Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

George’s grumpiness comes to the fore in Part 2 when Paul is going on about how they weren’t themselves in India - George’s withering response showed all the bitterness and anger was still there ready to come to the surface when he felt provoked.

Auntie Pho, DTK, stevenson66g and 2 others like this.
  2. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

One thing is clear. George had to get out. He had a **** ton of songs and they barely spent any time on any of them.

George needed that break up more than any of them. I think the other 3 could have continued honestly.

George had way more animosity towards Yoko than Paul. Yoko steered John away from Paul though.

Who broke up The Beatles?

George Harrison, Alan Klein and Yoko Ono. In my opinion.

John and Paul had a kinship that would have never been broken except with Yokos persuasion. But she wasn't the only reason.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  3. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

She watched all of Part 3!

Cheers,
    Paul

4. ChrisChopping

ChrisChopping Forum Resident

That was something that really struck me watching this. I’ve loved The Beatles since I was young and Brian seemed like a relatively old guy. Watching it the other I was like, blimey he was only 32! That’s five years younger than me!

5. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Thought in Ep 1 Yoko Ono was a non factor but in 2 she involved herself more imo. In 1 and 2 I didn't noticed her really bothering Paul or Ringo, don't know about George.

6. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Enough time has passed - I'm going to talk about this now.

The way the rooftop performance was hyped in the press materials - full unedited concert! - got my hopes up. Sadly - Peter Jackson took the same approach as Michael Lindsay-Hogg and, instead of giving us just the concert, added overlaying audio from interviews in the street and the police officers in the lobby. In addition, when they switched to the camera across the street - they added reverb to the audio to make it sound like you were far away. So - once again - not the "complete" concert audio. It's a documentary of the concert - not the actual concert.

I want to be able to watch it like I was there - not like I'm watching TV coverage of it. If you have to add these things for narrative and context, they should have - at least - been added between songs.

My sense of disappointment was so strong, when the first reverb drenched wide shot occurred, I actually swore out loud, startling my 14 year old daughter who was watching it with me. I had to explain to her why Dad was suddenly so upset.

This also makes the loss of the complete concert CD 5 from the original Let It Be Super Deluxe boxset all the more frustrating. Now I'm really upset about the pulling of this disc.

That being said, there were a few positives about it. The underlying audio is as complete as possible - they even have the God Save The Queen bit during the tape switch. Peter tried to put all of the concert footage on-screen at once using split screen/mosaic techniques. This was an interesting take on it.

After the rooftop concert - I looked at the remaining time - about 5 minutes. Inwardly I went - uh oh. And - yes - as feared - we did not get the complete performances of Two Of Us, Let It Be and The Long And Winding Road from the last day of filming. Instead, there were just frustrating glimpses and fragments of the day's work - sometimes in small windows next to the credits. This means that the original Let It Be flim will have to stand as the only complete footage of the three songs from the last day.

Hopefully we'll see a release of the restored/remixed version of those songs on a Let It Be blu-ray - my mono LaserDisc copy is looking pretty long in the tooth nowadays. :)

Sadly - this may be all we get too - see the quotes from Peter here: THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

I really hope a physical release will happen - and that some of these frustrations of mine will be addressed.

But - I'm not holding my breath. :(

Cheers,
    Paul

7. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

For sure but they seemed to cut Yoko sequences. And I'm not referring to the movie inasmuch as numerous accounts of events in the years after the sessions. Yoko was jealous of Paul's hold on John and that drove a big wedge. From all accounts Paul was quite accepting of her. George not so much.

8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I found that very interesting as well.

fmfxray373 likes this.
  9. ChrisChopping

ChrisChopping Forum Resident

But there are strings and there are strings, you know? The strings on I Me Mine are relatively sympathetic to the material, the ones on LAWR are just awful.

10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Jackson feels that there won’t be a physical release because Disney doesn’t see money in physical releases. Assuming that’s true, where would Apple be in all this?? Haven’t they got a day? Given the past few years of reissues/remixes etc., it’s obvious they have no problem with physical releases. Hopefully, Mr. Jackson is way off on this one.

Lewisboogie, fmfxray373 and Paul P. like this.
  11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

…matter of opinion; I think they work beautifully towards the advantage of the vocal melody complementing it quite effectively. I love the bare bones version as well; great song with strings or without but a “bigger hit record” with.

Chuckee, blutiga and 56strat like this.
  12. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

The way it's presented is as if you were there (as a normal person, anyway). You would've been on the street, another roof, or in a building, hearing music waft over while the other sounds of London were in the background, including policemen and interviewers talking. What you want is, in fact, a TV/film version of the experience that would artificially put you on the roof. Considering the whole "play to the world" thing they were going for, I think the street shots are necessary for the film.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  13. Pauly56

Pauly56 Forum Resident

Why would Disney have a say? Wasn’t this funded by Apple and Disney paid for the product to be shown on their network like ABC did the Anthology?

14. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Personally, I would have been in one spot watching it and not talking to folks. Not wandering around. Like Maureen. :)

I want the Maureen cut. :D

Cheers,
    Paul

15. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

RINGO:
    "I've farted"

:laugh:

somebodywhocares and Bakeryrec like this.
  16. Scott57

Scott57 Forum Resident

Thanks Mo!

Lewisboogie and Auntie Pho like this.
  17. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

I wondered the same thing. There's even mention of the first meeting at George's house where Yoko spoke completely for John, and yet in a 7+ hour documentary, they don't have a single line of meaningful Yoko dialog? Definitely some editing happened there, and your theory is as good as any. But yes, we all know Yoko spoke at these recording sessions, it just wasn't included in Get Back for whatever reason. I'm glad they showed small bits of the two Yoko jams though.

Vagabond and Ms. Daisy like this.
  18. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

I'm actually pleasantly surprised. I haven't watched the full HD version, but I've seen snippets posted to YouTube. It looks different from my end than the horrid trailers. In the trailers the audio was out of sync. The noise reduction and blurring applied to the faces was horrid. The actual movie I've seen parts of look a lot better. Not sure if anyone else can confirm this.

19. Om

That would be highly disappointing. I want to rewatch this historic footage for many years to come. Not be forced to subscribe. I wouldn't mind subscribing for one year, but I do hope they release a physical copy. This is one of those special films that I would gladly pay a good amount to own a physical copy. If not I see a bunch of fans making bootlegs. I really hope they didn't sign an exclusive multi year deal with Disney, but I have a feeling they sort of did. That would be a shame. As of right now don't have any device able to stream Disney+. I'd need to buy an AppleTV. I would have rather seen it in a theatre near you.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    bonsaipark and Scott57 like this.
  20. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Hmm, several Apple Studios performances here are better than the outtakes we got on the LIB SDE. Curious. Some great alternates of "Dig a Pony", a really soulful "I've Got a Feeling" in the studio, and how about that I Had a Dream/I Want You jam? Woah, why wasn't that on the box set...or as a link track on the original soundtrack for that matter! Smokin.

21. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

They already have.

yerblues and Lewisboogie like this.
  22. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Peter Jackson himself speculates at a DVD/Blu-Ray release sometime next year.

DTK and BeatleJWOL like this.
  23. Om

I hope so. When ABC aired the Anthology, at least it was free and over the air to watch. However it did take another year for it to be released on VHS. It's not so much the cost but just the convenience of owning your own copy. I can take it with me and share it with friends. I can rewatch it for the next 20+ years without having to worry about subscriptions, buying streaming boxes, having an internet connection wherever I go.

bonsaipark likes this.
  24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

oboogie and Om like this.
  25. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Hard to know for certain what the whole truth actually is, as accounts often get overblown and embellished after the fact.

Dan The Man1 likes this.