Let us now praise The J. Geils Band..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by samthesham, Jun 13, 2018.

1. recklessczar

recklessczar Forum Resident

I was there at the 2/18/72 too! What a great show! I can still hear PW shouting.... First I look for the purse! Also really liked Captain Beefheart. I seem to remember it was a cold snowy night, could be wrong, we are closing in on 50 years ago. :(

2. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Some bands are so good live that you can't capture that spontaneous energy on record, whether it's a live recording, or a studio effort. Having seen the J. Geils Band live, I rarely listen to their albums. You can't recreate the magic.
    I suppose the best artists can do studio and live equally well. Those that do great studio recordings but are lame in person fall into a third category.

Oliver likes this.
  3. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

Full House and Blow Your Face Out, are my favorites by them, but nothing beats being there.

ARK, The MEZ and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Love the live version a heap too.

5. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

Duke and the Drivers?

trednour, Pete Puma and BadJack like this.
  6. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

The James Montgomery Band?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  7. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Reading this discussion just prompted me to do the same!

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I was really happy with them. Great band

9. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident Thread Starter

Like Bill Graham told us at a Country Joe And The Fish concert...

The cops are out front , they'll be in here in a few minutes , so do what you gotta do quick....whatever it is get it on & get it off !

10. npc145

npc145 music junkie

Beefheart did not go over well with most of the audience. I remember a lot of booing.

11. Which sets are these?

12. geodos

geodos Forum Resident

I have posted these before. Some shots I took a while back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Albatross? :whistle:

Cachiva likes this.
  14. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

New England?

15. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

These are the two Original Album Series 5 disc sets.

The J. Geils Band - Original Album Series

The J. Geils Band - Original Album Series Vol. 2

Between these two, you get CDs of the first seven studio albums, the '79 edition of the Best Of The J. Geils Band compilation and the first two live albums Full House and Blow Your Face Out. Once the VAT was deducted for US shipments, each set came to a hair over $14 on Amazon UK. Including shipping, for about $35 you get the prime of their stuff, before the poppier hits. At that price, it's kinda hard to go wrong...

16. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

No, I was actually thinking about Aerosmith when I posted that. Not to hijack this excellent JGB thread, but let me first praise Aerosmith: they worked their arses off, especially in their early years. They deserve all their success. They were even playing high school dances in that area when I was a lad, too young to see them. And they often put on a great show.

But they also mailed it in, or put on a half-arsed, sloppy show one too many times, for my liking. You cannot take your hometown fans for granted. J. Geils certainly never did, to bring this full circle back to them.

On a side note, who saw James Montgomery put on a bad show? The couple of times I saw them as an opening act (for J. Geils, I believe, though I might be wrong about that), they were quite good, and energetic.

lonelysea and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  17. A6mzero

A6mzero One foot in the grave, one foot on the pedal

Man it wasn’t a party in the early seventies until Full House went on the turntable! Got to be one of the most exciting live albums of all time. The S/T, Morning After, Bloodshot, and Nightmares are all outstanding. Not much of a fan of the eighties output however I have several of Peter Wolfs solo offerings which are outstanding.My favorite is Midnight Souvenirs from 2010. Whammer jammer baby!!

18. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

The James Montgomery Band were great, to be honest. They sort of lived in the shadow of the mighty J. Geils Band back then, it seemed.

I saw “Geils” in 1978 on the Monkey Island tour. I’m sure they were awesome but my best memory of that show was their little-known supporting act called Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers!

A6mzero and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  19. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

If you're a fan of this band, get the Speakers Corner issue of the first album! Original master tapes used. Great music and a superb reissue!

20. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

In support of their Love Stinks album they played the Beacon Theater in NYC. Sold out.. There was a show advertised in the Village voice for Juke Joint Jimmy and his House Rockers at the Great Gilder sleeves club 2 nights later .. I was lucky enough the bribe the doorman to let my date and i in at the side door. And at a table 20 feet from the stage i watched The J. fn. Geils band blow the roof off the place. What a night.. I also saw them open for YES and they totally ruined the headliners night.

Pete Puma and A6mzero like this.
  21. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Original poster lost me in his 3rd paragraph.

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great band.

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

You do know that a live version of Love Stinks was issued form that show, don't you?

JasonA and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  24. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Reputa the beauta

CAP and clhboa like this.
  25. Just six of the coolest mofo’s to ever walk the planet.

[​IMG]