Let's talk about Joe Walsh's music career and albums....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wayneklein, Jul 21, 2017.

1. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Don't worry about it, what about the guy who only has the CD!:mudscrying:

JG

footlooseman likes this.
  2. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

I aggree.
    Plus you seem to know the band members works far better than me so i won't argue... :D

3. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

That was killer.

wwright, Slim Zooms and Joti Cover like this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

rivers of the hidden funk was written for the long run album

Joti Cover likes this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

How tracks as inferior as “Teenage Jail” and “The Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks” made the final track listing over “Rivers” is one of the more baffling things to happen to an Eagles album.

GoodKitty, slipkid, yesstiles and 3 others like this.
  6. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

Forever my favorite JW tune.

7. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

thanks for all the likes!!!!!

CybrKhatru and Slim Zooms like this.
  8. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

I absolutely love "One and One/Giant Bohemoth". Such a beautiful, poetic track -- it's the one that converted me to a Joe Walsh fan for good. Barnstorm is a terrific record.

9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

my guess henley and frey limited the number on non henley/frey tunes

10. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Hear, hear! 1000 Likes for THIS! My first paying job was as a DJ at an AM station in a little town in Montana, pop. 5000. In the summer of '76 we got a stack of promo 45s in the mail from Columbia/Epic, and I played them during my night shift. Got a lot of requests to play "More Than A Feeling" again, and I said aloud on my show "this sounds like the James Gang's 'Tend My Garden' with guitars instead of keyboards," and the next night I brought my copy of Rides Again from home to prove it. In November my roommate and I quit our jobs for non-payment and drove back to WA. When we were driving over the Snoqualmie Pass on I-90, as soon as the Seattle FM stations came into range we tuned to one of them, just in time to hear the jock on KISW saying "we got a lot of response when we played this last night" and it was Scholz the Plagiarist and company! Arrggghhh!!

Slim Zooms, slipkid and evillouie like this.
  11. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I tried to watch it too. "Laguna Salada" was as far as I got. Still have the DVD; someday I'll watch it all the way thru.

12. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I used to work with an audio engineer who was their sound man back in their days around Cleveland.
    He described them playing at venues ranging from bars, high schools, parks, shopping mall parking lots, etc. Sounded like fun times.

slipkid likes this.
  13. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Great line up here, Don Felder, Jay Ferguson, Joe Vitale, amongst others.

Can't help but notice the work he did with others.
    Here is one fine example:

Dan Fogelberg - As The Raven Flies

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Witchy Woman, CybrKhatru and slipkid like this.
  14. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I see what you guys mean about There Goes the Neighborhood. Really expensive on CD. At least on eBay.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Actually that one is not too bad - am looking now and am seeing it sealed for about $75 (from Spain? I wonder if it is legit or what) and used for about $35. I've seen some OOP CDs with asking prices over $100 b4. Have even sold some.

You Bought It...You Name It looks ridiculous with asking price of $80 right now there for not even a Like New copy. I see one sold for "only" $24.99 in crappy "good" condition a few months ago up there, and a "like new" copy went for $100 about 2 weeks ago.

Matthew Tate and Slim Zooms like this.
  16. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Could be due for a re-issue then.

Matthew Tate and slipkid like this.
  17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I wonder if Bill S-mck (sorry I can't recall how to spell his vowel challenged name right now) is still out there and kicking? He & Joe made some great albums together over the years and I bet he might either have or know of many unreleased JW or JG gems (?). To be able to get a full-on comprehensive mostly unreleased Joe/JG boxset would be unbelievably great. I'm afraid with all the time that's gone by anything that might have been sitting around in a studio vault somewhere is probably way lost by now though.

18. PacificOceanBlue

Not sure what Bill Szymczyk is up to these days. He was involved with some of the "Long Road Out of Eden" production over a decade ago. It is unclear what sort of archival items there might be for Joe Walsh. I doubt there are many outtakes lying around -- as dynamic as he was, Joe was not prolific (why re-record "Turn To Stone" two years later other than for needed material to fill out an album?). There might be some cool alternate guitar parts or alternate mixes lying around, as well as some live tapes (at least the complete 11/26/75 Don Kirshner show). That said, it would be cool to see some sort of comprehensive Joe Walsh box set -- his back-catalogue has gone ignored for too long.

GoodKitty, slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

True. There is always a ''new'' best of getting released instead. He must have 3 or 4 versions of the same best of album out there but never as you say unheard or unreleased stuff. You guys are right, a big anthology is long overdue.

By the same token, Eagles must have some outtakes etc. Henley & co seem to love making a dollar or two, how come they don't release any of these?

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. PacificOceanBlue

There are definitely Eagles outtakes, at the very least there is one known outtake from 1972 ("Get Up Kate"), half an album of unreleased tracks produced by Glyn Johns for "On The Border," "Victim of Love" with Don Felder on lead vocal, and a number of songs in varying degrees of development for "The Long Run." There are also songs from late-1990's sessions. Frey and Henley were very particular about quality, and made a point of not issuing material that they felt was inferior to the band's standard. That of course does not explain why they mailed it in with a few songs from "The Long Run," but that was their philosophy nevertheless. As such, I suspect Henley is not keen on digging up that material.

That said, I think the band could do something interesting for the 40th anniversary of "The Long Run," because even though there are likely not vocals, there are probably some intriguing instrumental pieces from the sessions (snippets partially heard on "Long Run Leftovers"), as well as the 1980 Santa Monica Auditorium live tapes to work with. It won't happen, but it is a nice thought.

21. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

slipkid likes this.
  22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I kind of wish he hadn't frittered away so much time with the eagles.....im sure his bankbook didn't mind but 1975 to 1981 he only released that one album....its a killer though. ps this song has been the one that really resonated with me from HC after all those years

yesstiles likes this.
  23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Me too. I was an Eagles fan growing up b4 I even discovered Joe Walsh, but then once I did I was a much bigger fan of Joe than I was of the Eagles. And even though I liked both artists I felt Joe did not fit in with them musically, found him to be a perplexing choice to join that band when I heard about that. I would rather have Joe just gone his own way but it worked out pretty amazingly good for him career-wise, obviously. I did get to see them both pre-Joe (think it was in '75 for One of These Nights) and with Joe a couple times a few years later for Hotel CA and/or Long Run tours.

GoodKitty likes this.
  24. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Jonny W likes this.
  25. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I really like that Joe is sober and proud of it.

Witchy Woman, bxbluesman and Comet01 like this.