Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Just listened to the 2021 mix again on a different system and I still like it very much. Clarity and punch, something the original lacked.

Ernold, kt66brooklyn and DK Pete like this.
  2. spiegelbeeld

spiegelbeeld Senior Member

There was some context missing that might have helped explain George's mood, besides what was already mentioned: his marital problems and his fling with Charlotte Martin (Clapton's ex.)

DK Pete and 2141 like this.
  3. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I said this a while back, from my understanding George had a lot of personal/home life problems going on at precisely this time. Basically his marriage was falling apart and there was a lot of drama going on with all that. It's very possible that led to him feeling like, what am I doing here, while my home life/marriage is crumbling? It seems that had a lot to do with him just up and leaving right then.

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Among other Get Back session things, that was on a seventies boot named Sweet Apple Trax…I don’t know about anyone else but this was the first time I heard it in video form. Great stuff.

Floater, jricc, No Bull and 2 others like this.
  5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I was thinking that too…I’d give anything to have had an aural glimpse of what went on in George’s house when the others paid him a visit following his walking out.

6. JimCastle

JimCastle Forum Resident

"Jackson spent 4 years in a darkened room editing the film" per wikipedia. I think he has turned into Gollum.

I can't decide to open a bottle of deep introspective red wine or a good ale to watch this film.
    Is there a way to turn those subtitles off?

7. RAT1

RAT1 Forum Resident

8. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Yes, just move the cursor up and then sideways. Then you can switch the subtitles off.

9. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

So - some things are hard subtitled - you can't turn those off - but there aren't a lot of those. I actually went into the Disney+ settings and turned the Closed Captioning on.

As to how to do that - it depends on your Disney+ client. I was using my Android TV streaming device - it's in the upper right hand corner of the playing video.

By the way - cheap videophile alert: I'm using the Walmart Onn. TV 4k Streamer for Disney+. I paid $29 US for it, and have been pleasantly surprised. It's basically a stock Android TV Google/Askey ADT-3 developer kit, but with the Prime Video and Netflix licenses applied. It's so stock that it doesn't even have Walmart's own VUDU service loaded! And - it's now $19.98!

I will firmly admit that I bought it because I was curious about cheap Walmart tech - figured that even if it didn't work, it would be an interesting conversation starter. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it worked.

Cheers,
    Paul

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    BeatleJWOL likes this.
  10. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I'm an hour into it and I think it's great. I'm not a Beatles "fan" or even a casual fan. I do respect them though. This shows them as real people and not some perfect untouchable legends. It's really cool to see them working out songs (and other issues). Will this make me a fan? It just might.

11. MCK57

MCK57 Forum Resident

George Harrison himself said that he and John had an argument! So we have George H. and George M. saying the same thing.So why people can't accept that George and John had an argument is beyond me.

savemenow, DTK and Lewisboogie like this.
  12. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Just finished watching the first part. The end was really sad. I knew what was coming of course, but it really touched me seeing them so lost. Michael LH is an insufferable jerk with his cigars and his "WE should do this". Richie doesn't talk much. Paul runs the show, but behind the hyperactive fooling around and the nerve killing falsetto versions of oldies you can see his desperation. George is basically miserable and John just wants to go back to bed with Yoko although he enjoys very much fooling around with Paul.

The surprise: John seemed the most happy of the four. Who would have thought so... And yes, Linda's really cute. :)

heyday2day, Cledwyn, Gila and 12 others like this.
  13. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

The end bugged me, I wanted to watch the titles, instead they ended up in a tiny box which made them difficult to read on my cave 50''. The screen being filled with a huge pic of Taylor Swift who I could not give a flying fig about.

JorgeGvb, Adam9, todd141 and 6 others like this.
  14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Same here…why on earth did they do that??

KaptKopter and Deek57 like this.
  15. nb2k

nb2k Forum Resident

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I didn't see/hear any Twickenham samplings of Dig A Pony. I know it's not a fan favorite, but being that it's one of the five rooftop songs performed and one of the few 'new' Lennon songs at the time, you'd figure Peter Jackson would've included an early run-through from the Twickenham filming.

16. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

You have to select the tiny video and "re-open" it. Then the Taylor Swift will disappear, and you can watch the credits full sized again. :)

Definitely worth a watch, BTW.

Cheers,
    Paul

17. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

There is no way I can do that with a Sky Q remote, there is no cursor. Thanks for the suggestion though.

18. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

I actually felt kind of sorry for him. He was hired to direct a TV special - like the Rolling Stones' Rock And Roll Circus - and instead gets... well.. that.

You could tell the Beatles meant a lot to him - and that he was trying to get them to commit to something that he could actually direct.

Sure - he's pushy at times - I definitely see that. But - I also get the sense he was trying to tell them "Look - you're the BEATLES - you mean a lot to the world. What are you doing just messing around in a film studio?"

Cheers,
    Paul

jacden, Gila, Cledwyn and 5 others like this.
  19. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

What’s the deal with George’s 8-track recorder wheeled in? Never utilized at Twickenham?

stevenson66g, Bern and Shaddam IV like this.
  20. ChrisChopping

ChrisChopping Forum Resident

A few people have talked about wanting a soundtrack album for the new Get Back doc. This might be a stupid question but isn’t the Let It Be super deluxe box the soundtrack album?!

Yes, the original album is all Spectorised but the Super Deluxe box includes the Glyn Johns mix which is much closer to what the documentary shows plus two additional discs of outtakes etc.

Yes, as big fans I’m sure there’s always gonna be other stuff we would like to own/hear but if they wanted to put that stuff out it could have just gone in this box, right?

Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t know what would be different about a soundtrack album to distinguish itself from what’s in the box? And that only recently came out…

personally I’d sooner a vinyl reissue of Let It Be…Naked.

Big Blue and DK Pete like this.
  21. SebUK

SebUK Forum Resident

part one was great. a really good setting up of a narrative that for anyone who's done the nagra pilgrimage seems pretty spot on.

just think though, in an alternate universe on the next tuesday they really did get clapton in...

my dog ignored it until yoko started contributing, then he sat up and paid attention!

Cledwyn likes this.
  22. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Does your remote look like this?

[​IMG]

You would use the right arrow on the directional pad to highlight the vid, then the center button to select it. There's no cursor, per se.

This is similar to what I have to do with the Android TV remote:

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Paul

Gavaxeman and bkbk like this.
  23. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

They did manage to record one run through of "Oh! Darling" with it, but the tape is missing

Lewisboogie likes this.
  24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

In my opinion a home video release would be the best way to go and the one that makes most sense.

25. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

That remote is similar, mine has a voice activation button above the record button. I only subscribed to Disney a few days back, I'll give your tip a go, thanks.

Paul P. likes this.