let's talk about our pressing of ALVEAR (Led Zep, AC / DC, CCR, Young ... and others ...)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christophe Lethimonnier, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi dear @thealbumwithabananaonit

I would like to be you ! ;-)

:cheers:

Christophe

2. Christophe Lethimonnier

It would seem that the A6/B6, A7/B7, A9/B9, BP5 masterings are the audiophile versions of the A8/B8 matrix, very radical mastering where Marta ALVEAR pushes the tape to its ultimate entrenchments! Nevertheless, the homogeneity of certain parameters (in particular the texture) should guarantee great listening pleasure! Enjoy!

Christophe

Freddy's Dead likes this.
  3. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

4. thealbumwithabananaonit

thealbumwithabananaonit Forum Resident

What's ya verdict?

5. thealbumwithabananaonit

All this talk has got me wondering if any of the 1981 Spanish pressings of Joy Division’s two albums will do me got as an alt to a ‘Porky’ and ‘Old Blue’

6. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hi,

Very very good ! I'm going to do an A/B shot with my ALVEAR A9/B6 pressing to determine the nuances between these two masterings.

Christophe

dee and multirock like this.
  7. Freddy's Dead

Freddy's Dead Forum Resident

Nice. If it is in good (great) condition you should be VERY happy with it as I am with mine. My 9/9 is in better shape (NM) than my 8/8 (VG+++) and if that is all I had, I wouldn't need more. It is powerful and clean.

But am still glad I have the unrelenting and more powerful 8/8. Even if just for the bass in Heartbreaker - but the rest too.

8. thealbumwithabananaonit

This has got me thinking more on Spanish mono issues in general. Been thinking about getting the Spanish monos of Otis' Love Man and Aretha's Lady Soul but they're most likely machine stamped. Any regards if their fold-downs from the stereo? How do machine stamped usually sound?

9. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hi dear @thealbumwithabananaonit

I looked for Joy Division's first two albums (+Closer). It could be a good bet... provided you choose the right manufacturer!
    Opt for EMI-Odeon, SA.
    Avoid Iberofon, SA.

Christophe

10. Christophe Lethimonnier

11. Christophe Lethimonnier

12. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

Thanks!!
    For my ears, and according to your audios, the best pressings of the Zeppelin spanish Polydor catalogue are I and HOTH. Both sounds fantastic. Loud, clear, detailed, and dynamic.
    This III copy sounds a bit dull... to much bottom end for my taste.
    Do you share this appreciation?
    Kind regards

PD: Any experience with PG from this catalogue?

13. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hi Esteban,

Yes I share your sentiment. I think the engineer wanted to remove all traces of harshness that can be found on certain masterings, but this is to the detriment of energy... too bad!

Yes HOTH and Led Zeppelin l sound great! Did you notice the length of "How many more times"?! ;-)

No experience with Physical graffiti.

Christophe

14. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

Oh no! That's awful!!

15. Christophe Lethimonnier

Collector !

16. Neonpark

Neonpark Forum Resident

3:41

dee and Christophe Lethimonnier like this.
  17. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hi,

Yes dear @Neonpark

Curious discovery! This is the first time I've seen Led Zeppelin's debut album in its "abbreviated" version.

Christophe

Neonpark likes this.
  18. Christophe Lethimonnier

multirock and Freddy's Dead like this.
  19. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

A favorite of mine. Sounds like thunder!!

20. thealbumwithabananaonit

So my copy just came in today. Seller had mislisted the wrong matrix but my copy turns out to be an A7/B7, still excited to clean and play it!

If this ends up being a good experience (especially from what I've heard about the sound of the bass) I may explore some disco records to see if she cut any of them!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  21. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hi!

Cool! I think it should be a great experience! And finally almost a happy coincidence that the seller was wrong! In my humble opinion, it seems more judicious to me to have a perfectly homogeneous cut (A7/B7) than pressing with different matrix. Even though all of Marta's cuts for the second album sound great!

Christophe

postscript: i'll hand over the HD audio file of the brutal A8/B8 so you can score the nuances. ;-)

22. Christophe Lethimonnier

Special dedication for @

I'm reposting the file of the Spanish reissue of House of the holy released in 1982.

Some people have asked me why I would prefer this one over Marta ALVEAR's mastering. I'm talking about the A5/B8. I know there is also an A4/B8, but I've never heard of this one; at least the A side. I can only speak of the A5/B8. Let us understand each other well; it's an excellent mastering, very good, but by an irony of fate (I had already said it), the reissue sounds even more "ALVEAR" than Marta's own work! I find this impression of gigantic mono tuned like the best work of our mascot! Especially the ones made in the early 80's. This is probably the most energetic version I've heard. Contrary to the mastering of George Peckham, cut very very hot, distilling a listening a little "sore" which corresponds well to the solar atmosphere of the album. I'm not a very hot cut fanatic, but I really like George Peckham's mastering.

Christophe

LED ZEPPELIN House of the holy Cara A (spanish pressing 1982 WEA).wav - Shared with pCloud

LED ZEPPELIN House of the holy Cara B (spanish pressing 1982 WEA).wav - Shared with pCloud

23. Neonpark

Neonpark Forum Resident

Wow.
    Thanks!

24. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Currently spinning Alvear's AC/DC Back in Black. Sounds so good! Looses a bit of clarity vs. the US RL but love the extra bass punch! Similar to the Aussie Albert Maxicut pressing.

25. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hi @Neilson77

Glad to see you again at club Marta! :wave:

Great ! Glad you're happy with this new acquisition. Yes agree with. The US RL pressing has a slightly more pronounced drum sound and a hint of extra clarity while the ALVEAR pressing is a bit more organic and aggressive in the guitars. Nice bass too! This comparison reminds me, in some ways, of Led Zeppelin ll RL versus ALVEAR A8/B8…but less contrasting!

Can you send us the matrix? I was wondering if Marta had cut several lacques for Back in black. :shh:

Thanks.

Oh by the way, I followed your recommendations for cleaning my vinyl records. I tried with children's glue (the brand is Cléopâtra, a glue with a lot of water) and the results are even better than my Winyl Gel because the adhesion is better...and the price is four times cheaper ! :righton: I will provide the chemical composition of it as soon as possible? Probably there are similar versions in each country?
    Thanks again !

Christophe

Neilson77 likes this.