Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Paul recycled this melody a decade later when he recorded a demo of a Rupert Bear soundtrack with Wings, and that is where the title seems to come from.

During the Get Back sessions, it just seems that it was a melody that Paul was fascinated with. He revisits it a few other times during the session although never as fascinating as this jam. He also does some piano improvs that resemble it at other points. Hearing how developed it already was, it's likely that he came up with it at some earlier point.

Ms. Daisy and EmceeEscher like this.
  2. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Yeah in part 3 Paul is telling Ringo what he wants for the drum part and the look on Ringo's face is priceless - I though it was a look of disgust. It showed that despite the John and Paul talk about George and Paul being bossy and doing all the arranging, Paul didn't change his approach in the slightest.

RickH and Mickey2 like this.
  3. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Actually, I think he did hold back a little. There's a scene (can't remember exactly) where he says something to the effect that he won't decide how something is done (or words to that effect), almost to suggest that "you don't want me pushing my opinions on you. So you decide". There's another while they're sitting in the control room where he is expressing being blocked on some detail of a song, seemingly to give the others an opportunity to offer ideas. But of course no one does.

4. ChrisChopping

ChrisChopping Forum Resident

Well again that’s a problem with the “Paul is bossy” thing is that it often ignores the, “no one else wants to do the work” thing. John wanted to be leader of The Beatles as long as it didn’t involve any actual leading…

5. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Interesting, thanks for this info!

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  6. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

John never had a problem with leading and decision making for the group, he just didn't want to do any extra work at this point. But his opinions are given freely throughout the documentary.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  7. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Lennon's leadership style is interesting. I'm sure experts in the field could put a name to it but he seemed to lead in an almost virtual sense. By that, I mean that everyone accepted him as their leader even though he didn't actually appear to ever make positive decisions. For example, he later complained (or at least commented negatively) about McCartney's predilection for songs their parents would like, such as A Taste of Honey or Till There Was You. But he never pulled rank and told McCartney that his band weren't going to do that stuff. He just accepted that it was what McCartney wanted to do and went along with it. Of course, that's also decision making but it's decision making in a kind of "I just let everyone do whatever they want to do" way.

His problem, I think, was that he started out playing rock and roll which didn't require any decision-making. It just required learning the chords. When the Beatles started coming up with material that veered further and further away from that, and needed some thought about how to present it, he didn't really know what or how to do it. McCartney, on the other hand, was full of ideas. This worked brilliantly until the others started to feel that McCartney was running the show. However, when McCartney stepped back and let the others take over, none of them knew how to do it.

I feel for McCartney. Daft as this anecdote is, I clearly remember music lessons at school, where my mates would all mess around for 45 minutes and we'd be in grave danger of having nothing to perform at the end of the lesson. Someone had to take control and get everyone to do something and it was always me. But when my mates complained that I was always bossing them about, and I'd say "Well, you come up with something", they'd have nothing.

jacden, Cledwyn, supermd and 10 others like this.
  8. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Hi guys, I've got a question - and pardon me if it's been asked before or if there even is a dedicated thread - usually, I chew my way through the posts, but the quantity is too much for me to swallow here, so:

As for the Glyn Johns mix - and I know only the Japanese version has REALLY the original '69 mix unlike all other versions:
    Is this now the best available version of Glyn's Get Back album? Or are there sonical flaws that make it inferior to others?
    And if yes, what are the best sources for Glyn's approach?
    Are there identical takes to the ones used by Glyn for his album on "Anthology 3"? And if yes, do they sound better there than here?

Your answers are appreciated! :)

9. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

OK, I just checked the last twenty pages (...), and it seems everybody's agreeing the 4th disc of LIB Super deluxe Edition features indeed the best available version of Glyn Johns' album proposal and that it also is NOT butchered but presented fully intact - great, BTW! :)

RAT1 likes this.
  10. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

The super quick tl;dr summary is that the Japanese SDE has a safety copy of an interim '69-ish assemblage. It doesn't quite match what we have - from various sources - as the '69 assemblage - but it's not the '70 either.

The SDE for the rest of the world uses this assemblage as the base, but seems to edit in pieces from the '70s assemblage that are of higher audio quality. This is easiest to tell on For You Blue, which is definitely the '70s mix, and not the '69 mix found on the Japanese SDE.

As to which is better? I leave that as an exercise for the reader. :D

Cheers,
    Paul

Fractured and bzfgt like this.
  11. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

It's not that simple. The 1969 tape is a safety dub that is at least one generation removed from the 1970 tape. So the 1970 tape used for the final deluxe edition has much better sound quality. But they hacked it up and spliced it with the 1969 tape in an erroneous attempt to re-create the 1969 version in better quality. The smartest and most logical decision would have been to present the 1970 master tape as-is and include the unique 1969 mixes from the safety dub as bonus tracks. But they didn't do that in either case. So instead you have an excellent-sounding but inaccurate frankenstein on the final set, and an inferior-sounding but intact 1969 version on the Japanese set.

C6H12O6, kolive and TheLoveDrags like this.
  12. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

This clip looks surprisingly good. I'm extremely pleased the soft filter didn't go overboard like in the trailers.

13. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It's at 13:20...

14. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

When they knew there's not enough new material for a TV show, why didn't they thought about playing older songs in that show. E.g. HEY JUDE, or songs from the WHITE ALBUM?

ChrisChopping likes this.
  15. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

At certain point Paul actually says that performing some White Album ("last album's") stuff was the initial idea, which got changed to "let's write new ones" in the beginning.

16. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

Saint Johnny and BeatleJWOL like this.
  17. Booga

Booga Forum Resident

Many thanks for this - very useful. Which edition of the book did you use? And do you know the DDSI numbers for the Anthology 3 tracks please? I'd like to put all the tracks in a chronological playlist.

Floater and semidetached like this.
  18. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

When was the last time the DDSI numbers were updated? I'm always afraid I'm going to use an outdated book when I'm tagging my files. :D

19. Booga

Booga Forum Resident

I think it was 2007.

semidetached likes this.
  20. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

A age-old common problem in human relationships and groups of people doing something together.

21. Booga

Booga Forum Resident

I think I've worked them out. These are using the 2007 DDSI numbers (taken from this very useful document, as I only have the older 'Get Back' edition of the book: https://www.aaronkrerowicz.com/uploads/6/5/4/3/6543054/ab_road_tracks_with_ddsi_numbers.pdf):

I've Got A Feeling [DDSI 22.69]
    She Came In Through The Bathroom Window [DDSI 21.79]
    Dig A Pony [DDSI 22.21]
    Two Of Us [DDSI 24.30]
    For You Blue [DDSI 25.34]
    Teddy Boy [DDSI 28.83 / 24.33]
    Medley: Rip It Up DDSI 26.56] / Shake, Rattle And Roll [DDSI 26.57] / Blue Suede Shoes [DDSI 26.59]
    The Long And Winding Road [DDSI 26.91]
    Oh! Darling [DDSI 27.56]
    Mailman, Bring Me No More Blues [DDSI 29.53]
    Get Back [DDSI 30.17]
    Let It Be [DDSI 25.82]

semidetached likes this.
  22. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Looking for quick clarification...

So the only way to hear the Glyn Johns mix(es) which was rejected by the band is to pony up for the Super Deluxe box set, correct?

There are now 4 different mixes of this album out there: (1)the originally released Phil Spector mix which McCartney did not approve of. (2) The Let It Be naked sessions. (3) The Giles Martin mix. (4) Glyn Johns mix.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that the forum favorite is the the original Phil Spector mix.

I loved the documentary, but I think I'm good with the Phil Spector mix on vinyl and the naked stuff on CD...that is, unless you guys can convince me otherwise! :D

Dr. Winston Ramone likes this.
  23. Booga

Booga Forum Resident

The Super Deluxe set is on Youtube.

The Glyn Johns albums don't just contain different mixes - most of the takes are different. And 'Let It Be...Naked' has a couple of different takes, too.

Plus there's the following complication:

(4a) Glyn Johns 1969 mix (only available on Japanese Super Deluxe Edition)
    (4b) Hybrid Glyn Johns 1969 / 1970 mix (available on Super Deluxe Edition everywhere else)

I think so. None of them is ideal.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    Scroller likes this.
  24. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

25. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Thanks. Appreciate this. I never knew Let It Be...Naked contained any alternate takes.