'Let It Be' (The Beatles, 1970 Film) Re-release

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aoide, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Beatles Official Announcement (January 30, 2019):

"Following the release of this new film ['Get Back'], a restored version of the original 'Let It Be' movie directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg will also be made available."

NEW FILM PROJECT: Announcing an exciting new collaboration between The Beatles and the acclaimed Academy Award winning director Sir Peter Jackson | The Beatles

Rolling Stone
    Interview with Michael Lindsay-Hogg (November 2, 2021):

Are you still confident that the original 'Let It Be' will be coming out in some form?

"Well, when I first met Jonathan Clyde that day, he said the plan is to find a way to put 'Let It Be' out again... The plan was that 'Let It Be' would come out in some form, after Peter’s had had its run — could be one of the streaming sites in some form, could be a limited theatrical release. I know that [Quentin] Tarantino’s theater in Hollywood, the New Beverly, wanted to show it as a film. It’s in everybody’s interest to put out 'Let It Be' again after Peter’s because they’re totally different films. They’re not competitors."

Original 'Let It Be' Director Defends His Film: 'I Don't Care' That Ringo Hates It

1010 WINS Interview with Michael Lindsay-Hogg (November 30, 2021):

So, what do you do now? Will you reissue your original documentary? It was 89 minutes, right? Will you re-release it and will you make it any longer?

"Well, re-releasing anything to do with the Beatles is in the hands of their company, Apple, not to be confused with the other Apple, but their Apple. And their Apple is kind of like the Kremlin [in] that they will do things when and where they want to do them. The plan is, Brigitte, the plan is that we will re-release ‘Let It Be’ sometime after Peter’s movie, ‘Get Back’, has rolled out. We don’t know whether it will be streaming, we don’t know whether it will be limited theatrical [release], but it will be the original movie, but with [a] new soundtrack from Giles Martin which is just kind of buffed and polished. And also, we’ve already worked on the film, so that it’s brighter, there’s less grain and things like that. Yes, and ‘Let It Be’ will come out."

https://omny.fm/shows/winsam-on-demand/michael-lindsay-hogg-longtime-director-for-the-bea

If you come across any further news or information, please post here.

Vidiot, ex_mixer, supermd and 8 others like this.
  2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I still like it, for it's historical attribute

3. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

I’m sure it’ll be rereleased eventually. The question is whether it’s the kind of “eventually” that comes before we get Lewisohn’s All These Years Volume 2, or after it…

4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Has it ever been mentioned if Hogg ever had a longer or different cut? Not sure how he went about archiving. Perhaps there's a director's cut from that period that never came out. I never thought I'd want to see more footage from this period. I'm all in now.

Aoide likes this.
  5. Aoide

Yes, me too. And I'm excited for the full, restored performances of Two of Us, Let It Be, The Long and Winding Road, Get Back, Don't Let Me Down, I've Got a Feeling, One After 909, and Dig a Pony.
    Plus the additional restored footage/audio not included in the 'Get Back' docuseries.

bhazen, supermd, Scott57 and 2 others like this.
  6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

7. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

My guess is that it will get a physical release next year. It could as a bonus disc on the Get Back deluxe package or as a standalone release (maybe a Criterion one). We’ve heard from Michael previously that the film was expanded for reissue few years ago and so hopefully it’s that version. They had also done a new “making of Let It Be” documentary interviewing many of the folks involved in the original (such as the policemen who show up on the roof). That would be nice to put out as well.

8. Aoide

"A rough cut of the movie was screened for the Beatles on 20 July 1969. Lindsay-Hogg recalled that the rough cut was about an hour longer than the released version: 'There was much more stuff of John and Yoko, and the other three didn't really think that was appropriate because they wanted to make it a "nicer" movie. They didn't want to have a lot of the dirty laundry, so a lot of it was cut down.'"

However, this re-release will only be the 80 some minute original theatrical cut.

9. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

We definetly need Let It Be to be released next year along with Peter Jackson’s new masterpiece.

Together they would make a great audiovisual box set !

10. Aoide

Oh, I would go crazy for a Criterion Collection edition of 'Let It Be'. Their treatment of film is unparalleled.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Nah - it's paralleled.

Others do work just as good. Warner Archives really does better work, as they don't tamper with the source films. Criterion doesn't always stay true to the original.

12. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I would really like a soundtrack album instead of what we actually got. The Billy Preston vocal on "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" was good..."Suzy Parker," "Honey Hush" etc.

Detroit Rock Citizen and vince like this.
  13. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I don't think they did director's cuts back then. That's was more of a post-broadcast TV era development...after the advent of the VCR.
    I could be wrong though.

Aoide likes this.
  14. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I would like the rooftop without the cops and the people on the street making comments.
    I really did like Peter Jacksons's use of the Woodstock like split screen

TimR and RonBaker like this.
  15. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

After watching Matthew North's video reflecting on Let It Be after watching Get Back, he gave valid points about MLH possibly rushing through the footage just to get a finished product. There were too many facial close-ups and a lot of emphasis on Paul too.

What's to say that this film could also be improved and re-edited giving us maybe more music performances? Peter Jackson already offered to restore the film so let's see...

16. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Correct. See the "The last emperor" AR fiasco. I also would add Sony to the studios that usually make great reissues (eg Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on River Kwai).

Agreed on Warners, that seem to do their absolute best whenever they have the chance.

Case in point: Nicholas Ray's "King of kings". That's obviously not "Ben-Hur" and I don't think they were expecting to make money on that reissue, but that has to be one of the most beautiful restorations I've seen on Blu ray.

Criterion has fans, and rightly so, but it's not like everything they do is golden.

googlymoogly likes this.
  17. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Adding to my last post, North also brought up that since the band and crew relocated to Apple Studios, appearances by MLH were less frequent than they were in Twickenham. Could he have felt as if he were cast aside leaving the band to do their thing which he might have taken personally? Maybe North just doesn't think too much of the guy.

Aoide likes this.
  18. VicSchwarz

VicSchwarz Forum Resident

Do we know if this rough cut still exists ? Is it still in the vaults or is it lost ?

Aoide likes this.
  19. crossroads69

Don’t know if that rough cut still exists but MLH has talked about an extended version that he has worked on in recent years. Hopefully that will be included as well.

supermd, Aoide and VicSchwarz like this.
  20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

@Mal posted this trailer:

Anybody know who is doing the voiceover? I recognize the voice, but can't put my finger on who it is.

Aoide likes this.
  21. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Michael Lindsay-Hogg?

Aoide likes this.
  22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I thought that, as well, that it could be..... But it seems to be a voice that I'm hearing from back in my childhood or something .....on TV from way back in the cobwebs somewhere. MLH may be the correct answer, and maybe his voice just sounds like somebody else. I certainly heard plenty of him during the new version of the movie, so maybe that's jumbling the wires of my memory somewhere.

EDIT: I think it may be reminding me of this voice: Very similar cadence.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    Aoide and Mal like this.
  23. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I think it's MLH - just not his natural speaking cadence.

supermd and Aoide like this.
  24. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Eh? Maybe you missed it but a nearly 8 hr version was just released. If it ever comes out am sure it will be just the original version, something that is now pretty much only of historical value given the release of Get Back.

25. crossroads69

Don’t think so, having watched it 3 times so far! :)

My point was that MLH was given an opportunity by Apple to present his updated version for potential release (before plans changed). So if Let It Be gets a stand-alone physical release, then would be an easy feature to include it along with the original.

905, supermd, Paul P. and 1 other person like this.