Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

I like his mix of this. It has that same dry up-front sound as his mix of Two of Us…but as with most mixes if it, it needed some judicious editing, cutting, pasting, to make a finished-level track out of it. Too many sloppy bits for me. (Please don’t get all sulky on me and start throwing around words like “honesty” and “butchering “, please!)

That said, I do also like Glyn’s remix on the SDE; getting rid of that damn feedback was a godsend.

jeighson1 likes this.
  2. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

I picked up the vinyl box recently and I can hear the distortion in the left channel on the LIB remix that many have complained about. I don't hear this on the other LPs in the set. Some have suggested adjusting the tracking on your cartridge to remedy this, but would it really make a difference? Has anyone tried this with success?

PabloFanques likes this.
  3. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

A superb reply. And very positive, as opposed to the post you are responding to which was presumptive, negative, and already answered a hundred times over in these threads.

4. steve_miller

steve_miller Forum Resident

A few tracks have been complained about. I only have the CD's, but from my reading there was a digital error causing some of these complaints.
    I have a correction of this error and it sounds better.

5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

It doesn't prove that, and he isn't doing a rubbish job. Chill lol

The Beave, DK Pete and xj32 like this.
  6. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

I also put You Know My Name as part of Let It Be. John performs a verse during the rehearsals, so, like Across The Universe and I Me Mine it can be justified to be included.

Library Eye, Lewisboogie and Paul P. like this.
  7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Picture discs have come quite a long way in terms of sound and pressing quality since the seventies. My copy of the 2017 Pepper remix sounds amazing. Unfortunately my LIB pic disc had pressing issues…a strange machine like hum throughout the whole thing. Rather than return it, I framed it.

8. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

What about picture quality? :)

BrettyD and fogalu like this.
  9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Sharper than it was decades ago, obviously. But (maybe I'm in the great minority here), I still place high importance on their playability. Otherwise, what's the point of having the music "encoded" onto the disc....just to say that it is? Might as well just have a round photo of the album cover made of plastic.

fmfxray373 and MrSka57 like this.
  10. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

And more importantly, is it digitally sourced?

11. obi

obi Forum Resident

Pictures not sourced from analogue tape hurts my eyes; literal digital violence!

forthlin and NumberEight like this.
  12. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

My UK order says 28 February and, even with priority delivery, the arrival time is given as 7-8 March.
    (And it seems to be coming from Poland!) :confused:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  13. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

No such animal.
    If it's Blu-Ray you meant, it's superior to streaming. ;)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    Segasonic91 likes this.
  14. Albert Bodamer

Albert Bodamer New Member

Perhaps someone here can help me identify the root of this problem.

I purchased the Beatles Let It Be Super Deluxe with includes a Blu-ray of the original album mixed in Stereo PCM, Atmos and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1.

When I initiate play, John Lennon's opening words "I Dig a Pygmy by Charles Hawtrey and the Deaf Aids..." is cut off at the beginning when I select Atmos or DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 audio. It plays as follows: "g a Pygmy..."

This is not the case when I select Stereo PCM audio. The song begins as it should.

It seems like there must be some sort of transcoding delay between the blu-ray player and my receiver? Yet I have no problems with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 audio in movies, no cutouts or lip synching issues. I can't believe it's the disc itself or its authoring as I would have expected to see others make this same complaint, which I haven't.

My setup:
    Sony VPL-HW40ES Projector, Sony STR-DA5800ES 9.2 Channel A/V receiver, Sony BDP-S6700 Region Free 3D Blu-Ray Player, SnapAV DFM-NTT-100-MW 100" Motorized Screen, Speakers: 2 Polk RT800i, 2 f/x 500i, CS400i & SVS PB-2000 Pro

15. indigovic

I’m guessing you’re experiencing an HDMI resync as the format changes from whatever the menu is to whatever the program material is. If I’m correct, once the content is playing, if you skip back to the start of the track, it won’t resync (since the format isn’t changing at that point), and you’ll hear the beginning of the track. There’s not a whole lot you can do about it, though different equipment might sync faster (or slower).

(Well, there may be one thing you can do, which is configure the player to output the exact same format for the menu as for the content, but that will likely compromise the quality of one or the other—and your equipment may not offer the option anyway.)

16. Albert Bodamer

Albert Bodamer New Member

I think THAT is the problem. The disc menu plays PCM. Unfortunately, even when I am playing the song in DTS HD, hit pause and skip back to the start of the track, it "forgets" the DTS and has the same cut-off issue. Also if I don't hit pause and skip back.

My player audio output options are only "PCM" or "auto."

17. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

As if I'm going to let Paul track mud into the house again...harumph... :cool:

Bonzodog, fogalu, PIGGIES and 2 others like this.
  18. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

These guys?
    [​IMG]
    ;)

TheLoveDrags and Electric Sydney like this.
  19. elvissinatra

elvissinatra Forum Resident

Except that Mal Evans wrote in the July 1969 Beatles Monthly that they finished the Get Back album at the end of May 1969 and planned on releasing it in August 1969.

Release of the album is being held back until August so that it can coincide with the publication of a special book full of recording session pictures.

Apart from the LP and the book, there’s the film which was made while the new numbers were being rehearsed at Twickenham and recorded in Apple's own new studio in the basement beneath 3, Savile Row, our London headquarters.

The fellows would like the film to go on television in August so that everything comes together at the same time.

Mal presumably wrote this before the July 20 screening of Michael Lindsay-Hogg's "Let It Be" rough-cut, and around that same time they must have decided they were unhappy with Get Back and absolutely "shelved" the material until the film got closer to completion and they let Johns take a another crack at it in January 1970 and then shelved again until Phil Spector was brought in to "unshelve" the material in March 1970.

20. indigovic

Just to be clear, my point was that from the moment Glyn started putting together an actual album, it was expected to be released alongside the film, and that the delays in releasing it weren’t about the album being “shelved” because the band didn’t like it or didn’t know what to do with it, but because the accompanying film wasn’t ready.

Your quoted material very much backs up that point: “The fellows would like the film to go on television in August so that everything comes together at the same time.” The album release was explicitly tied to the film release (even though Mal still thought the film would run on TV at that point), so when the film was reconfigured and delayed, the album was therefore reconfigured and delayed. Not because the material was languishing in their minds, but because its companion project wasn’t coming together as planned.

elvissinatra and Lewisboogie like this.
  21. stanleynohj

stanleynohj Forum Resident

If they were happy with it, why did they have Spector re-do it? And why did John say that when he heard the Spector mixes, he didn't puke?

22. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Good because if it was me I would’ve flung it like a frisbee in frustration!

DK Pete likes this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Had I gotten it from Amazon, I would have returned it in a heartbeat but I got it from my favorite indie shop and I know these guys make zero from returns so I just hung it up...looks nice.

fmfxray373 likes this.
  24. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Paul has been on record saying that he liked it and wanted Glyn's version released. However - the Beatles were a democracy, and if all 4 didn't vote to approve - it didn't happen. Hence the bringing in of Phil Spector - most likely by John and/or George, post the Instant Karma single. (See here: https://www.beatlesbible.com/people/phil-spector/2/ )

The bigger question is: "Why did Paul initially approve Spector's mix?" He was sent a copy, approved it, then changed his mind - but it was too late.

UPDATE: I can't find the reference now - all the current searches are saying Paul was notified after the fact - but it's my recollection that there were some interviews (possibly with John) who said Paul had approved the acetate on the phone.

UPDATE 2: Found it:

During the case, Paul admitted that he had originally okayed the Spector mix, claiming that the others were so enthusiastic that he may have been mistaken about it.

(Rest of the quote here: "I hope we passed the audition" - Record Collector Magazine. There's a lot more about the disagreement there too.)​

Cheers,
    Paul

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  25. stanleynohj

stanleynohj Forum Resident

I like Spector's quote on it. Always makes me laugh:

Phil Spector was unrepentant about his work on Let It Be, and adopted a typically combative approach when asked about McCartney’s objections.

"Paul had no problem picking up the Academy Award for the Let It Be movie soundtrack, nor did he have any problem in using my arrangement of the string and horn and choir parts when he performed it during 25 years of touring on his own. If Paul wants to get into a pissing contest about it, he’s got me mixed up with someone who gives a s h * t."

jdicarlo, Aoide, lobo and 2 others like this.