Let's talk about The Beach Boys - Holland

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

He will find that out soon enough. Then he'll sing a different tune. :)

Lonesurf and starduster like this.
  2. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

I did not mean you, Sir!
    Ever since they became an oldies act they attracted people that react to Blondie as Trump to Megyn Kellie.

3. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

To me, Holland is the epitome of 70's Beach Boys and I wish this sound continued for a few more albums. I remember how blown away I was when I first heard it. Just another example of how deep their catalog is and how many gems they recorded throughout their career. From "Surfin'" to That's Why God Made The Radio.

Folknik, D.B., Lonesurf and 1 other person like this.
  4. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

I don't understand this tired slam about The Beach Boys being an "oldies act" ..... Are they not supposed to play songs that were hits? Are they supposed to not play songs that are so good? Do they also play deeper cuts and non-hits live? Yes, they still do and always have. How is having amazing material and playing that amazing material somehow make a band an "oldies act" "controlled by Mike Love?" ... Some fans just feed off this contrived Beach Boys sob story.

905, S. P. Honeybunch and starduster like this.
  5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Many devoted fans really love their albums from the early 70s, up through Holland, because it felt like they were still embracing a forward looking sound and sometimes tackling serious subject matter. Many also agree that 15 Big Ones was a big setback on almost every level and they never truly regained their creative edge, IMO, though I do appreciate the quirky charms of Love You. For me, this is definitely not a Mike vs. Brian scenario (though admittedly some always go back to this kind of argument). Obviously, Brian had receded from the picture by the time of Holland, while the others were carrying the torch and then Brian ostensibly returned for the poor 15 Big Ones. I just wish that they could have continued to make strong albums like Holland. Losing Ricky, Blondie and Jack Reilly really hurt them at that point.

6. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Holland is a terrific album and the best Beach Boy release along with Pacific Ocean Blue from the 70's (I also include Love You with that)

7. erikdavid5000

I understand that point of view, but this happens to most bands that succeed.

When the money began rolling in after Endless Summer and they started packing stadiums, by this time, the boys has various kids, alimony payments, pending divorces, college tuitions and on and on and on ..... And this was coming after a very creative yet lean period financially. I can easily forgive them for not exactly making another Holland their top priority

8. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I can too. But I can also take it another step and tune 'em out altogether if they're not going to develop anything fresh. I can pop back in later if something unusual appears. Like Smile Sessions.

Meanwhile there's plenty of BBs in my server if I need a fix.

Folknik and bibijeebies like this.
  9. erikdavid5000

Exactly!!!!

I do happen to think LA is among their best albums and several individual tracks since Holland have been tops.

Mr-Beagle, Lonesurf and starduster like this.
  10. L.A. is awesome.

11. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It's superb. I don't understand why some people think it's depressing.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  12. erikdavid5000

Those are the people who read the song credits first, only see Brian's name twice (and a third time for a remake) and concluded based upon that, that the album sucks

Siegmund likes this.
  13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Right. I've read people who claims it's depressing in the Leonard Cohen/ Lou Reed sense, which is utter nonsense (and only proves that such people only listen to the 'sunshine pop' Beach Boys and 'light' music generally). I've always thought it was a very varied set in terms of moods and shifts. Excellent production, too.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    erikdavid5000 likes this.
  14. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Ya know...

Some years ago, after content on Youtube really exploded, I gave every post-15BO album a serious extended listen. Previously, 15BO was the last straw for me back in 77.

I even gave the oddly-revered Love You two chances.

I really tried, but I could not for the life of me latch on to ANY of these albums. Despite the occasional gem, to me, their very worst instincts came to the fore to stay, and it's hard to lose the notion that it was the Endless Summer turn of events that made all of this happen.

It's not because Depressing Brian or Conservative Mike is front and center. It's because the music became trite. To these ears, anyway. I'm inclined to hang with artists who can surprise on occasion. King Crimson, yes. Stones, no.

So, no more Hollands, I guess.

That doesn't mean I hate em. Heck, I like the fun oldies like anyone else. But I never made a secret of preferring times when they tried hard to stretch out and do something more sophisticated.

If they can't do it any more – after a half century :eek: – well, fine. They threw down plenty.

Why, they even blew Sgt Pepper outa the water back in 67.

Oh, wait , that didn't actually happen...

15. Tristero

It seems to me like you're the one with the axe to grind on this particular topic. Since when does Holland have a bad reputation (unlike 15 Big Ones and even the divisive Love You, both of which featured much more input from Brian)? Most serious Beach Boys fans know that Brian withdrew to a large extent at this point in their career, but the rest of the band rose to the occasion and delivered a lot of great music in his absence. This more democratic phase of their career has posthumously been recognized as a real highlight. I'm a big Brian guy, but I love this period despite the relative scarcity of credits to his name.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  16. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I should know this being a huge bb fan (well maybe I'm more of a huge Brian fan) but who was in charge for the most part of producing these albums during this great period of the band? Is it mostly Carl with some help for outsiders, is it an outsider working with them...the pre67 days are easy, it's always Brian, but who was calling the shots in regard to the studio albums between 69 and 73ish?

17. Tristero

My impression is that Carl was taking the lead in terms of production, with a lot of assistance from Stephen Desper.

18. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

boy, if it is just the two of them it really shows Carl knew how to produce.

19. Bruce

Bruce Senior Member

It was one of my go to records to play during my High School days in the early 70's!

D.B. likes this.
  20. VinyLen

VinyLen Forum Resident

Coincidentally, so did I! I loved that TT/cartridge combination. Holland sounded terrific through my Dynaco A25s. Unfortunately, I parted with Holland during the now much regretted LP selloff following the advent of 'perfect sound forever'. (What the hell was I thinking?!?!?)

Looking forward to picking up the AP reissue!

ssmith3046 likes this.
  21. erikdavid5000

I know LA was basically Bruce and Carl working up the Brian and Dennis (sweetening Dennis' Bambu demos) stuff along with Carl's stuff while Mike and Al were working on Sumahama and Lady Lynda.

As for my axe to grind, yeah, I admit it, but it comes from so many people over the decades pretty much outright saying "this album or that album sucks because there's no Brian"

22. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The Carl & The Passions: So Tough album which preceded it is just as good, but is even less discussed than Holland.

Folknik and erikdavid5000 like this.
  23. Tristero

Well, some people are ignorant and biased, but true fans--like most of us here, I would hope--dig deeper and try to develop a more well rounded view of things. Though it was sad that Brian's muse seemed to dry up in the early 70s, it's great that the rest of them got a chance to shine and the enduring quality of these albums speaks for itself.

Siegmund and erikdavid5000 like this.
  24. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Lots of good stuff on those 70's albums, i agree

DEAN OF ROCK likes this.
  25. erikdavid5000

Agreed! Love CATP

I think it's just because it comes smack dab between Surf's Up and Holland

Folknik, Tristero and Siegmund like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.