let's talk about our pressing of ALVEAR (Led Zep, AC / DC, CCR, Young ... and others ...)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christophe Lethimonnier, Oct 22, 2021.

1. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

The Harvest Pelé copy of Meddle it’s great!! It’s my back up copy to my UK second pressing.

2. thealbumwithabananaonit

thealbumwithabananaonit Forum Resident

I would love to be able to find pressings of Gainsbourg’s 50’s-70’s works here in the states, but besides a 70’s comp I’m saving up for the Vol. 1 Boxset a while back.

3. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi!
    Wow, it's not often that I can chat with an American Serge Gainsbourg fan!

How did you discover it?

Christophe

4. Christophe Lethimonnier

I kinda have to! I have friends who tell me all the time: "Damn Christophe when are you going to buy Pink Floyd records!"

multirock likes this.
  5. thealbumwithabananaonit

thealbumwithabananaonit Forum Resident

Well the compilation was a $1 thrift store find, a 2xLP greatest hits on Phillip. I was drawn to songs like Le Poinçonneur and L'Eau A La Bouche, the former helped me appreciate his sometimes macabre touch. Here in the states most people (if they know him at all) think of his late 60's early 70's work like Je T'aime and Melodie Nelson, and some of his shock schtick.

6. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

Interesting,
    What's your U.K. matrix?
    My comparison was made with a 1u-1u.
    The closests I got are the 1st Australian pressing made from the same parts and the 1st Japanese pressing.
    The Pelé (1978 edition) was more like my WG repress from the 80's (purchase new around 1983), dull, lifeless.

7. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

8. Christophe Lethimonnier

Great dear friend! Happy for you. I hope you will be satisfied with the quality of the mastering, very different from A3/B3 for example.

Otherwise I listened to the Spanish mono version of the album Aftermath again... really great! The mono works wonderfully because it makes you forget the lack of sound variety of the stereo mix. For the stereo version, the 1981 Greek reissue (light blue labels with red piping) sounds fantastic. The stereo mix remains a little rudimentary (typical of that era), but the dynamics, bass density and presentation are superb! Neat and tidy!

Christophe

marantzbe likes this.
  9. Christophe Lethimonnier

Received my David Bowie Heroes cut by Fernando Cortez...wow! Sounds wonderful!

Christophe

10. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

That's confirm my opinion on the Spanish mono Aftermath (mine is a 70's version). For the Stereo, I'm also done with the 1976 U.K. stereo.

11. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hi dear @marantzbe

Yeah Aftermath in mono sounds really good! :righton:

Cool if you found the stereo Aftermath pressing of your dreams! I would like to hear it! Just to compare it with the Greek press. :agree:
    I'd like to find an Aftermath cup that sounds like the ©1981 Spanish reissue of Between the Buttons. Unfortunately I think this is wishful thinking!:shh:

Christophe

12. Christophe Lethimonnier

I hope that your copy will not have the defect noted on mine!? After my setbacks with my product "Le diable détacheur", I think it was a pressing defect (a recurring tick during the first two minutes of the song Sister Morphine) because I had already cleaned it with Cléopâtre glue ... without success ! So ultimately not many regrets!
    Side A sounds perfect!

Otherwise I found a new near mint copy of this fantastic mastering masterpiece. It's on the road...

I hope to be happier than with the previous one!? :sigh:

Christophe

multirock likes this.
  13. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

He is spelled Pellé, if I'm not mistaken (Jean-Claude Pellé). And yes, my French Pellé-cut copy of Meddle is stellar.

14. How does it size up to the 1U/1U UK original?

multirock likes this.
  15. Freddy's Dead

Freddy's Dead Forum Resident

A package arrived from Madrid today with this LZ PG:

CARA 1: All handwritten: HSWS -68101-A7 , .......and below that the Alvear wave. :) , also the handwritten 1-2
    CARA 2: Also handwritten: HSWS-68-01- B11, also an Alvear wave, also the handwritten 1-2
    CARA 3: stamped (I think Christope has this full handwritten and 02-B7 with wave ?), mine shows: HSWS-681-02-a-6 and handwritten 1-2
    CARA 4: stamped, HSWS-681-02-B-3 and then the handwritten 1-2.

I have another Spain PG that doesn't have the magic waves but sounds really good (great). I did't compare them but all 4 side here on the "new" one sound fantastic - even the stamped. Have more listening to do but the sound stage on all 4 sides is really nice (I'm tired so not many good adjectives from me tonight!). Looking forward to more time with this one!

16. Freddy's Dead

This Spain White album was also delivered; The Beatles - The Beatles , some parts sound very good but none of it has any low end and some of it also a bit too twangy. My White album search continues. I ordered a German pressing a few minutes ago so we'll see that that sounds like.

multirock likes this.
  17. Have you tried the -1 UK or the 1978 UK white vinyl? I prefer my original UK myself, the white vinyl is great on some tracks but too strident to my ears on others. My mid-late ‘70s UK pressing is pretty damn good too, I can double check matrices when I get a moment

18. Freddy's Dead

Thanks, the White album is one of the very few cds I have (early US -bought it the week it came out - remember waiting for it to be released) that sounds so good that I have been a bit more less "agressive" in my search for great vinyl. There is a very good White album thread somewhere and also received some good tips from Mr. Hutt.

My favorite so far is the 2018 Giles Esher Demos....but is the only Giles I like the most (meaning the Giles is not my favorite for their other albums) - and although it is a very good sounding record, it isn't a great sounding record IMO. But still very, very good.
    I have an '85 white DMM record from Germany that most everyone seems to like but I much prefer the Giles. The 85 seems veiled to me - esp the horns (woodwinds?). I need to sell that one since it is going for a good bit.
    I also have the 2014 mono which is also liked by most but doesn't click with me either. That said, I haven't heard it in a while and need to give it another spin.
    There is the Spain above. Just missing any low end. I can hear Paul's bass guitar fairly well but no sense of bottom end anywhere. I'll give it another listen before I put in the sell pile though as the acousticals sounded very good.

and I just ordered this one yesterday which is a 1977 German: The Beatles - The Beatles , should be here later next week.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  19. I also quite like the '18 box set. The Esher Demos of course give something else you can't find on LP anywhere, and I love to spin that. The standalone '18 remix was pressed at QRP while the box set was pressed at Optimal - the QRP press definitely sounds different - and better on most tracks. Might be worth seeking out if you are a big '18 remix fan.

I would seek out a -1 copy, there are ways to get this cheaper than the OG UK of course. It was pressed in other countries, maybe Holland IIRC, using the same stampers. There is also the Pathe Marconi import pressing for the UK which uses -1 stampers. My OG UK -1 on all four sides is my personal favorite. I haven't heard the DMM German, but if you think it sounds veiled, there is a chance you will feel that more so with the original cut. IME the DMMs are brighter, but I haven't heard the DMM of this album so it's speculation.

The '78 UK White Vinyl may be most to your liking. Solid state cut, and this cut downright rocks. I miss the more psychedelic feel of the -1 on some tracks though, personally. Many here consider that white vinyl pressing to be the very best. A mid/late '70s solid state UK cut kind of splits the difference to my ears, and these can often be had for cheap. If you are trying to maintain a budget, I might recommend starting there.

I am interested to hear your findings on the '77 German copy. I do like a lot of German pressings from this time period, but have never heard this album on a German pressing.

Best of luck in your search!

20. Freddy's Dead

Thank you! I have the 78 UK white in my discogs want list but not a -1. Will do some Discogs searching. Thanks again.

21. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

My copy doesn't have that defect. Plays great.

22. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

1U/1U sounds better to my ears. But this Pellé copy is the best back up pressing that I've found. Better than german, dutch, or US pressings.

23. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

Try a Spanish mono original

24. Christophe Lethimonnier

25. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

Thank you for sharing those Christophe.
    I don't have the proper equipment to listen to them, I'm limited to my laptop with Plantronic headphones.
    I listened the 1st 15 seconds of all stereo files, at least 10 times each.
    The 1973 German sounds more natural to the others, around 13-15 seconds, I can hear the true sound of the membrane from the drums.
    The 1985 DMM sounds to me "unreal" in comparison with the 1973 WG
    All the others have the U.K sounds signature, and they sound similar on my ears with my limited system.