Let's talk about The Beach Boys - Holland

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

They also played Lookin At Tomorrow in 75.

At the Knebworth show in 1980 they play Good Timin, Lady Lynda from LA, the title track from KTSA, Do It Again, Heroes & Villians, School Days .... Hardly ignoring their most recent two albums

2. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

If you read my last posts, of course Endless Summer affected their live shows. What do you think changed them from a small venue act to playing large stadiums from 1975-1980? As I said before, Endless Summer, Jim Guercio, the whole "Where Were You in '62" oldies phenomenon, along with the fans themselves, changed the Beach Boys live act.

On a another note, you know, we are not lying to you. Many of us have been fans for just about all of our lives. I saw many shows in the 1974-1980 years and they did in fact play their new material when each album was released and they did continue to play deeper cuts. They were cut down a bit during those years, but you can only play so many songs in a 90-120 minutes set list. I can tell you that every fan in those seats had a special song or two that they wanted to hear. Some deep, some new, but most wanted the hits. I cannot tell you at how many shows I attended, the attendees screaming titles out in between songs. For the life of me, I could not understand why Barbara Ann seemed to be the most requested song. ;)

I333I likes this.
  3. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Heh? That 4 songs total from their last 2 albums.

4. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

My original point was that Endless Summer did affect the set lists. Just because a few deep cuts were performed sparingly doesn't negate the fact that their shows thereafter concentrated on the hits. I get why they did it, but I think it took them out of the "serious" band role that came during Holland and CATP. Their entire trajectory changed after Endless Summer was released, no?

5. mikew

mikew Forum Resident

Thanks very much for posting.

6. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

I love Sail On Sailor, but the rest of the record hasn't quite clicked. Looks like it's time for another listen. :agree:

7. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

Nope. They also played Some of Your Love and Santa Ana Winds but they were omitted from the DVD.

Six songs from their previous two albums is perfectly normal for any group of their vintage.

8. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I think you're thinking about the July 4th 1980 show.

9. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Well, they're THE BEACH BOYS and they can blow a crowd away with a set full of nothing but massive hits! It's amazing they had the nerve to play even 1 new song. I mean exactly how many new songs do you personally need? ... It's like this with every band. I've seen AC/DC countless times and each new tour they play maybe 3 songs from the current album and maybe one from the previous album will stick around for the next tour, otherwise it's two hours of hits and famous songs

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  10. Turk Thrust

:laugh: You know, at some point it is probably best just to say, "Oh, I didn't know that". The Beach Boys played the six songs mentioned at both Knebworth and the July 4th show (as they did at many other shows that year).

Having just checked the setlists for 1977, for example, the band played between 9 and 13 deep cuts at every show that I looked at for that year (11 being the average). So that is again inaccurate.

Their studio trajectory did change which can be seen as partly down to Endless Summer but it is certainly much more complicated than that due to Carl's problems, Brian's issues, Dennis rarely writing for the group etc.

S. P. Honeybunch and Tristero like this.
  11. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Haha. You're right. I had a boot and the domestic cd, I thought that they were complete.

12. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Do we have any clue as to when the AP release is coming?

13. Turk Thrust

They had to omit quite a few songs for various reasons, including the fact that Brian was playing a different song on the piano for some of them!?!

You can hear why they decided to omit Santa Ana Winds here: :)

A nice song though.

And here is Some of Your Love. Ropey as hell!

The Beach Boys - Some Of Your Love / Good Timin': Live At Knebworth 1980 (Unreleased) »

The 1980s keyboards haven't aged well that's for sure.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  14. drbeachboy

Studio-wise, yes it changed. Live, no, You play what fans want to hear. They pay their money and they want the hits. Let me tell you, by 1975 the audience didn't want new stuff. They would talk while being played. They would yell oldies titles while the band would play newer material. The newer stuffed worked through 73 or so, but once the oldies craze hit in 74, that was it. Listen to home recordings on YouTube, you'll see what I'm talking about. I think if the audiences would have accepted the newer material, they would have played more of it. They fought it for awhile, but by 1976, they gave in and gave the folks what they wanted.

15. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I like Holland more than Sunflower and I think Sunflower is pretty dang good. But I like Surf's Up the most.

16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

No, six:

Good Timin'
    Lady Lynda

Keepin' The Summer Alive
    School Days
    Santa Ana Winds
    Some Of Your Love

Note: Goin' On was alternated w/Some Of Your Love during the 1980 shows

I always found it silly that the Knebworth DVD's sure title was Good Timin', yet was excluded from the release.

17. drbeachboy

They did all of those songs, except Santa Ana Winds at the Philadelphia Spectrum in 1980. The Keepin' The Summer Alive album was only weeks old.

18. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

That's saying something wow. !

19. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

I was at that show-great one!

20. drbeachboy

Crowd-wise, it was one of the best Beach Boys shows that I ever attended. The Spectrum was shaking that night. The crowd was really into the show. The place went absolutely bonkers at the end of Wouldn't It Be Nice.

rockerreds likes this.
  21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Hmm, I'm sure you're right in terms of the general trend, but your timeline is definitely off based on my personal experience. I saw them in January 1975 (after Endless Summer was released, but before 15 Big Ones), while they were still concentrating on new material and it was among the greatest shows I have ever seen. I saw them at the end of 1976 after 15 Big Ones, and while there was a definite shift to older material (if you include the 15 big ones covers), the concert was much longer, and they were still playing a vast majority of new material. Same basic format as January 1975, with oldies heavily concentrated during the end of the show, while the body of the show was newer material. While it wasn't the spectacular show that Honolulu was, the atmosphere was absolutely electric throughout.

To put it in context, Holland was very highly regarded upon release, being listed as one of Rolling Stone's five best albums of 1974, a trememdous honor from the "serious" rock press. The Beach Boys themselves were named "band of the year" by Rolling Stone in 1974. Holland is a magnificent achievement in my view. Carl was at the absolute top of his game, and "Big Sur" is Mike's greatest achievement - a heartfelt ode to a beautiful place, highlighted by his most natural unaffected vocal performance. The 4/4 version is more "Beach Boys", but the 3/4 acoustic version on Holland is absolutely beautiful.

When I saw the Beach Boys in January 1975 at the age of 14 in Honolulu, although Endless Summer had been released, they were definitely not an "oldies" band. They played about 60-70% recent material, with the oldies highlighting the end of the show. I wish I had a tracklist, but I remember "I Can Hear Music", "Marcella", "Sail On Sailor", "Heroes and Villains", "California", "Feel Flows", "All This is That" and a number of other more recent tracks being very well received.

I saw them again less than two years later, on a high school trip to New York during Thanksgiving holidays in 1976. By this time, they were the hottest live band on the planet (deservedly, as they really were great), and they had sold out three nights at MSG (put that in context - Rihanna can't sell out two nights in New York in 2016). The setlist was still heavily weighted towards newer material, although I didn't enjoy it as much because frankly, I didn't like 15 Big Ones and Love You as much as Surf's Up/Carl & the Passions/Holland (although Love You was certainly palatable). But I don't remember anyone shouting for oldies, talking during the numbers, walking out during the newer numbers, etc. By the way, at the time, I would have defined "oldies" as pre-Pet Sounds (i.e., "Endless Summer" material) - as you can see from the setlist, its just 11 tracks out of 31 songs played, so 20 tracks were from Pet Sounds and later!

The heavy oldies setlists, must have come later, when their newer albums were extremely weak. The setlist from that Thanksgiving show is on the internet, and it looks as good as I remember.
    1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
    2. Darlin'
    3. Sloop John B
    4. Little Deuce Coupe
    5. In My Room
    6. Sail On, Sailor
    7. California Saga: California
    8. God Only Knows
    9. Airplane
    10. Back Home
    11. Catch a Wave
    12. Susie Cincinnati
    13. Wild Honey
    14. It's OK
    15. A Casual Look
    16. Love Is a Woman
    17. Feel Flows
    18. Everyone's in Love With You
    19. All This Is That
    20. Surfer Girl
    21. Heroes and Villains
    22. Be True to Your School
    23. Help Me, Rhonda
    24. I Get Around
    25. California Girls
    26. Good Vibrations
    27. Surfin' U.S.A.
    Encore:
    1. You Are So Beautiful
    2. Barbara Ann
    3. Rock and Roll Music
    4. Fun, Fun, Fun

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    somnar and Turk Thrust like this.
  22. Not my favorite album ever by anyone period, but I understand where you're coming from. It's a fantastic and unique album.

23. drbeachboy

As I said, they played new material in the years that they released new albums. Now, I missed them 1975, because I was living in the Phoenix, AZ area and there no shows around there that year. I did see see them in 1974, it was outside and was mostly an oldies set. They did do Sail On Sailor and California from Holland, but I don't remember anything else new that day. Those fans were screaming titles all afternoon. That was almost 42 years ago, so I may not be remembering some things from the show.

24. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I took my favourite songs from Sunflower, Surf's Up, Holland, and Carl & The Passions, and turned them into a vinyl style double album...it's a classic now!

25. TOKENHIPPIE

TOKENHIPPIE New Member

MY YOUNGER SISTER MAY BE THE ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD TO HAVE CARL AND THE PASSIONS SO TOUGH AS HER FAVE LP. SHE GOT INTO THE BB IN '70. I'VE LIKED THEM SINCE '65, BUT MY SIS SAW THEM IN '74 BEFORE I DID. I USED TO EAT, DRINK AND SLEEP THE BB. I WAS LIKE AN OBSESSED FAN. I PLAYED THE HOLLAND ALBUM RECENTLY , BUT I STRUGGLED IN RECOGNISING 3 SONGS LEAVING THIS TOWN, ONLY WITH YOU, AND FUNKY PRETTY. IT TOOK ME A SPLIT SECOND BEFORE HEARING THE TITLE LEAVING THIS TOWN BEFORE I GOT IT. AND THE OTHER TWO LESS THAN 10 SECONDS TO FIGURE IT OUT.. IT'S A BIT EMBARRASSING. I ACTUALLY KNOW THE MIU AND LA MORE THAN HOLLAND AND THAT'S NOT SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF. I ALSO OWNED WE GOT LOVE ON THE HOLLAND ALBUM BACK IN THE MID 80'S ON THE GERMAN LP ORIGINALLY RELEASED IN '73 . ONLY A FEW WERE ISSUED WITH WE GOT LOVE BEFORE THEY SWITCHED IT TO SAIL ON SAILOR. THE GERMAN ALBUM STILL HAD SAIL ON SAILOR ON THE BACK COVER, SO YOU HAD TO EXAMINE THE GROOVES ON THE LP. IT WAS THE LAST CUT ON SIDE ONE. BECAUSE OF THE LENGTH OF THE SONG YOU COULD TELL BY THE WIDTH OF THE TRACK. AND I NO LONGER HATE STEAMBOAT I'M LEARNING TO APPRECIATE IT MORE AND MORE. BUT MY FAVOURITE TIME PERIOD IS STILL '63-'66.

Al Smith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.