Lewisohn - Beatles - New Tape! - Abbey Road - 'Rewrites everything we knew about the Beatles'*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 3coloursbeige, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Sadly, the multitrack tapes of this meeting are missing.

2. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

A Double A side stand alone 45, an album of twelve songs - and a few lesser songs tossed off to Apple acts :D
    I'm glad they broke up when they did though. Talking in absolutes as Lennon proposes during the meeting, including the dissolution of the Lennon/McCartney songwriting credit, was like a divorcing couple half heartedly trying to come up with compromises to keep the marriage together. We got POB, All Things Must Pass, Ram and It Don't Come Easy as consolation prizes.

3. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I thought it was Klein that pushed for that single? Wasn't it the first "Single from the album" as opposed to being ahead of the host album, which is why it only got to number four?

seacliffe301 likes this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

How many Beatles albums have more than one Ringo song on them? The answer is none. None Beatles albums.
    This two-for-Ringo gesture is a bone thrown his way.
    If he actually did come up with two , then George would have had to fall on his sword to make the room.

Paulwalrus and MikeVielhaber like this.
  5. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Saw this on Yahoo News this morning. Completely lacking in credibility. By this I mean it's just studio chatter and John and Paul trying to be civil to each other and exchanging a few niceties. Like talking with an old friend about getting together at some point in the future though both know it will never be arranged. As an ad for the upcoming Super Deluxe Abbey Road I suppose it does it's job. But I must say this takes credibility away from Lewisohn in my estimation.

6. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Both sides got a lot of airplay here.

7. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Oh yeah it wasn't shabby by anyone else's standards. Just, probably sold the album more.

Chuckee likes this.
  8. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

This would be part 3, though!

9. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Agreed, the hoarding of this tape while talking about it is infantile.

Paulwalrus and DTK like this.
  10. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Yellow Sub came out the same day as Revolver.

11. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

For goodness sake, Paul and George must have gotten serious whiplash from John's pronouncements.

BellaLuna, BeatlesBop, 51IS and 2 others like this.
  12. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

But it's not studio chatter, it's a band meeting. And they recorded it for Ringo in his absence so they clearly felt that what they were discussing was of some importance.

13. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Let's be honest here.

George Harrison was a 2-songs-a-year artist. One really strong song, one blah song. The Lennon/McCartney/Martin embargo on George songs led to a temporary glut. And that temporary glut led to Abbey Road (2 good songs) and All Things Must Pass (6 good songs) and from that point forward, when that glut was expired and the cupboard was bare, George was good for a single or two a year for the rest of his career and that was it.

So, there's nothing demonstrating bad judgement or anything perceived as nasty-Paul in this "meeting tape".

14. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Revolver had 3 Harrison songs

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

While I think ATMP has more than 6 good songs, that's true.

16. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Considering that this tape was made for Ringo - did John (or Apple) ever get it to him?
    And if so, was it found in his archives? Two years ago Ringo had a massive auction of various goods, was this tape found there?

I don't expect Lewisohn would have the money to bid, who gave him a copy of the tape?

Or, if John never sent this out - was this filched from his archives?

Lost In The Flood and Paulwalrus like this.
  17. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

You have to "leak" this stuff out carefully over the years to keep the crazies buying..........

DTK and Wildest cat from montana like this.
  18. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Yes, and that was the last time they worked together musically for almost 10 years.

19. schnitzerphilip

Certainly. And then he had 1 on Pepper. So there's your average of 2 decent Harrison songs per album.

I am not anti-George. I enjoy his Beatles and solo output as much as I enjoy John's. But the band was correct from their inception to their breakup on how to handle George's songs. Less is more.

20. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Prey tell, what were those 6 good songs in your opinion on All Things Must Pass?

21. schnitzerphilip

My Sweet Lord
    Isn't It A Pity
    What Is Life
    Wah Wah
    Frankie Crisp
    All Things Must Pass

Those are the 6. In order.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  22. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

No "Art of Dying" or "Awaiting On You All"? Lame...

23. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

What's your favourite six off Ram :laugh:

24. schnitzerphilip

Clearly, this is subjective. I like "Hear Me Lord" and "I'd Have You Any Time" before those two clunkers.

25. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

No "Beware Of Darkness"? Wow, just wow. I also probably wouldn't pick most of your six at all, but that's art.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.