Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I don’t know how the new Let It Be Movie will do (I’m looking forward to it) but hopefully it does better than the original version. Out for maybe a week and barely made a million dollars on its intitial release according to IMDb.

2. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

That is more than Yellow Submarine from the same source. Not as much as A Hard Days Night but not massively so. Obviously the time between them is significant but then so is the potential audience.

3. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

The trivia section on IMDB is not unlike Wiki in that anyone can add. It ran for several week in my area, we went multiple times.

Pizza likes this.
  4. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I saw it as a midnight movie. It still didn’t perform that well on its first run. Or ever, really. I bought the laserdisc when it got released. Visitors at my house will request it when they come over and are almost always disappointed.

5. Harman

Harman Forum Resident

Vimeo has a nice extended cut version of Let it Be ( I hope I'm allowed to say that)

Lewisboogie likes this.
  6. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

You can say that.

But see how long it stays up after a whole bunch of people start finding it....... :shh:

7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I’m not nearly as fanatical as many here but what I personally would like is a box set containing the original UK LIB box, the Get Back album as original prepared and perhaps a single lp of the best outtakes.

ronbow likes this.
  8. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I'm trying to avoid seeing it again until the new version arrives and the old one gets reissued. That is becoming difficult with the current delays. I wonder if they have thought about the potential for people looking elsewhere for their Let It Be fix. After all there have been a lot of cover articles in magazines celebrating its anniversary and these have in some ways created a market for a product both audio and video that is not available or even close.

When you say extended, what sort of runtime are we talking? Is it re-edited in some way or are there just extras which are sourced from released footage from other projects such as Anthology etc.?

9. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

I'm afraid they could not care less. It's been like that for the last half century. wasn't it?
    Watch the movie on your bootleg copy, there's no reason to abstain :pleased:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Lewisboogie, Beatlemen and dormouse like this.
  10. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

You do understand how the universe works, don't you? You seeing it again will be what triggers the new version arriving and the old one reissued.

mcallister, Lewisboogie and dormouse like this.
  11. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Yeah - as far as I know - and my LaserDisc tells me - there's only one cut of it. Well - for now, anyway. :)

I took a peek at it - it isn't the film Let It Be, that's for sure. It uses some of the footage, plus a bunch of other related stuff just kind of stuck in there. For some reason, it even has the Flash video of The Beatles "Come Together" at the end.

It did make we want to watch the original though - good thing I archived my LaserDisc. :).

Cheers,
    Paul

P.S. If you're looking to archive your LaserDisc of Let It Be, see my notes here: The Ideal Copy: Let It Be - A Note About Transferring Old LaserDiscs It's a tricky disc to capture.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    dormouse likes this.
  12. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I thi k that the last time I watched this was on phone while on holiday in Gran Canaria. With the new version due, albeit in 12.months time, I would prefer something of a gap before I watch the new incarnation.

Still hoping for an audio box at the end of the year. If it includes the original film I will watch it. But I don't think it will. It may be that issue that will clobber the SDE. They said it would follow the new film release. If the SDE was due to follow the new film then it would have been the ideal opportunity to find a suitable platform for the issue of the old version.

applejam101 and Lewisboogie like this.
  13. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Probably the original plan was to release the PJ movie in September and, two months later, the SDE with the old movie.

14. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

My Pioneer DVL-919 seems to play problematic discs more effectively than my older Pioneer player CLD-D504 but I never snagged Let It Be.

15. VicSchwarz

VicSchwarz Forum Resident

Hi ! I don’t know if you’ve already seen this but @mikecarrera posted this on POB50’s thread :

« 'LIB 50th' is still on my table! (separated from the new film and that doesn't mean it will be out this year as planned). Release date, configurations, etc, so you can imagine how frustrating is that due to Covid-19 there's an hermetic lack of information. Yesterday I've dreamed that I was checking all the info and configurations regarding 'ATMP50th'!!! and comparing the outtakes in my head with previously available versions! »

16. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Which confirmes what I was saying before: secrecy has been increased (or info have been cut) due to the Covid situation.
    I insist: why would Apple want to miss this year’s Christmas sales, especially now that the PJ movie has been pushed to 2021?

If MPL can release Flaming Pie and the Lennon/Harrison campa hopefully will follow this path this fall, why not Apple with a Beatles box set?

applejam101, Karl Denver and marklamb like this.
  17. Cristiano Cortellazzi

One more thing: if LIB50 is still on Mike’s table, it wasn’t expected to be released on the exact Anniversary in May... :-popcorn:

applejam101 likes this.
  18. Cristiano Cortellazzi

I cannot find the POB50 thread o_O

Tony LeMesmer likes this.
  19. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  20. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  21. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I wonder once the Flaming Pie box set is released next week that shortly after that Mike C or Maccawings will have word on the POB 50 rumored box and/or if the Let it Be box is definitely delayed until next summer to tie in with the PJ movie?

22. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG] [​IMG]

applejam101, MusicFan57 and drum_cas like this.
  23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

finishing up Ken McNab's "And In the End" new book about the Beatles last year, and its the clearest delineation of their last year, a balance assessment between music and business and how the two had an effect on the other. I've read 'Apple to the Core" too and this has some new information.

Nothing startling, but you kind of get the sense anyone of them could have pulled the plug at any time. Would they have continued if Ringo quit? Because I'd guess George would have followed...

Anyways, I think from a psychological perspective if they all took along break from each other, even made a few solo albums, and regrouped in the mid 70's they might have continued in some intermittent way. I can see now that wasn't possible: Business pressures were effectively forcing them to be The Beatles. Or not.

anyways, the original Michael Lindsay Hogg's 3 hour cut of LIB was apparently much more balanced

Meanwhile wondering if Lewisohn's had been talking to the same people from Apple and if we have to wait 10-15 years for his recounting of the saga. I ask this being a fan of the first volume. but just wondering...

24. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Coincidentally I am reading that book at the moment too. I have reached October.

It covers some of the same ground as Peter Doggett's You Never Give Me Your Money, which is my all time favourite Beatles book but is nevertheless a good read in its own right. Like the Doggett book, none of the Fabs come out of it entirely smelling of roses.

augustboy and DK Pete like this.
  25. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

From Wikipedia: 2.3 Post-production

A rough cut of the movie was screened for the Beatles on 20 July 1969. Lindsay-Hogg recalled that the rough cut was about an hour longer than the released version: "There was much more stuff of John and Yoko, and the other three didn't really think that was appropriate because they wanted to make it a 'nicer' movie. They didn't want to have a lot of the dirty laundry, so a lot of it was cut down."​

I would be very interested in seeing this 2 hour, 22 minute version. I'm the owner of one of the Magnetic Video LaserDiscs of Let It Be, so I'm pretty familiar with the 82 minute theatrical cut.

Cheers,
    Paul

Revelator likes this.