Lets talk about Talk Talk *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Den., Dec 15, 2015.

1. Baidur

Baidur Forum Resident

I do love Shearwater. Checking out Bark Psychosis seems to be a bit expensive. So I might try out Coldharbourstores. Thanks for the tip.

2. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

on all the top 100 list they are on they stick out as the only one I don't get

3. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Yea, that's a shame the Bark Psychosis Hex record and CD remain OOP so much of the time, but I guess most people don't care if they have a physical copy anymore, streaming is fine. I think the last LP reissue was a few years ago, so maybe it will come around again soon. You could always download and burn your own CD :)

The Coldharbourstores record is very nice. Sounds like you probably like a lot of the same things as me, so you'd probably like it too, definitely worth a listen or two. The Virginia Wing record from last year is great too, as is The Early Years. Some good times in music right now.

Baidur likes this.
  4. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I noticed that I didn't REALLY fully appreciate Sprit and Laughing until I heard them with, uh, a higher consciousness.

Sometimes, my mind can be a little busy to appreciate music like this. With a quieter mind... I get it and agree that they are indeed high water marks.

geogaddi83 likes this.
  5. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I appreciated the albums after a couple listens (and I prefer Laughing Stock to Spirit Of Eden) but that would indeed heighten the mood and i shall give it a go at some point :righton:

CaptainFeedback1 and Sandinista like this.
  6. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I recently bought the remastered reissues of Colour of Spring & Spirit of Eden. Colour of Spring sounds excellent but just playing Spirit now for the first time and sounds pretty distorted. Has anyone else had issues with this vinyl release? Everything I've read is how great it sounds but to my ears it's distorted in places (only on first track). I did a comparison with my CD and it doesn't have that issue. It can't be the set up as the other record sounds fine. Could it just be a dodgy copy?

7. everythingmusic

everythingmusic New Member

Colour of Spring is amazing, Hollis is one of a kind and simply disappeared, why? we just don't know.

Front 242 Addict, Carlox and bcaulf like this.
  8. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Is it the Bada Bing vinyl you have? My copy was genuinely one of the worst LPs I ever bought. I turned my copy into a decorative bowl. Bought a Parlophone copy and never looked back.

9. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

No, it's the Parlophone pressing. The CD sounds great so will prob stick with that but I did want to play it on vinyl too

10. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Is it the whole track? Cos my old vinyl copy got a bit messy during the climactic "that ain't me babe" bit, but the rest sounded great.

11. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I played it through and found a scratch on the final track also that clicked 4 or 5 times so requested a return. Anyway, it bugged me that everyone was saying how good the sound was and my copy was a bit crap so took my turntable into the dealer this morning to have them adjust the force (they have a digital meter) check the alignment of the cartridge and then under a microscope (!) they looked at the stylus and the gel I've been using to clean it hasn't done the job and there was a build up of crap so they sold me a brush and cleaned it. So then I returned home and played it again. Much better but still some slight distortion on a crescendo on one of the tracks so I think that's just the way it is. So I've now ordered a replacement copy from Amazon and found the price dropped £3 as well. So basically, my love of Talk Talk lead me to have my turntable serviced! Looking forward to the new copy arriving this evening!

12. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

From the books, he grew tired of the music industry and music and left the field.

later

13. PsychedelicWheelz

PsychedelicWheelz Forum Resident

Sorry...just thought of The Music Machine.

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I like It's My Life. Classic song and video.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Front 242 Addict and davers like this.
  15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Listening to Laughing Stock now for only the second time ever. Seriously, how good were Talk Talk?! I'm going to give it a couple weeks now and then get the final (related) release I don't have which is Mark's solo album.

Bob J, richard a and Davey like this.
  16. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the Laughing Stock vinyl reissue from a couple years ago? Specifically how is it for surface noise and anyone know the source?

17. PretzelLogic

The Back To Black one on Verve (2012, not the 2016 Polydor one) is one of my best-sounding LPs. Don't know the source, but it instantly atones for any pressing errors GZ has made in other records, because they pressed this and it's flawless to my ears.

Caveat: My QC isn't as high as others on this board, but I know a good pressing when I hear one. And this is one of them.

18. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

If you're a fan of Arrested Development, I'll take your advice :righton: Does the polydor one have a bad rep? The verve one is over £65 on discogs!

19. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Shearwater is the band that I listen to when I'm in a mood for that Talk Talk vibe and don't want to to listen to my go-to in that vein, David Sylvian. I think that the Arc Trilogy (Palo Santo, Rook, The Golden Archipelago) is really sensational, and I'm just sorry that they seem to be departing from that style.

Baidur likes this.
  20. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I don't know about the vinyl, but if you become as obsessed with Laughing Stock as I am, you might enjoy this thread I started a couple of years ago about an extra few seconds of music on the US CD :)

Talk Talk's Laughing Stock extra bit??

St. Troy likes this.
  21. PretzelLogic

There's always money in the banana stand...

I don't know about the 2016 pressing, but there must be some knowledgeable folks on here who do. Discogs reviews suggest the EU edition is good though.

Porkpie likes this.
  22. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

If you see the Ba Da Bing! pressing in the bins, get it. There are two different Ba Da Bing pressings. The latter, which is more likely to be found in the wild at this point, was cut by Kevin Gray and pressed at RTI and sounds great.

krlpuretone likes this.
  23. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Well, that's the mythology some of the English music press would like us to believe, but not exactly the cas e (despite the sensational headline)...

Talk Talk: the band who disappeared from view

Hollis didn't just disappear, he just went back to raising his kids and composing music on his own, in his studio, without the pressure of doing it for commercial release. He's still around, people know where he is and see him around town, so he's hardly a Howard Hughes figure.

Reading the section of Phil Brown's book on Talk Talk recording sessions, it's a wonder we even got the last two albums out of him - imagine spending a year recording in a dark room, daily, only to have the record company turn around and say '00000kkkayyyy, WTF is this you've just handed us???'

There's a lot of pressure to deliver in such a situation, from bandmates, management, record label execs looking over the shoulder and threatening to cut off funding in mid process...not surprised he chose to opt out.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Got around to doing this one a few days ago
    It's A Shame (US Single Version), 1984

jamesc and JeffMo like this.
  25. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

here's my custom framed and mounted artwork for 'living in another world' art print..

[​IMG]

here is my cover of omni magazine 'dreams', with the dum dum girl artwork
    [​IMG]

i have a couple more framed pieces, with reproductions of artwork on them.

later