Lets talk about Talk Talk *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Den., Dec 15, 2015.

1. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

Again this is one of my favorite things I return to again and again, I was blown away when it was revealed despite it being the time of Mark’s passing, but I can only imagine if Tim has more like this…music beyond words. Eden rehearsal cassette

St. Troy, BradB, jamesc and 7 others like this.
  2. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

True, but Live In London 1986 comes pretty close, different concerts of course. I'm a 5.1 guy also, so if I just want to hear it, I just turn the TV off and crank it.

davers, negative1, JulesRules and 3 others like this.
  3. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

London 1986 and Montreux are both great shows; I own the CD of the former and the DVD of the latter (play the audio only) and enjoy both.

However, London 1986, while it sounds really clear and muscular, is a bit too compressed, while Montreux, while it sounds good overall, has that #%^& 50Hz ground hum that got picked up quite prominently by the recording equipment.

Still, both great performances and very decent sonically.

St. Troy, jay.dee, jamesc and 4 others like this.
  4. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Hear you on this - it's just become part of the experience for me. I find it easy to ignore after all these years.

Jagger69 and tmtomh like this.
  5. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Here's a lot of demos and two amazing Kid Jensen sessions

Mark Hollis+Talk Talk - Demos.zip

01 - Mark Hollis - Caralyn (1979 Demo Version) -
    02 - Mark Hollis - Mirror Man (1979 Demo Version) -
    03 - Mark Hollis - Renee (1979 Demo Version) -
    04 - Mark Hollis - Crying In The Rain (1979 Demo Version) -
    05 - Talk Talk - Talk Talk (1981 Demo Version) (Asides Besides) -
    06 - Talk Talk - Mirror Man (1981 Demo Version) (Asides Besides) -
    07 - Talk Talk - Candy (1981 Demo Version) (Asides Besides) -
    08 - Talk Talk - Such A Shame (1983 Demo Version) (Chameleon Hour era) -
    09 - Talk Talk - Tomorrow Started (1983 Demo Version) (Chameleon Hour era) -
    10 - Talk Talk - Caroline (Living In Another World) (1983 Demo Version) (Chameleon Hour era) -
    11 - Talk Talk - Eden (1988 Demo Version)

Kid Jensen 1981
    Kid Jensen 1983 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyTdLUWUaBo

6. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Can't get that link to work.

7. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Weird - can view it no problem, works without an account too

Didn't put this together nor did I personally find any of these recordings - it's a comp of the super rare stuff, not counting alt mixes as mentioned

jamesc, negative1, tmtomh and 3 others like this.
  8. Suggy Bop Bop

Suggy Bop Bop Your advert could be here.

Friese-Green posted a rehearsal of Eden, which caught many by surprise and also suggests there may be further unheard recordings from SofE.

Laughing Stock suposedly had the master tapes intentionally destroyed after the album had been released right? Don't believe they rehearsed anything for LS, although I think the same impression was given for SofE however, and turned out untrue in the case of at least Eden. So who knows.

I'm not sure there is any EMI material that isn't available somewhere.

In terms of Mark (solo) I think ARB-1 was originally intended for a movie (possibly Marie Antoniette??) then earmarked for a different movie project which the director left and thus refused to allow Mark's music to be used, and this track ended up on Boss. The director has suggested that there is more material however, which makes sense if ARB-1 had been recorded as part of an entire movie score by Mark.

But I don't see any unreleased 'Mark' stuff ever being released, and I mean ever. Without going into specifics, we know almost nothing about Mark and his family, who I suspect have control over his solo work, and taking his legendary privacy and retirement into account I genuinely can't see them ever putting stuff out now since his passing. The opportunities came and went while he was alive, it just doesn't fit with the obvious values of the Hollis family that they would start bunging out posthumous releases.

I personally like the mystique anyway! TT and Mark wouldn't be the same if we suddenly got a massive boxset of material that scooped up tons of unreleased material.

St. Troy, jamesc, Amnion and 2 others like this.
  9. ggggreenisaac

ggggreenisaac Brutalised by bass / Terrorised by treble

I suppose there's always the six or so tracks on the 1990 single re-releases?

negative1, JulesRules and tmtomh like this.
  10. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, also two tracks on the original US version of Natural History. And the Talking Colours Italian bootleg CD, which is a very good quality needle-drop of the BBC transcription LP.

Only trick is sorting out which versions are from which show - they played two nights at the Hammersmith Odeon. The BBC transcription is from the first night and the London 1986 release is from the second night. I haven't bothered to sort out which nights each track from Natural History and the singles are from, but I'll get around to it - or maybe someone else has already done so?

JulesRules and ggggreenisaac like this.
  11. Suggy Bop Bop

I bought Natural History on VHS when it was released and that had an amazing live version of Give It Up...was that from Hammersmith?

I've watched the Noel Oliver directed live show that's out there, but it's so long since watching the VHS that I can't remember/work out if it is the same performance or not.

As with all things VHS, I have no idea what even happened to my copy. I have the CD version of Natural History, which included a DVD, but Give It Up isn't included. Maybe there are rights issues preventing a digital release of this concert?

I may have said this already, but I still have no idea what size fanbase TT has both at home in the UK and then globally, where rights issues become even more complicated, and I suspect the record companies/rights owners don't really know either.

Where I am going with that train of thought is, all you really see of official TT releases are varying versions of best-of's, because they will sell to casual listeners, or I presume smallish runs of vinyl releases. I'm guessing (and it IS just guessing I acknowledge) that the market is so untested in terms of live releases (or boxsets of material etc) either as audio or visual, that nobody is going to bother putting it to the test in case they lose money.

This I guess is the hard part about being a TT fan. We'd all like to see a cleaned up remastered concert BluRay maybe, but what if there are only about 100 of us who would even buy such a thing? I really do wonder.

St. Troy, davers and negative1 like this.
  12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Ok I can understand if unreleased vault material never gets released by the family.

But OOP live EPs and b-sides that were officially released should be fair game for reissue, streaming, etc.

13. Suggy Bop Bop

Definitely, 100% agree. Just wonder what market there is, just looking at Mirror Man (seemingly) being 're-released' by streaming only.

I'd shell out money for a cd or vinyl single proper re-release of it.

St. Troy, negative1, shaboo and 2 others like this.
  14. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Are you sure about this? Because my version definitely has it.

St. Troy likes this.
  15. Eleventh Earl of Mar

16. Suggy Bop Bop

It's packaged away in the loft at the moment, but I've just looked at the order from when I bought it and you're right, it is on the tracklisting.

My memory it seems is more blurred than I thought.

In that case, this show could be released on dvd then!

tmtomh and JulesRules like this.
  17. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

This US version of It´s My Life is so much better than the one available on Spotify, which is the official 12-inch? Is the US version available on any CD I can buy?

JulesRules likes this.
  18. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

yes they rehearsed SOE and some live rehearsal demos exist, I didn't know they supposedly had the MTs of laughing stock destroyed, and yes you are correct there was no demos for it, it was composed in the studio although some alternate mixes were made...

For me though the holiest of holy grails would be the demos (yes they were made) of his solo album.... I would pay a kings ransom to hear them if indeed they still exist... hopefully they do...

19. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

"It's My Life (US Remix)" is on at least two compilations:
    Various - Classic Alternatives 80's - 12" Extended Rare Mixes
    Various - Extended 80s - The Definitive 12" Collection

As for "Such a Shame (US Remix)", I found three occurrences via Discogs:
    This CD single:
    Talk Talk - Such A Shame
    This German compilation:
    Various - Best Of Pop & Wave - The 12" Mixes
    This Spanish comp:
    Various - Guitars & Machines Vol. 3

St. Troy, davers, negative1 and 4 others like this.
  20. Suggy Bop Bop

I think it was the record label who dumped the LS tapes, rather than the band. Don't recall where I read that, but understand that's why it went out of print (after the initial release I think) and I believe any release afterwards has used the CD as the master! It is possibly mentioned in Phill Brown's book, but may be from elsewhere to be honest. I may not be 100% on that, but I'm sure it was the label ditched the masters and deleted the album from their catalogue.

Regarding 'Mark Hollis', again Phill's book mentions how a huge percentage of the album was redone as there was a huge error in the initial recording, something to do with levels or it was recorded in mono or something crazy...again the loft has my copy of the book in storage, so I can't check at the moment. I know Phill came on board and they started most of it again, funded by Mark, so who knows what is lying around unreleased from that period.

21. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Well, now you've gone and cost me money. :)

Seriously, though, thanks for bringing this up. It prompted me to look into those 1990-91 CD single reissues to see which live tracks are available.

From what I can tell, there were four such CD singles released. Three were released in 1990 to help promote the Natural History comp, and one was released the following year to help promote the History Revisited comp.

They contain a total of 7 live tracks from 1986, although only 4 are explicitly labeled as being from Hammersmith in London. The other 3 probably are too, but they are just labeled as "live" or "live 1986" so they could be from Montreux (I'm unaware of the existence of any other professionally recorded performances from that tour).

The Life's What You Make It single contains the two live tracks included on the US release of Natural History and so would appear to be redundant for the purposes of compiling all these live tracks:
    Talk Talk - Life's What You Make It

The Such a Shame single includes "Talk Talk" and "Dum Dum Girl" labeled only as "live 1986":
    Talk Talk - Such A Shame

The It's My Life single includes that track and Renee, both labeled as live from Hammersmith:
    Talk Talk - It's My Life
    Talk Talk - It's My Life

And finally, the 1991 Living in Another World single includes a live version of that track, only labeled as "live" but obviously it's got to be from 1986:
    https://www.discogs.com/release/2003297-Talk-Talk-Living-In-Another-World
    https://www.discogs.com/release/448873-Talk-Talk-Living-In-Another-World

I found an eBay seller who had both Such a Shame and Living in Another World for sale and we agreed on a discounted price with combined shipping for both, so in about a week or so I should be able to figure out what shows those three tracks are from. I'm still seeing if I can find a US-based seller at an affordable price for the It's My Life single.

It will be interesting no matter which shows these turn out to be from, but my hope is that they're all from Hammersmith. If they are all from May 7 - and if the two tracks on Natural History are from May 7 - that would be cool, because they would all be nice sonic upgrades from the Talking Colours bootleg (being a very good needle drop of the BBC vinyl, but a needle drop nonetheless with some surface noise and softening of transients). If they are all from May 7 it could also be used to reconstruct virtually the entire May 7 show when combined with the 3-4 tracks on Talking Colours that don't appear on Natural History or these CD singles.

On the other hand, if the live versions of "Talk Talk" and "Dum Dum Girl" from the Such a Shame single were from May 8, then that would be the only place those May 8 tracks are available, since they are both from the early part of the set and the London 1986 album starts about 1/3 of the way through the set with Tomorrow Started.

Never heard this before - thanks! It's a great version. I always thought the studio version didn't sound great. The version from the Live at Montreux CD is great - clear, impactful, and with nice ambience - and this one you've shared almost sounds like a hybrid, capturing the strength and impact of the Montreux performance, but with a less live and more live-in-studio sound somewhat similar to the studio version.

22. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

This is worth picking up too since it has Tomorrow Started from the same Ahoy show as My Foolish Friend:
    Talk Talk - Such A Shame

I was bummed they didn't include My Foolish Friend on that CD since the previous releases included both tracks.

23. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Is there any reason for how Phil Ramocon ended up going from "maybe primary keyboardist/4 piece band" to "live/session player for It's My Life era stuff"

I thought for a long time Tim had a great deal in the general direction they ended up landing on for that record, but the demos and that 1983 session is more or less asking me, as a whole, how much was Tim involved as far arrangement is concerned on all the LPs?

St. Troy and JulesRules like this.
  24. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

The live versions of Talk Talk and Dum Dum Girl on the cd single are from Montreux. The other live tracks are from Hammersmith.

25. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Ah, I see - many thanks!

Best,
    Matt

Jagger69 and negative1 like this.