Lets talk about Talk Talk *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Den., Dec 15, 2015.

1. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I agree with these comments: Salamanca is very cool, but the sound of Montreux is much, much better, and not only because of the stereo vs mono aspect.

The only reason I don't play Montreux more is that $%^#& 50Hz hum that got capture on the recording. I tried to notch it out once but it didn't work. It could be that the tape was very slightly off-speed, meaning the tone on the final product might be a few Hz lower or higher than 50Hz. Or it could be that the tone has a bunch of harmonics because of the equipment it went through and/or because of the venue ambience that's captured on the recording (and that would add harmonics and reflections of that 50Hz tone just like it would add to any other sound that came through the band's amps and speakers that evening).

My live Talk Talk go-to, therefore, are the May 7 and 8 London shows. I have a de-limited/de-clipped version of London 1986 that sounds nice, but the Talking Colours bootleg is my current favorite. I remember when I first discovered Talking Colours I tried to make a merge of its setlist with what's on London 1986 but couldn't do it - only then did I realize that they are from two different performances! (The official release is from May 8, while Talking Colours is a needle-drop of the BBC transcription LP from May 7).

2. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

I really wish they’d do a London 86 LP release. I also wish I hadn’t sold my copy of that and Talking Colours back in the early 2000’s when I sold all my CDs :(

3. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

Forum member review of the In A Silent Way documentary here for anyone interested.

4. domesticmachine

The Mark Hollis book is up for pre-order at Rocket 88 for those who signed up for the mailing list. It looks like it will be up for everyone tomorrow. People who signed up get 10% off.

I picked up the classic edition. See you in the ‘Roll of Honour’ this spring when it ships. Part of me is regretting putting my name and not signing up ‘John Cope’.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  5. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

I’ve also signed up for the classic edition and the ‘Roll of Honour’. Looking forward to getting this in the Spring.

6. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

I'm a sucker for a slipcase and this is Mark Hollis after all. So...

7. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Currently in the process of listening to all of Talk Talk's albums including the b-sides and remixes from Asides Besides out on my walks. Focusing on an album a walk, today was It's My Life. I did this last year and it's just amazing hearing that transition from pop to minimal. Talk Talk was just such a brilliant band.

8. serj

serj Forum Resident

Paid for the Signature slipcase edition with my name. I was sure that if I will choose a classic edition I will regret about it later.

9. domesticmachine

Yeah I get so OCD I’m gonna mess up a book when I read it I try and get the least expensive option :). I’m sure the slipcase one will be gorgeous.

RandellG likes this.
  10. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Re laughing stock, I discovered that album in 2006 (and the band) and spirit for that matter, I gravitated more to spirit at the time, but laughing stock slowly took over to the point it's my 3rd all time favorite album now, it's an incredibly deep record with always something new to find on every listen and it's a timeless sort or record really, not stuck in any decade...

St. Troy, kevin5brown, tmtomh and 4 others like this.
  11. Suggy Bop Bop

Suggy Bop Bop Your advert could be here.

I also went slipcase and roll of honour.

With the greatest of respect to the author, I could pass on his signature, but I figured this was a great way to get James Marsh's signature without buying a print from his website (although the day will come when I do buy one...just waiting for the right time and house!).

St. Troy and JulesRules like this.
  12. Suggy Bop Bop

I rate SOE and LS as good as each other, but honestly I am absolutely obsessed with After The Flood. I listen to it every couple of days, several times.

Some people may say those albums should be listened to as a whole (I don't) but this song seems to literally be a part of my life, as I cannot go more than a few days without hearing it. I did buy the US edition of LS as well, for the few seconds of notes played when After The Flood has faded out.

St. Troy, fitzrik, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  13. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

after the flood is one of the best pieces music ever commited to tape, there is so much in that track

Steve62 and Suggy Bop Bop like this.
  14. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Yeah, that's tempting me too. I was close to buying a print several times a few years ago but just couldn't really afford the £60 price. A bit later when finances were better I decided to go for it, but I was shocked to see the price had gone up to £149 which is completely out of my range. The cynical part of me wonders if that happened when Mark died...

St. Troy likes this.
  15. Suggy Bop Bop

I thought the website always had some items in triple figures?

I've wanted a good sized signed print for a good few years now, but due to personal circumstances I've known I'd be moving home twice (finally settling next year) and haven't wanted a pricey item with an increased risk of damaging it while moving two times, as I have damaged something in the past.

But I was definitely looking at James' website before Mark's death and recall seeing prices in the upper range you quoted.

St. Troy likes this.
  16. Phil Tate

Ah OK, maybe I'm being unfair. But there were definitely signed prints available at about £60 at one time.

17. Freddy Steady

Freddy Steady Forum Resident

Colour of Spring is very much a transitional album and that’s why it’s their masterpiece. The perfect meld of their melody and otherworldliness.

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I find they are great soundtrack for taking on walks. Are you using a DAP or just your phone?

edfom likes this.
  19. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

An old iPod Touch with lossless encodes listening on my HD 598 Sennheisers. Nothing super special but always sounds great to me.

JeffMo likes this.
  20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I haven't tried Talk Talk yet on my new audio toy in avatar (Sony NW-A55 Walkman), but I will rectify that later today! :righton:

edfom, c-eling and JulesRules like this.
  21. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

"After the Flood" is THE track for me and I love the single version of it too.

tmtomh and Suggy Bop Bop like this.
  22. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Hi.

Lovely first UK pressings of Colour and Spirit arrived this morning. Aside from Laughing Stock, I now have nice first pressings of their catalogue. The Euro Hollis record is a sonic wonder even though my copy is noisy.

All my "lesser" pressings sound pretty great, but am hoping the UKs will wring out a little more magic.

Should probably get on the Hollis book before It sells out.

23. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Very cool! Congrats on the nice additions to your original UK pressings.
    At one point, I had three unplayed/mint copies of the UK first pressing of Laughing Stock. I still have one copy, though I've played it, gave one to a friend and sold one of the copies to Vincent Gallo about 10 years ago.

Anyway, best of luck finding a nice copy to complete your collection!

24. Phil Tate

"I sold a vinyl copy of Talk Talk's Laughing Stock to Vincent Gallo" might be the best name drop I've ever heard. Magnificent work!

How did that come about?

richard a and tmtomh like this.
  25. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Ha! There's no way to make a statement like that without sounding a little douchey, I admit.

I had a copy listed in discogs (for much less than they sell for these days), and he placed an order for it on a morning that I was heading up to L.A. to hang with my friend for the day (to go to record shops, go out to eat, etc.). Since Vincent lives in L.A., I contacted him to see if he'd be up for meeting up in person that day, rather than me shipping the record, he was very glad for that, so we made plans to meet. I didn't make a point to let him know that I knew who he was.
    We sat at a picnic table outside a Whole Foods for well over an hour, talking about music and art. He totally opened-up once he realized my friend an I were fans of his films and music. He shared a bunch of stories about that stuff. Turns out he quite an audiophile, too. We've seen him walking around the Arts District in Downtown L.A. (where my friend lives) a couple times since, but I'd never presume to approach him expecting him to remember me. I am sure he remembers and treasures the record, though.