Let's talk about The Grateful Dead (studio, live, and side projects)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Santo10, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I love the studio session for "Whiskey In The Jar" and how it jarred some old memories from Bob & Phil.

2. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

The entire Disc 5 is fantastic, including that 1993 rehearsal. There were some great songs in that final period that would have made a beautiful studio record.

3. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I think there are too many things on this set that are of interest only for already committed fans (much of what's on the the first disk and the last, for example). It also fails to really survey the field and tell the whole story evenly and clearly so you can really hear the development of the live sound as it evolves over time. On the other hand, for a fan, there are some important and strikingly beautiful things on the set: the early and the stray later material fill in important gaps in the up-till-then available recorded record, the middle disks are beautifully programmed, and the whole thing is worth it for things the "Port Chester Beautiful Jam," the "Watkins Glen Soundcheck Jam," and that spontaneous double run-through of "Whiskey in the Jar."

L.

4. ceddy10165

Louis, you make excellent points about the boxes shortcomings. it's an almost impossible herculean task to even think about distilling the Dead down to 5 discs, i guess i'm impressed with how much they got right. i never thought the set was intended as a primer for new fans, and was geared towards the faithful.

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I bought So Many Roads on New Year's Eve 1999 and remember rushing home so I can hear it all before midnight, just in case the power went out when we hit Y2k. :D

I love everything about this set.

Yes yes yes... I know most of this stuff is available these days out there in internetland, but back then, I didn't have most of these recordings, and the ones I did have were not in very good sound quality. And while I like full shows as much as the next deadhead, I welcome a highlights-based approach when the quality of the music is as high caliber as what's represented here.

The sequence of Eyes of the World-The Wheel-Stella Blue is stunning. A span of almost four years, yet it sounds like it could have all been from the same show.

Some things I remember reading back when this first came out:

A 1977 "Passenger" was originally slated to be on this set but dropped at the last minute due to space considerations. Not a great loss....

David Gans (I think it was him) really pushed for the 6/9/77 Help-Slip-Franklin's to be included but it didn't make the cut

The magnificant Scarlet>Fire from 10/14/94 was under serious consideration but dropped in favor of 3/22/90 due to space considerations. Actually, I can't confirm if I really read that, or if it was just wishful thinking on my part....

Back when this came out, Relix (or one of those like-minded magazines) printed a scathing "review" by a guy who admitted he hadn't even heard the set but ripped it up and down because it didn't include this version or that version or blah blah blah... I'm sure we can all sit back and compile our own wishlist of what should or shouldn't have been included, but at the end of the day, when I listen to what's there (instead of worrying about what's not there), I think the compilers - David Gans, Steve Silberman, and Blair Jackson - did a fantastic job.

6. TimJo

TimJo New Member

Agreed. I used to have that 'Beautiful Jam' on cassette and was so happy to get a properly mastered version. Days Between is also a jewel since it is the best we'll ever get. I remember Gans put together a composite recording from a couple of shows (also on cassette from back in the day) which was the best version of Days prior to this box, but again I was happy to have a well recorded version on CD at last.

7. MikeP5877

Yep, a composite from 3/28/94 and 4/4/94

Grateful Dead Hour no. 367

Do not broadcast before October 2, 1995
    Part 1 27:49
    :00 :31 Introduction
    :31 13:29 Grateful Dead 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden, NYC
    TERRAPIN
    14:00 :28 Talk
    14:28 1:39 Jerry Garcia remembered
    SNL/ESSEX HOUSE
    16:07 4:23 Jerry Garcia, Garcia
    BIRD SONG
    20:30 4:22 Jerry Garcia remembered/KPFK 8/14/95
    Bob Young: two stories
    24:52 2:42 Barry Smolin: "Drums and Space"
    27:34 :15 ID
    Part 2 25:34
    28:19 :03 Introduction
    28:22 14:02 Grateful Dead 10/14/94 Madison Square Garden, NYC
    LAZY RIVER ROAD
    42:24 4:23 Jerry Garcia remembered
    BRUCE S. on KPFA 8/9/95
    46:47 6:18 Grateful Dead 3/28/94 and 4/4/94
    DAYS BETWEEN
    53:05 :48 Outro

8. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I agree that as a box for fans it's a big treat (it certainly was for me, and still is)!

I was mostly reacting to brew ziggins' comment about how the set might work as a primer. It only falls short on that count and on the question of whether it really gives a full enough sense of the actual development of the band's live sound in its various incarnations. It might have been able to do that, if it had foregone the rare early and late stuff, but then it would have been less of a treat for fans.

Bottom line, of course, is that no major band has come close to the Dead in terms of giving fans access to the full recorded legacy. This is one of the interesting eddies in that full, big river.

L.

9. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

So Many Roads is one of my favorite box sets ever. But I say this as someone who never collected unoffficial Dead recordings with the same passion as I did/do for Dylan. So, to me, every track is a treasure, particularly Disc 5. I gave up on the Dead back in 1991, just when things were getting really unpleasant at shows. I lived through some nasty clashes between Deadheads and the Pittsburgh Police in 1989, as well as the stadium show the following year (I hate stadium shows), in which it seemed like this was how it was going to be for the forseeable future (and I was pretty much right, BTW).

So imagine my surprise at hearing "Liberty" or "So Many Roads" or "Days Between." I'd never heard a single one of these tracks before the box set--wow! Plus, we get all of those little snippets of jams (the ones Louis mentioned) sprinkled thoughout the set.

I know this makes me a horrible Dead listener, but I've never even owned a tape or CDr of the 8/27/72 show in Veneta, OR. And the version of "Bird Song" from So Many Roads reminds me that I'm an idiot for not being more of a completist!

So I love this set. Even though I don't deserve it. :)

10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I love the complete 10/19/74 Eyes Of The World from So Many Roads.That should be rereleased for people who only heard the edited version on the grateful dead movie soundtrack.I have never heard the Oregon`72 show either somehow.:wtf:

11. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Self-correction: the song on So Many Roads from 8/27/72 is "Sing Me Back Home." Which is gorgeous--just one of many highlights for me.

12. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Rediscovering my fave LP's atm. first FROM THE MARS HOTEL (MFSL) and yesterday Wake Of The Flood. They never released any albums with songs so good and the music -oh boy - touching, perfect and warm. Love those albums ..nuff said

13. ceddy10165

Springtime is always my big Grateful Dead time of the year -- always feels like it should be time to start seeing some spring tour shows.

14. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I love the Grateful Dead year round, but I'd say that Summer and Fall are may favorite Grateful Dead seasons. I guess that's when I saw the majority of shows and where my Dead memories are best...

15. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Same here--school always got in the way of anything other than summer tours. Which is why I always associate The Dead with dehydration. :)

16. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Yep, I'd usually see something in spring and then some summer shows. My best year was 1990; I saw spring, summer, MSG Fall tour and the 12/27,28 & 30th shows in California, and listened to New Years on the radio.

17. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Funny! Last night--before I read your correction--I was listening around in the set, inspired by all the enthusiasm I've been reading about here, and the track that just had me entranced was that one (and it's not one that had ever caught my attention much before). What a stunning version of the tune! Add that to the "worth it for that alone list!!"

L.

18. ceddy10165

Sing Me Back Home is a stunner and a version of the song that HAD to be on the box. I'd include the 10/19/74 version of Eyes Of The World in that category too. There are many highlight versions of Eyes (6/18/74 is my go to choice), but the one on the box is definitive.

I'd have to go back to my notes from my trading days, but what songs/versions do you all think should have been included on the box that weren't -- Maybe an extra bonus disc?

Dark Star 9/19/70 Fillmore East; New York, NY., Werewolves Of London 7/8/78 Red Rocks, If I Had The World To Give 10/17/78 Winterland Arena, and Comes a Time 9/5/77 War Memorial Auditorium Buffalo, NY were 4 songs off the top of my head that I used to include on compilations. I'm also a big fan of Pigpen's Two Souls In Communion and would have love to have that song included -- no particular version comes to mind though.

19. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I'd love to see that whole show released. The one disc set that circulates is mind-blowing (Darkness Jam!) and has spectacular sound.

The Carousel show with Janis joining Pig on "Lovelight" would make a nice hidden track or bonus. Or a "Guest Appearances" collection, with cameos by The Beach Boys, Duane Allman, Greg Allman, Peter Green, Steve Winwood, Steve Stills, Pete Townsend, Carlos Santana, Neal Cassady, Ken Nordine and others.

20. ceddy10165

sorry -- i meant 5/9/77.

21. MikeP5877

Some off the top of my head:

Alligator - 1/22/68
    Mason's Children - 12/28/69
    Not Fade Away - 9/19/70
    Dancing In the Streets - 12/31/71
    Bird Song - 8/24/72
    jam>Jackaroe - 11/20/78
    Scarlet Begonias>Fire On the Mountain - 10/14/94

22. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

A few tasty 'standalone' nuggets:

Uncle John's Band - 11/16/70 with a sweet harmonica intro by Will Scarlett and a tasty Jerry solo
    St. Stephen - 10/15/77 - IMO the greatest Garica solo ever
    Shakedown Street - 4/17/82 with all due respect to 6/30/85,12/31/84 and 4/6/82
    It's All Over Now Baby Blue - also from 4/17/82
    Here Comes Sunshine>Jam>Bobby McGee - 4/2/73
    Playing in the Band - 11/18/72
    Dancing in the Streets - 5/6/70

23. windfall

windfall Senior Member

In case any of you Deadheads are iphone users, there's a new app out there which gives you access to streaming audio of all the shows on the current tour, and more.

Here is some info and a link. More info also at the itunes apps store.

http://www.mosaiclegends.com/support.html

TOUR APPS

Each Tour App's mosaic functions the same way as the eBook Cover. Here are the other special features:

LIVE SHOWS

All Access - An internet connection is required to access LIVE SHOWS. These are the tour dates and streaming music from each concert -which should be updated with 24 hours of the show. Choose a show to see that concerts set list and access the Music Player. You can choose to play one song at a time, play all songs, or shuffle songs.

The FREE Version provides the first 30 seconds of each song as a preview.

ON THE BUS

All Access - With our photographer and videographer on the road and armed with Twitter, you'll have All Access to the tour. Get the inside scoop on each concert including set lists and backstage commentary as well as "things that are happening on the road" all in real time. You'll see the latest concert photos, videos, practice and rehearsal sessions as well as blogs from the band.

Free Version - Twitter feed and limited access to additional content.

STORE

The Tour Store focuses on the official online stores for the artist/band as well as provides direct links to the artist/bands albums on the WiFi Music Store.

THE DEAD TOUR 2009 APP

All Access - Special Note - The App provides each show's streaming audio through the end of 2009. During an update, users will be prompted to provide their email address and one two-hour MP3 from The Dead 2009 Tour will be emailed to you for download.

Free Version - MP3 not included.

24. ceddy10165

is my search correct that this forum has never done a grateful dead album by album thread? i'm surprised...

25. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

So, what are you waiting for?

L.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.