Let's talk about Joe Walsh's music career and albums....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wayneklein, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Yup, all Joe! I did my homework and made sure that he wrote the riff and that he plays it live before I posted!

Slim Zooms likes this.
  2. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Fully agree. That was my take as well, back when Hotel California came out.

I was a freshman in high school when I first heard the album, and could tell on the spot that Walsh injected a brilliant, slightly unhinged element that was the perfect complement to their polished sound.

I had also heard the previous two albums, and was a huge fan at a young age. But somehow, despite the fact he was a new arrival, it sounded as if he had always been part of the band.

3. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I don't know if any of you guys saw the recent Sky Arts ' On The Road' programme with AC/DC's Brian Johnson chatting with Joe Walsh.
    I enjoyed it, no real surprising revelations but interesting nonetheless. Features a couple of clips of some of Joe's songs old & new.

4. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

Having just f0und this thread, here's my Joe Walsh story: I saw Farm Aid III in person in Lincoln, Nebraska, in September 1987. Joe Walsh came out in the mid-to-late afternoon and played a long, great "Rocky Mountain Way." Then, after the song, the stage revolved. From the crowd, you couldn't tell whether they'd allowed him only one song, or whether a technical problem cut short his set. There did seem to be a long break, with some confused mulling-around onstage. Walsh came back out, took photos of the crowd, and said, "I'll be back!" But the show went on, with no more Joe Walsh, to my personal frustration.

Hours later, the live network broadcast began, and Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp and Neil Young played the finale. The lights went on in Memorial Stadium, and the crowd started to file out. But then the stage revolved -- and it's Joe Walsh, first with a fantastic "In the City," and then closing it out with "Life's Been Good." ("I lost my tractor and now I don't drive.") It was a surprising, intense and thoroughly enjoyable set. The rumor in Lincoln -- maybe it was true, maybe it wasn't -- is that the "powers that be" were none too pleased that Walsh had come back out, since the show had been choreographed to end at a time certain and the network broadcast had ended. More reliably, I was told that Joe was a little, um, eccentric backstage. But it was one of the most memorable sets I've ever seen.

5. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Great Story!

fr in sc, Slim Zooms, slipkid and 2 others like this.
  6. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Some of the guys that Joe has played Rocky Mountain Way are a bit surprising. I remember reading that he turned up at gigs by the likes of Neil Young & Bruce Springsteen & played it with their bands.
    Well, it surprised me :oops:

7. Billy_Sunday

I would like to hear a Joe Walsh / Neil Young collaboration.

Nightfly68, mikew and wwright like this.
  8. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

I bet that would be amazing.

Crimson Witch and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Listened to Barnstorm over the weekend. I have the Hip-O Select. Great album - but the sound is atrocious on this CD .

Yuck - sounds like everything has a curtain over it. Very dull. Is there a better version available?

cheers,
    ~dm

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I got this one:

Joe Walsh - Barnstorm

11. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

12. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

13. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I found a really sweet live album from 1981 on CD several years ago...it was from the Neighborhood tour. Great gig and great sound, but I assume it's grey-market??

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

15. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Haven't listened to it recently, only version accessible right now is my iPod version that I downloaded from the disc probably 12 years ago or so. Figuring one from Mobile Fidelity is going to sound a little better than a Hip-O-Select, but maybe not $60 better.

16. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Never understood the appeal of this guy. Always sounds like he’s drunk.

17. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes, he has a couple live radio type things legally released now in the UK, also a couple real silver bootlegs from back in those days.

footlooseman and CybrKhatru like this.
  19. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Rose River Bear likes this.
  20. Taxee

Taxee Forum Resident

21. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

This is my preferred version :agree:

22. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

It was Joe’s contractual obligation Album.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

what album was that?

24. Billy_Sunday

:love:

Matthew Tate and GoodKitty like this.
  25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

It's a shame Analog Man is mastered so abysmally. The songs are good, but I really can't listen to it. It's just way too compressed for my ears. I would kill for a decent version.

Billy_Sunday and Matthew Tate like this.