Lets talk Rega Planet 2000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, Sep 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

I'm thinking of bringing in a new cd player...the Rega Planet 2000...and I'd like to hear the thoughts of forum members who have experience with this unit.

Smooth, analog sounding piece of heaven or murky, mechanical, irritating garbage?

How does it compare with original Planet?

Your impressions would be appreciated.

-adam

2. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

hey audio, been LOVING my planet 2000 since i got it! analog is the word from my experience. murky no way, and garbage, far from it. im no audio snob, but for just under a grand (what i paid for it) its a bargain imo. its done me proud on everything ive thrown at it. and with my stax headphones (which are revealing to no end) its a marvel. awhile ago i was contemplating going for an eastern electric minimax which is in the same price range, but is a tube player. i beat the crap out of myself pondering the move and in the end couldnt do it. maybe when money isnt so tight i will get the minimax, but believe me, ill keep the rega and dump my nad C541i first. the rega has just hit me in the heart somewhere. i have listened to a lot of high end cd players at headphone meets and believe me, these guys are geeks, and for the money, well, you cant go wrong with the rega. im sure the naysayers will chime in, but count me in the GO FOR IT! camp.

3. audio

Ever compare it with the Jolida JD-100A?

4. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

good question, i know i listened to a few jolidas in my travels but not sure which models. sorry cant answer that one. people have good things to say about jolida at headfi, but im thinking that they are a bit more expensive than the regas.

5. kdbrink

kdbrink Forum Resident

I have had a Jolida for a couple of months...it was $900. I've never heard the Rega (I live in an audio deprived area, so had to rely on reviews and others comments), but I'm very happy with it. It has a nice "analog" sound.
    Aside from the wonderful sound, I really like the way it reads the TOC almost instantly. For me, the Jolida is a keeper.

6. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Audio,

I've reviewed all of the Planet CD playerss (I think) in my AudioEnz hi-fi magazine.

There were two versions of the Planet 2000. The current one sounds better than the original. There were either power supply and other assorted changes made, or no changes made at all, depending on who you ask at Rega!

The later model is reviewed here, while the original Planet 2000 is reviewed here.

7. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Of all the CD players I've heard, Adam, the various incarnations of the Planet are the only CD players under $1000 that will remind you of good analog. I think you'll like it.

8. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I would love to own one, but I just can't get past the funky top loading system....

9. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

actually the top loading part is one of the nice things about the player, much less chance of scratching your cds than some of the other cdps i have owned.

10. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I have never had a problem with scratching a CD in a home player....has this been a problem for anyone else?

The car...that's another story....

11. audio

Have you heard the Jolida?

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Adam,

I don't wanna derail your thread here, but if you're considering a CD only unit in this price range, please look at the Meridian 508.24. I'm not exactly sure how much they always go for, but here's one on ebay.

I have had this player in my home for several weeks. I was hooked on this think like a junkie. It was the first player to make me realize that high-end digital was something that could actually make CDs fun to listen to. Just an amazing amount of midrange detail and balance. Meridian has been doing high-end CDPs for about 20 years. Since they make $15K+ CD-only models (and sell quite a bit of them) I figure they must have figured out how to do 'something' right :D

Anyways, just something to keep your eyes open for if you come across in your audio-adventures.

EDIT: well, went I posted the link for the auction, the player was only at $800. Apparently these go for a bit more.

13. audio

Funny you mention it, Sam, because I was actually curious about the Meridian. Unfortunately, I'm not in the market to spend that kind of money on something for myself. I'm looking for a cd player I can sell to my customers and also run as a demo and stand to listen to. As my system gets more and more hi-rez, I become less and less satisfied with inexpensive digital and then it becomes hard for me to sell a product that I can't get behind.

However, perhaps the Meridian would blow my mind? Call me....lets talk about it.

14. vinyl anachronist

A friend of mine owns the Meridian, and I've heard it many times:

http://www.furious.com/perfect/vinyl15.html

It's very nice, but I think I might prefer the Naims more. The Meridian is very accurate and neutral, though, and hard to fault on any level. If you can find a used one for less than $1500, that's a deal, although I would be a little reluctant to buy a used CDP because of their finite lifespans.

Have you checked out the Ah! Tjoeb players? Or the Rotel RCD-1072? They'll get you at least 90% of the way to the Meridian for less than a grand.

15. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

in my opinion, the meridian blows the ah! out of the water. but like has already been said, the meridian is just too expensive taking into account that the rega can be had for somewhere less than a grand. but if you have the $$$, the meridian will top the rega, not for my pocketbook, but ymmv.

16. vinyl anachronist

The Meridian definitely blows the Ah! and the Rotel and the Rega out of the water. It should, considering that it's more than four times the cost of the others!

The Meridian, however, isn't as good as a Naim CD5x, in my opinion.

17. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

have seen naim players but to be honest i couldnt with any conscience give an opinion since ive never heard one. could be the way to go.

18. audio

I'd love to have the Meridian. However, I can't justify putting over $600-700 into digital. I just need something tolerable. It doesn't have to be the last word in resolution. It's just got to be non-fatiguing...which is a tall order for cd, I know. How would you describe the Meridian's presentation?

19. vinyl anachronist

Sounds more American than British. Big, ballsy sound, perfect soundstaging and imaging, goes deep in the midrange, high in the treble. Probably measures like a dream.

In other words, it's an objectivist's dream. You and I, however, aren't objectivists!

20. vinyl anachronist

I've owned a Naim CD3 since 1996, and I still haven't heard anything that would compel me to replace it. I'm going to use it until it dies, and then replace it with a CD5x.

21. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

The Meridian wouldn't be as good in the areas where Naim have always been good - bringing out the pace and rhythm of music. However I'd argue that in most or all oother areas the Meridian would be a better player.

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

As others have mentioned, Meridian CDPs can hold their own on virtually every level. Unfortunately, they always come with a high price tag :sigh:

On Wednesday, my Philips DVD-963SA will arrive. Others report it is a true giant-killer on redbook, courtesy of its 24/192 upsampling. I will spare it no courtesies, and put it up head-to-head with my Audiocom Sony SCD-1. I will let you guys know the good, bad and ugly :D

23. audio

Sounds like I wouldn't like it. I prefer something a little romantic with gorgeous midrange and smooth-as-satin highs....if there is such a thing.

24. vinyl anachronist

Yeah. It's called vinyl. ;)

25. vinyl anachronist

You're probably right. My experience with the Meridian, however, is with a system that consists of an Audio Note Ongaku and Avantgarde Trios. While I thought the Meridian sounded really nice, I attributed that mostly to the amp and the speakers. I may be wrong in not giving the Meridian enough credit.

However, I have been disappointed by Meridian in the past:

http://www.furious.com/perfect/vinyl28.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.