Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

You just made my Monday morning! Thank you! Been looking for this version of the track ever since hearing it in the Living In the Material World doc and have only had a subpar
    YouTube rip. I was quite disappointed when this version wasn't on the new All Things Must Pass box set.

2. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

Yes, I agree. It was hard for him do that job for what he was there to do. After all it was not enough time for such a live project. I think that needed some months more than only three or four weeks. The whole project was done under a lot of pressure.

supermd and boggs like this.
  3. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident

4. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

This is genius (as is Rich Fulcher btw.). I couldn't quite put my finger on who/what he reminded me of, but that nailed it. And people can say whatever they want about him trying to do his job, but all the affected stuff like the silly accent and the General Ripper cigar didn't change the fact that he was a nobody trying to tell the Beatles what to do.

lobo and ronbow like this.
  5. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

:D

Actually - he did have his DNA tested. His mom had denied the connection with such vigor and detail that it set off red flags in Michael's mind. Also - he was friends with Welles's daughter Chris and she suspected as well.

Results were "inconclusive". However - Gloria Vanderbilt (!) confirmed it, and that was good enough for Michael.

Cheers,
    Paul

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

But some biographer found evidence that Orson Welles could not have been the father since Michael's mother was in the USA and Orson was in the UK (or vice versa) 9 months prior to Michael's birth. So who knows?...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  7. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Yeah - I read that too:

A 2015 Welles biography by Patrick McGilligan, however, argues that Welles could not be the father: Fitzgerald left the U.S. for Ireland in May 1939, and was pregnant at the time she returned in late October, while Welles did not travel overseas during that period.
    Michael's birthday is listed as 5 May 1940, so that would indicate that she was still in Ireland, and Orson was in the US.

However - Gloria Vanderbilt (!!!) :D :D

Cheers,
    Paul

Arnold Grove likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

???
    Gloria Vanderbilt, the inspiration for the Wings’ song “Mrs. Vanderbilt”, died today | BeatlesHistorian.com gives a unique part of Beatles history every week covering Beatles topics not found elsewhere.

Olivier Northern Son likes this.
  9. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Oh interesting - the inconclusive result was from his own father, not Orson:

In January, 2010 came word that Lindsay-Hogg was going to take a DNA test to determine if famed American filmmaker, Orson Welles, who was friend of the family, was in fact his father. The test gave no result, as the hair from Sir Edward that was used in the test did not contain a follicle.​

Oh - I'm a huge Gloria Vanderbilt fan. When I was young, I read her biography Little Gloria... Happy At Last and really was amazed at her story.

Later on, when her son Anderson Cooper was first starting out as one of the overnight news hosts on ABC's World News Now, she'd surprise him in the studio. Some of their interactions were completely classic and wonderful.

So - if she said it, I would put some weight behind it. Maybe not 100% - but still.

Okay - back to Beatles discussions!

Cheers,
    Paul

P.S. The made for TV adaptation of Little Gloria... Happy At Last had John Lennon's fave Glynis Johns in the cast... yeah - I know. Doesn't count. :D

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  10. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

On a music related note - I took EAC peak values of Disc 4 of the Japanese Let It Be SDE:

88.6/88.2/88.5/88.9/88.5/88.5/88.5/89.0/88.2/88.2/88.3/88.2/88.1/88.1

This is the "unique to Japan" transfer of Glyn Johns' 1969 tape, most notably with a different version of For You Blue than the standard Rest Of World (ROW) Let It Be SDE.

I don't know if this is especially useful - but it can't hurt to put a permanent record of these up here on the forums.

Cheers,
    Paul

BeatlesBop likes this.
  11. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I really wish they'd included a performance of Let It Down. I've said it before but the more I think about Get Back the more I wish there were more George performances. That little snippet of Mama You've Been On My Mind was a real highlight and there were a bunch of Dylan covers he did.

12. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Apologies for asking a question I believe has been answered before (but you'll appreciate that searching for "Let it Be" in this thread would be pretty pointless) but can anyone confirm the following:
    1) Is the version of Let It Be that appears in Glyn John's Get Back a different mix to that which was issued on the single? I presume it is, because the latter was apparently mixed in 1970. However, Mike's notes aren't conclusive.
    2) Is the new mix of the single version of Let It Be the same as used in 2015 on the 1 project?

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Pretty sad if you ask me. :shake::help:

JDeanB likes this.
  14. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

No - Glyn spliced the single mix into his assemblages. It may even be the master mixdown - but I can't say that for sure.

See the Get Back entry here:

THE SOURCE - "Get Back" - Glyn John's Compilation 4

Appears to be - yes:

Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Cheers,
    Paul

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I feel like a lot of people are SO into the Beatles that they adopt this “how dare he tell my precious Beatles what to do” attitude. So weird.

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Are you getting “Let It Be” mixed up with “Get Back”? It’s definitely not the single mix of “Let It Be” on the Glyn Johns mix. No Ringo drum overdubs, no horn overdubs, no extra guitar parts towards the end, John and George’s original backing vocals, John’s original bass…. All on Glyn John’s mix.

@Paul H See my notes above for some differences. It is NOT the single mix, Glyn John’s 1969 mix having been mixed in 1969 and missing many overdubs from Jan 1970.

Onder, hoggydoggy, Paul H and 2 others like this.
  17. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Oops yeah I did. Mea culpa. That's what I get for answering late at night. :)

The Let It Be on Get Back is the same basic take as the single - 27a - but is a unique mix.

It does have the overdubbed guitar solo from 30 April 1969, that was also used on the single version:

The new solo was added to take 27A of the song, and was performed by George Harrison. It was included in Glyn Johns’ two unreleased Get Back albums.

From: https://www.beatlesbible.com/1969/0...et-it-be-you-know-my-name-look-up-the-number/

More overdubs were made on this day:

https://www.beatlesbible.com/1970/01/04/recording-let-it-be-beatles-last-session-as-a-group/

All of the Let It Be versions, bar Naked and Anthology, are derived from take 27a.

Cheers,
    Paul

supermd, Paul H and aphexj like this.
  18. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Ah - finally found the other quote about Let It Be I was looking for:

Although "Let It Be" had received the stinging lead guitar overdub on 4 January 1970, Glyn opted for his original mix featuring the 30 April 1969 guitar overdub. However, on 8 January 1970, he remixed the song which was eventually released on the single in March 1970.

From: THE SOURCE - "Get Back" - Glyn John's Compilation 4
    Cheers,
    Paul

19. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

1) Yes. It is Glyn's own mix that ignores the overdubs George Martin added in 1970 (horns, more backing vocals, etc) and has the ridiculous Olympic vocal reverb on it.
    2) No. They are different, although very similar. The differences seem to be in EQ and reverb settings.

Olivier Northern Son and Paul P. like this.
  20. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Isn't happiness easy? :)

By the way, if anyone is looking for a "Naked" version of All Things Must Pass:

All Things Must Pass Naked

21. elvissinatra

elvissinatra Forum Resident

That's awesome. When was that version of "Isn't It a Pity" recorded?

linklinc likes this.
  22. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Is anyone aware of a site, or list, of all of the officially released Let It Be/Get Back recordings placed in chronological order? Something that takes into account the deluxe edition, Anthology tracks, etc., would be ideal.

elvissinatra and Floater like this.
  23. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

A few pages back there was the most recent DDSI list, and a few posts with the Anthology and the new box DDSI numbers. I've started a spreadsheet based on that, it's handy to keep around.

Floater and mikeja75 like this.
  24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I wanted to get back to sound quality if I may…is it just my ears or does the vinyl of the LIB album remix have a very subtle, overriding fuzziness on almost all the tracks…I have two copies and Im hearing this on both, particularly on the three rooftop songs.

25. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

@RayS Will there be an update of your book because of the new releases of the GET BACK movie and the CD box LET IT BE 50TH?

steve_miller and MerseyBeatle like this.