Let’s talk Nirvana U.K.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RedRoseSpeedway, Apr 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover Thread Starter

Does anybody know why Patrick recorded a new version of “Melanie Blue” in 2017?

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Next time I’ll pass “?
    Looks like your still contributing. :D

3. RedRoseSpeedway

Apparently Nirvana went on a European tour in 1970. Here’s Patrick saying a little something about it:

“Nirvana set of an a European tour taking in Holland, Denmark, Hungary, France, and Belgium, backed by local rhythm sections, along with strings and brass from the local city radio orchestras.”

Is it really possible that no one took a photo at any of the stops on this tour? I’ve never seen any and that’s disappointing. What’s even more disappointing is that I’m certain there is no recordings of it, because I bet it was incredible. What a shame this band was not documented better :(

beccabear67 likes this.
  4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I've never even heard the Song Of Love And Praise album but have all the others, including Orange And Blue which is definitely worth having. Interesting that there is still more I didn't know of, definitely ten on the unique-o-meter, loads of talent! I rate Simon Simopath a little above Ogden's Nut Gone Flake and even S.F. Sorrow for best '60s concept album, heresy to many probably though that is.

There was also a '60s The Knack before the much later The Knack of My Sharona infamy, plus a Cryan' Shames and a 'Cryin' Shames... so it pays to pay attention as a music fan.

RedRoseSpeedway likes this.
  5. RedRoseSpeedway

Ogden’s is a great album! Just heard it for the first time a few weeks ago

Boognish and beccabear67 like this.
  6. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

If you like Simon Simopath you should like this excellent album from 1968.
    It's up there with the best.

7. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

What are you on about now ?

8. RedRoseSpeedway

Thank you! I love this album. I have the parlaphone mono reissue on splattered vinyl

Rainbow Ffolly - Sallies Fforth

9. RedRoseSpeedway

Actually if you like Nirvana and Rainbow Ffolly, I think you’d like a band called “The Neon Philharmonic” who had two albums in the baroque pop genre. Check out this video of the first two songs on their first (and best!) album “The Moth Confesses” from 1969

Neon Philharmonic Brilliant Colours/Cowboy

10. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendation.
    Had a listen but find them a bit strange for my taste.

11. Mezzer

Mezzer Forum Resident

Sounds far too twee and middle of the road for me!

12. Mezzer

Mezzer Forum Resident

The 1st two albums by Duncan Browne are the closest I know to the baroque pop/rock og of Nirvana. A track from the first here:

13. RedRoseSpeedway

That was a good track! I’ll check out more. Thank you!

14. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The phrase 'winky-wanky' appears in one of their songs. I sort of love them for that alone.

15. RedRoseSpeedway

That’s such an odd phrase but it is funny!

16. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Not to be forgotten - Syd Dale, the arranger on Nirvana's two Island albums -
    "His arrangement ideas are the reason why our songs still sound so good today" - Patrick Campbell-Lyons
    Syd Dale - Wikipedia
    Syd Dale Mini Biography

17. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

RE: Rainbow Ffolly Sallies Fforth - I was never able to get into that album. All was ok until I dropped $$ on the record store day reissue hoping for a re evaluation only to be met with some seriously irritating tracks that unfortunately make up the bulk that LP. I feel you could throw a dart blindfolded and hit a better pop psych album than that one etc etc :)

I wasn't aware that is Lesley on that great track, thank you for the info.

I just listened to this for the very first time via a friend's Vertigo Lp. Actually, I played it 3 times in a row to make sure I wasn't hearing things :D What in the heck is up with the crying-through-a-harmonica at the very beginning of the album? Anyway, that's probably my favorite overall moment although the "Home Re-construction" section almost reminds me of Nirvana's early mat'l.

Great sounding though, every Vertigo LP I've heard pretty much is, and Jimmy Campbell's Half Baked LP, which I'm playing now, is no exception :)

Great post! Thanks for sharing "Two Of A Kind". I'd never heard it and I think it's wonderful.

18. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Hm!;)

19. RedRoseSpeedway

What’s the hm for? :p

20. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Major Lance had the " Um " (×6) first!!!!!!!!!

21. John54

John54 Senior Member

The only one I have, which I pulled out of a delete bin (for reasons unknown apart from curiosity) after seeing copies in them for years, is Simon Simopath. I do remember Pentecost Hotel but not much else.

22. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Just finished listening to all of these albums except for Local Anesthetic (waiting for my CD to arrive). On first blush, Markos III (aka Black Flower) is the standout for me. It is unfortunate this wasn't officially released back in the day as I think it could have found a wider audience. Really outstanding baroque pop!

carlwm likes this.
  23. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

BTW, can anyone tell me what the thing on the front cover is? Bones of a dinosaur foot?

[​IMG]

24. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

25. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Get ready for a bit of a shock with LA - very unlike the baroque pop they are known for. More prog rock.

HeavensAbove likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.