Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I was horribly disappointed when watching this movie. My understanding was that
    Peter Jackson was planning on CGIing The Beatles in their rightful places in the
    Lord of the Rings movies he directed. Paul as Frodo, John as Gollum, etc.
    What an absolute sham. This movie is about them rehearsing music. Music.
    They’re not in the Shire at all.

neruda, Floater, stevenson66g and 4 others like this.
  2. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

It's great having this full on doc and one wonders how did they work on the White Album and other projects. Like charting the songs, choosing lyrics and arrangements. A real treasure.
    If I'm not mistaken, they sort of come up talking about how the White Album sessions worked fine in a way.

BeatleJWOL and OldSoul like this.
  3. Claudio Dirani

A real Precious review!

4. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

5. Claudio Dirani

Oh, and it was cool watching Linda chatting with Yoko

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Just finished the first episode.. I kept thinking how great it was that they were catering to hardcore fans like this. It's ridiculously generous to get 2.5 hours for the first week of LIB rehearsals. Reading some of the negative comments is surprising to me. I thought this is what we wanted. We knew what this episode would contain. It has to show what happened -- not what we want to see. That's what documentaries are supposed to be.

Paul was a workhorse here.. he has I've got a feeling, Let it be, Long and Winding Road, Bathroom Window, Two of us, Another Day, Get Back, Golden slumbers, Carry that weight (all in various stages). John has Don't Let Me Down. While Paul helped on "Don't Let Me Down," I'm very happy they got rid of those call & response vocals.. oh that was awful. I hope we get to see the point when it was decided to axe those.

Paul told John if he didn't have more songs, they'd be facing a tragic situation. John said he'd have Sunday off, which was like 4 days away, then he comes back Monday with no new song. George has the songs Paul seems to want, but Paul seems to want John songs instead. He clearly has more interest in George's material than John does, though. He doesn't want to be the boss, but nobody else is saying much of anything. George is noodling all day and sometimes John just won't talk.

George leaving wasn't very clear. You can sense something is coming because they have this montage of Paul and John jamming together and they keep showing George looking on, like he's left out of it. Paul said something to George like "what you have to play here is..." Robert Rodriguez's great "Winter of Discontent" episodes of his "Something about the Beatles" podcast strongly suggests George left due to some big lunchtime meeting where it's possible he went after John for only speaking through Yoko and being uninvolved.. but none of that is in this film, in fact George leaves before lunch.

But I can't wait for episode 2. This was just great to see.. like your bootlegs coming to life. Looking fab.. knowing what's coming but wondering how they will get there. Super cool. Thank you Peter Jackson.

Floater, bkbk, MikeT and 22 others like this.
  7. Claudio Dirani

8. Claudio Dirani

Wait, those response vocals were damn cool!
    Maybe they could add'em in a Don't Let Me Down't reprise into the recording. First, the regular version and then a 20-seconds repeat

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

George was a big fan of songs being reproduced live as closely to the way they sounded in the studio version. He felt most of his new songs weren’t conducive to that. Seeing how the final products came out on ATMP, he was right.

BeatleJWOL and kt66brooklyn like this.
  10. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I just kept thinking, "Paul, you went after George for a supposedly corny chord and yet you think THIS sounds good"?

11. Claudio Dirani

LOL

12. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Yeah and I think their solo careers, for better or worse, play out exactly as they should, given who they are as artists individually. If you want to know who brought what to the Beatles, listen to their solo records. Yes there are many other contributors on the solo outings, but over the long haul I think it's made pretty clear.

Gila, OldSoul, grx8 and 5 others like this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

That’s a great comment about the solo works showing what each member brought to the group in terms of the individual “ingredients”. I never looked at it that way.

14. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I hated them, Can't Buy Me Love had some interesting response vocals, but it didn't quite work.

15. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Beautiful in all ways. Also a strong presence. And yeah, when the camera finds her, my legs get weak and my eyes go:yikes:

16. Claudio Dirani

You are likely right, since they erased'em in the end.
    But it was just awesome watching they working on it.

2141 and DK Pete like this.
  17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Agreed on that. I thought those callback vocals were extremely dated…..they sound great on You Can’t Do That and You’re Going To Lose That Girl but by ‘69 they just had a corniness to them even they couldn’t make sound “cool”.

stevenson66g and Chuckee like this.
  18. Claudio Dirani

And what really made may jaw drop was the footage's quality.
    It looks like they filmed it yesterday.

JorgeGvb, imail724, ralph7109 and 7 others like this.
  19. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

You're the second guy mentioning Linda. I'll watch out for her. :)

20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Best post I’ve read on this so far. Beautifully said.

Sammy Banderas and Pawnmower like this.
  21. I have the audio. I KNOW there are plenty of complete takes.

22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

A beautifully strong, supportive woman; not hard to see why Paul fell for her.

jricc, Ken Wood, Lewisboogie and 3 others like this.
  23. Claudio Dirani

I guess lots of audio tracks do not match with their respectively footage. Just my take.
    And I can feel for PJ. He had to make a movie out of an infinite amount of stuff.

24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I agree that there are…but the time factor would have omitted a lot of the spoken audio. I could be wrong but I think as the film progresses over the next two parts we’ll be seeing more and more complete takes of songs.

25. Claudio Dirani

Mainly in the last episode. I just won't be able to sleep.

DK Pete likes this.