let's talk about our pressing of ALVEAR (Led Zep, AC / DC, CCR, Young ... and others ...)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christophe Lethimonnier, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident Thread Starter

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon

:shh: ;) :cool::wave:

2. Christophe Lethimonnier

Curious and fun! I own the German pressings of Sticky Fingers (A3/B3) and Exile on main street (Artisan) and found the bass to be more pronounced!?
    Anyway the 10C series is amazing! Less "audiophile", more organic and sensual than the other "Hi-Fi" classics on the forum (Sticky fingers A3/B3 or EMI UK LPcent 38, Exile Artisan, Goat's head soup CBS or Deluxe (Atmos mix), Black & Blue Sterling , Tattoo you RL...etc...), I think our mysterious engineer really captured "the Stones sound". Special mention to "Exile" and "Goat's head soup"...mojo included!

:cheers:

3. dee

dee Senior Member

Very good.

I tried that 'Soup' CBS vinyl release from the 1980s. For me I went back to a used copy from '73 I had of a US pressing, from Presswell I think, and preferred the sound of that stew! From what I had to choose from! :). Very hard to stew stones ;) but I think they rolled them together well!

4. My next Spanish pressing will be Tattoo you. I love side 2 so much, can't wait to hear it!

5. Christophe Lethimonnier

What no Pink Floyd album from the 10C series [...]?!

Really?!

Pink Floyd-The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (Vinyl, Spain, 1979) En vente | Discogs

Pink Floyd-The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (Vinyl, Spain, 1979) En vente | Discogs

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

Pink Floyd - Soundtrack From The Film "More"

The Pink Floyd - Meddle

The Pink Floyd - Meddle

Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

https://www.discogs.com/fr/release/16153836-Pink-Floyd-Wish-You-Were-Here

https://www.discogs.com/fr/release/16153836-Pink-Floyd-Wish-You-Were-Here

https://www.discogs.com/fr/release/2004264-Pink-Floyd-Animals

https://www.discogs.com/fr/release/1597150-Pink-Floyd-The-Wall

https://www.discogs.com/fr/release/2416130-Pink-Floyd-The-Final-Cut

multirock likes this.
  6. dee

dee Senior Member

I tried a solo Waters and Gilmour search for you too out of hope but nothing from Hispavox for them.

I do recommend the Hispavox alvear pressing of two good Who solo albums - Pete Townshend 'Empty Glass' and John Entwistle 'Too Late The Hero'

7. Christophe Lethimonnier

You will not be disappointed ! Cut stronger than my RL! More three-dimensional and more "carnal" What sublimates the listening of...the B side! ;-)

Really "in your face" too! Magnificent mastering!

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  8. Christophe Lethimonnier

Thank you dear friend. I plan to extend my reflection soon.

Christophe

multirock likes this.
  9. Christophe Lethimonnier

10. Christophe Lethimonnier

11. dee

dee Senior Member

Oh Dear, Christophe, I hope this doesn't turn into another Beatles thread ;)

Looks like 3 Lennon singles from Double Fantasy are Hispavox S.A. manufactured with at least one showing a uu alvear listing. The album itself looks to have a variant in the deadwax but mastered at STERLING and possibly pressed elsewhere? Maybe only 'distibuted by Hispavox' although 1 side in the listing shows a S.90.### cat# etched in the wax.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  12. Christophe Lethimonnier

Dear @dee,

Don't forget that the purpose of this thread is to discover other pressings that we rarely talk about! The discovery of Marta ALVEAR will have been decisive in moving the spirits a little. But there are still many obscure countries and engineers to promote (Piero Mannuci for example) or to discover!

Christophe :wave:

Post scriptum: This is not a new thread dedicated to the Beatles but just an interlude dedicated to their Iberian journey!

dee likes this.
  13. StratNg

StratNg Well-Known Member

Hi there, I'm a couple of months late, but I just received an A8/B6 matrix with the wave symbols on both sides! It sounds stellar!

dee and Christophe Lethimonnier like this.
  14. Byrie

Byrie Forum Resident

Assuming you bought from Discogs, I think you may have purchased the copy I was looking at ....not long after this post I checked my Discogs cart and the A8/B6 I had in there had gone ... :shake:
    Oh well, you snooze you lose.

I won't be the snoozer again.

15. StratNg

StratNg Well-Known Member

Actually I did buy it on Discogs, but this was a copy which was mislabelled (I think the sub said A8/B8). The seller told me it was actually a B6. I would have bought it anyway cus it was in a good shape. VG+ but with a conservative grading. To me it's EX. Keep an eye open, there will be more copies certainly:) I'm on the lookout for A8/B8 Led Zepp II, but tough luck for now.

16. Christophe Lethimonnier

Do not despair ! The hunt for a pressing you covet can be a very long quest. We must remain vigilant and patient. I haven't made a final decision yet :)wiggle:) but maybe I'll release some ALVEAR pressings soon. Unfortunately I checked in my collection and I no longer have Led Zeppelin l. Sorry. :(

Christophe

multirock likes this.
  17. Byrie

Byrie Forum Resident

Please PM me if you do!

multirock likes this.
  18. Christophe Lethimonnier

A difficult decision to make!:rolleyes:

19. Christophe Lethimonnier

I return to this copy of TSRTS. Really intriguing! There are several copies of TSRTS entirely cut by Marta ALVEAR. As well as other "Hybrid" pressings, with sides signed ALVEAR, and others stamped (but probably cut by Marta). Now on my copy, 2 sides are cut stronger and particularly the one with No quarter and Starway to Heaven (as I had pointed out). Sounds warm, powerful and very loud! At least compared to the two B-sides! I don't own any other pressings of this double album, just the blu-ray of the movie...sorry! If some want to comment on their own copy, that would be interesting! I was wondering if these volume variations were originally on the tape or if it was Marta's choice? But another hypothesis would be that Marta ALVEAR cut a lot of dies, some stronger than others, and then these were mixed at the pressing plant. Simple assumption. But if so, that would mean finding all the pressings of TSRTS to piece the puzzle together!

multirock likes this.
  20. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hi guys !

Seen this night this advertisement for a German pressing of Led Zeppelin ll:

[​IMG]

Cool! :D ;)

21. Christophe Lethimonnier

I hope the first American pressings are as hearty and juicy as my Spanish reissue 1979 series 10C [...]!? :D

22. Christophe Lethimonnier

If I put some ALVEAR records up for sale, it will probably be on EBAY.

multirock likes this.
  23. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

Wow! Please let us know which records and when you will sell them!

24. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

I have a half-RL and half-PF.
    :D

25. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

This last week I made a new interesting discovery about the Alvear pressings.
    Until last week I’ve always thought that the very early copies of the “Alvear years” (late 60’s or early 70’) were all machine stamped. Also these copies have a distinctive ring text on the label, on which letters are bigger than the copies from mid 70’s to early 80’s.
    So, despite those copies sounds great (my Zeppelin II A5-B3 its a great example) and as we have discussed it’s very probably that Marta Alvear is the mastering engineer behind many of them, I had never seen one of those copies with the “wave sign” or the Alvear handwritten, so I have focused my searching mostly for the copies since the mid 70’s onwards.
    But last week I found two records that have the early labels with the Marta Alvear handwritten.
    Those records are: Yes-Fragile (A3-B3), and Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (A1-B1).
    I bought the Yes one. Sounds fantastic. This is my third Hispavox copy of this album, and it’s the best of them.
    I didn’t buy the Zeppelin copy, it has several scratches….and worth 25€!!
    So, what do you think about this?
    Apart from being a new chance to get new Alvear “certified” copies, could be a new clue about when Marta Alvear start working on Hispavox.
    Best regards

dee and Christophe Lethimonnier like this.