Let it Bleed (50th anniversary)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Atomic Punk, Apr 24, 2019.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Haven't seen one yet, can Abkco be SAC(ke)D for this box?

2. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I noticed that as well from when it first went live !

The abbey road set is much better value, I’m heading back in that direction maybe, ha.

Need to order something to look forward too !

johnnybrum likes this.
  3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

My personal favorite Stones album.

905, Sean, DK Pete and 1 other person like this.
  4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Both are great albums. For me, Sticky Fingers lacks some darkness that I enjoy so much in Let it Bleed. And that's why it edges out SF as my favorite.

5. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

$178? I'll pass.

6. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

stoneknuckle likes this.
  7. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

If trusted people report a significant improvement in sound quality, I'll get the stand alone CD or LP. I can't justify buying the box.

In that case, why Beatles or Stones? Think out of the box ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...c16-d4b886747c64&pf_rd_r=DJJ7BG024SMWR89M6SFJ

btltez, Carl80, tages and 1 other person like this.
  8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

9. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Everyone knows you can't have your cake and play it too.

10. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Can I get one with repelicas of the musicians on the cake? I want them for my music room.

11. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Coricama likes this.
  12. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I don’t know where you shop, but I’m paying $110 shipped.

All Down The Line likes this.
  13. And yet, they managed to cooperate for the disappointing On Air set. Signing off on the inclusion of some outtakes and single edits for this release would've taken even less effort.

Bonddm and eddiel like this.
  14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

One would think ABKCO and the Stones could negotiate some sort of win-win settlement that would allow albums such as Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed to be reissued with outtakes and bonus tracks, as the White Album has been reissued. I’d pay $120 for a 5-CD Let It Bleed Super Deluxe box with a master quality take of Keith singing Gimme Shelter, and all of the other goodies that we know exist from this era.

Just because there’s this pre-existing stupid state of affairs between ABKCO and the Stones doesn’t mean it always has to be this way.

15. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

How will this differ from the existing DSD reissues also mastered by Bob Ludwig?

16. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

I would say Keith "might" live that long, but isn't he already dead? Looks like it...

[​IMG]

All Down The Line likes this.
  17. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

Wow, looks like they wanted to get on the Beatles re-issue bandwagon.
    But the difference is, putting in zero effort.
    Include vinyl and mono and charge like a major box set?
    I'm guessing these are the same, decades old remasters.

18. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

Since we're talking "50 years", I always wondered why the Rolling Stones two 1969 releases, "Let It Bleed" and "Thru the Past..." both feature smashed stuff on the back covers.

19. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

20. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

It confuses me just a little that so many people listen to "Gimme Shelter" first on this album.

I listened to the cassette version for years, hundreds of times, and it always starts with "Midnight Rambler" on side 1 and the title track at the end of side 2.

I had to burn a copy of the CD version to get the songs in the right order.

21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

This is what the ABCKO site says: Eleven-time Grammy®-winning mastering engineer Bob Ludwig was tasked with remastering this edition of Let It Bleed and worked from Direct Stream Digital files taken from the original tapes at a 2.8 MHz sampling rate."

Sounds like it's the same mastering unless they asked him to redo it, which seems unlikely.

EDIT: Took to long to post so Coricama beat me to it :)

22. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

OK thanks!

Coricama likes this.
  23. J Zone

J Zone Forum Resident

Taken from ultimate classic rock .com. A blurb from Bob Ludwig about a the remaster. “When we did the first Let It Bleed remaster in 2002, our intention was to pay homage to the original work,” said Ludwig, who also had a hand in remastering other classic Stones albums over the years. “When we did this new version, the purpose was to make it as great as it could possibly sound. If you listen on a good set of speakers or good headphones, you’ll hear subtle things in the background that are now much more clear that were somewhat hidden before.”

laf848 and DK Pete like this.
  24. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

My favorite Stones album, Gimme Shelter is the best Stones song of all time. However the 50th Anniversary offers too little for me to buy it. The mono is a folddown so no need to upgrade from the CD and mono lp reissue. The 45 is way to common.
    Why now include a 45? Now if they would have done a picture sleeve reissue of Street Fighting Man or We Love You with those respective albums then I would have been in (those are the only two sleeves I’m missing).
    There were a number of unreleased tracks from this era why not include them.

ODShowtime likes this.
  25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I can't believe this is even a thing, and even more surprised that anyone would buy it, given that (by law) includes zero new content and a mono fold down one could feasibly do themselves if they wanted.

As far as reissues go, I can't imagine this sounding any better than the earlier LP reissues (I have the 2010-ish ABKCO-era box), which I also often saw for sale individually over the last 10 years, so there's really no point to this existing.

ODShowtime likes this.