Let's talk about The Grateful Dead (studio, live, and side projects)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Santo10, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Guys, does anyone know about the in-print status of the Dick's Picks series? It appears (via Amazon) that some of the Picks are still in print, and some are not. And some seem to be available via Dead.net, and some don't. Any idea whether Rhino plans to keep these in print?

2. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Good question. I've been waiting for DP 33 to come back in stock for almost a year! Or at least it feels like a year. I'll probably just break down and get the FLAC.

3. Edgard Varese

I've just done an unofficial inventory over at dead.net (too much time on my hands this evening, I guess... :laugh: )... the only ones that don't give you the option of purchasing the cd at this point are 29, 33, and 36. So it's still looking ok for those of us who have gotten on the bus more recently (I picked up 36 by some great stroke of luck from our local used cd shop).

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I check local shops to see if some of those hard-to-find (DP 33) discs ever show up but no dice. I'm not surprised, as I can't imagine why anyone would want to part with their DP33....

My prediction is that day after you purchase a FLAC download of DP 33, they'll "find" a case of CD's stashed away in a warehouse somewhere.... happens every time.

5. Edgard Varese

I'm kind of annoyed with myself because, when I ordered the latest Road Trips a few weeks ago, I put DP35 into my cart, and then removed it (I was being budget-conscious). Now it's no longer available. :mad:

6. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Happy 9/21/72 everyone! I have been listening to this (DP36) all morning. Such an incredible, incredible show. Disc 2 is by far my favorite. The PIB on there is by far my favorite of all time. And the Bird Song in the second song of the night slot is gorgeous! The China Cat > Rider is definitive. Everything about this show is incredible. Just incredible!
    :righton:

7. regal

regal Member

Yea DP#36 has such a good mix and SQ, its in my top 5 favorite DP's. What sets it apart to me is that no other 72 SBD sounds as good, I think the recordist got the mix just right that night. It sounds better than the Europe multitracks IMO.

8. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

I was actually noticing that just this morning. There is something about the sound on here that is just darn nice. Everyone sounds nice and full, and Jerry has a nice drippy tone. It's clear and crisp but with an overall warmth. Keith sounds fantastic as well, especially his work on Bird Song!

9. protay5

protay5 Member

I was just thinking about how fond I've gotten for Keith, at least early in his tenure. The perfect addition as the Dead were heading into purer tones. His lines on PItB are memorable, here & on Ace.

Meanwhile, I just picked up a copy of Infrared Roses, and really enjoy it. It fills in a gap in the kind of music I've been listening to.

10. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Attached Files:

11. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Hey, that guy in the middle photo is missing a finger! Moray eel?

12. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

:edthumbs: Today only

Free shipping when you type in "FRIENDS" for the promo code on the Dead website.

http://www.dead.net/

13. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.