorded yesterday...for bettering or worse.
    And I know there have been some big strides made over the last decade or so...

Lewisboogie and DK Pete like this.
  12. Calico

Calico Senior Member

"No Pakistani", "Commonwealth", "Hi Heeled Sneakers", "Mama You've Been On My Mind", "Shakin' In The Sixties"... The "Get Back" film looks like a video made for "Hahst As Sön", my first ever Beatles bootleg!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    boggs, BeatleJWOL, mrgroove01 and 7 others like this.
  13. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Just finished Part 1.

$!*+<^g great!!!!!!

Looked great, sounded great, no BS talking heads and geared to fans with everything we could possibly ask for.

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I haven’t watched it yet but your post is very refreshing to read. Too many complaints about the negative aspects of the Twickenham portion. It’s no secret any way it’s approached, that this part of the sessions was not the happiest of atmospheres and yes, it stands to reason that in this way, it resembles the feel of the original film. I think one of the points of the six hours is to show a detailed contrast of how things improved as they moved into Apple. Reading some of the complaints (also on the other thread concerning the film)reminds me of how some bitched that the LIB deluxe set didn’t live up to “expectations”. I mean, what does it take to keep our fellow Beatle fans happy? Finally, some have said in watching this that it’s only for the most steadfast of Beatle fans; it takes rocket science to figure that one out??

15. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

How the uniform look for Beatlemaniacs has changed!

16. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

here is a review from Pitchfork.. sorry if this has already been posted. I just don't get the framing for most of the coverage that this was the end of the Beatles... forgetting that Abbey Road was recorded after these sessions. It is not that hard to understand!

The Beatles: Get Back Rewrites the Fab Four’s Ending

17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I never expected this to be for the casual or average music fan. As I recall, the same applied during the three nights of Anthology. The first night had the biggest ratings. Subsequently they trailed off over the next two showings. Presentations like this are indeed for the hardcore fan…at the very least, the hardcore music fan.

18. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Such a cavernous space and they huddle together as if the room is 12' x 12' "bog" . And folks think they were no longer close mates??? First impression is just... wow. I get that some who aren't major fans might find it a bit tedious watching them rehearse and all, but I find it enthralling. Look at Paul's face when he sees his mates that first rehearsal. There's a lot of joy there. And there's George Martin right from the start saying they should have a big PA to overcome the crappy acoustics of Twickenham. George H. wondering where the mixer and console are. Me thinks none of them, including the crew, thought much beforehand. Paul sure loves I've Got A Feeling, eh??? Much more to come. Ron

jas621, OldSoul, mrgroove01 and 11 others like this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Great post. I can't wait to watch this later. There's no way I'm going to be "disappointed". It's THE BEATLES working on a specific project in the studio and with all the good, bad and indifferent, it will place me "right there". How can there be anything bad about that?

20. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Same here… as a Beatles fan it’s pure adrenaline watching them smack dab in the middle of their creative process.

I only got through about half of Part 1 before having to surrender the TV to my wife and daughter for the Macy’s parade but will do the rest tonight.

The segment with Paul starting from scratch on the song “Get Back” was awesome.

21. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

One has to appreciate this level of snark from The Guardian : "Much opprobrium has been cast at Yoko Ono for her constant presence at Beatles’ recording sessions, but, after this, you marvel at her fortitude for sitting through them."

22. Diego Esparcia

Diego Esparcia Forum Resident

Just finished watching Part 1.

Amazing, best thing I've seen since Anthology. Amazing quality, both visual and audio. I've laughed and cried.

The bit where George leaves is shocking, I wasn´t expecting so much content about it.

I suspect this Get Back thing will change many conceptions about the Beatles, even us the harder fans had. Historic times these we're living...

23. The Elephant Man

I’m interested to see what the responses will be from everybody who was saying this was going to be
    a Paul McCartney whitewash where he walks into the studio in a robe with a halo and a party ensues.
    It definitely isn’t showing that it was a lovefest and not a tense time for the band, as ‘Paul the Reviser’ intended.

:—)

24. Dan The Man1

Dan The Man1 Never Could Be Any Other Way

So far this film is fantastic and indeed a truly historical document of a truly historical group of people making truly historical music. I’m enthralled and wishing they filmed every recording session they ever had because I would watch them. Isn’t It a Pity made me cry at the end.

25. The Elephant Man

There are always the originals to listen to. This isn’t a zero sum game.
    :—)