Lewisohn - Beatles - New Tape! - Abbey Road - 'Rewrites everything we knew about the Beatles'*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 3coloursbeige, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

"My Love is a haunting ballad that is timeless, feels just as fresh and relevant today as the day it was released."

that is kind of funny, not sure it was intended to be? it is an ok song. i was 10-11 when it was released, didn't really like it then, my parents probably did? i like it better at 57 i would say... liked George's early 1970 stuff best when i was a kid.

2. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I don't know how "My Love" is 'haunting' but it is a damn good song.

Paulwalrus, 51IS, angelees and 3 others like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Source tape ? brand of RTR tape...EMI no doubt. :)

4. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

If while in high school you were rocking out to "Got My Mind Set On You" and "Elizabeth Reigns" you've got bigger problems than the cool kids table you weren't allowed to sit at.

5. schnitzerphilip

I don't like anything Paul released since 1995 so you've got the wrong guy.

When George stopped being a relevant recording artist in 1974 Paul was just starting his accention to the throne of world's top solo performer. And it was all those hits he created between 1974 and 1995 that made him what he is. George's songwriting was so bad its no wonder he stopped trying.

paustin0816 likes this.
  6. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

He is selling his tour. Nothing new.

foxylady, Peachy and MPLRecords like this.
  7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I was listening to Slayer in high school.

8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

It's pretty average, all those "Woh woh wohs ..." are rather grating. Nice guitar solo though.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Taxman and bryduck like this.
  9. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

I'm sorry but I don't believe Paul had a legitimate hit single since No More Lonely Nights (if we go by the 1974-1995 timeline).

Horse Brunsby and JFSebastion like this.
  10. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

You're free to feel that way.

Paulwalrus and angelees like this.
  11. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

wow... you don't like flaming pie?

Paulwalrus and MPLRecords like this.
  12. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

I was listening to BOTH Slayer and George Harrison in High School, and yes I rocked out to Got My Mind Set On You.

13. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Let It Be album 1970

14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Certainly if you include the Travelling Wilburys, Harrison had quite a run from 1988-1991.

15. emkay

emkay Senior Member

That WAS a hit, but having lived thru that period... "Spies Like Us" was the last real McCartney hit single. Certainly not as big. Crappy song, but it legit made the top 10 and was played heavily by Top 40 stations. He disappeared after that. I'd say that "Spies Like Us" undermined his credibility and "Press" did nothing to restore it.

It struck me as odd during that era that all future McCartney singles were essentially a no-go for radio but Harrison's "Got My Mind Set On You" cover was a HUGE hit. To me, at first blush it was a giant nothing and a tone deaf misstep on par with "I Really Love You" from Gone Troppo. Same kind of thing - a corny sounding oldies cover. I did NOT see that coming at all. Glad it did though.

A side note - I remember the "I Really Love You" single competing against another new single in a "Smash or Trash" segment on some station around Carlisle, PA when it was released and the callers just DESTROYING it in favor the other track (might have been Brian Adams?). My guess was that "Got My Mind..." would be received the same way. I definitely had an "Oh no" kinda vibe about it.

16. MichaelPapelian

MichaelPapelian Forum Resident

This tape confirms that these guys needed a break from each other. If only they had said something along these lines? Let's see each other in 9 months after we've done our solo albums and got our relationships and management in order. That said, I've always felt that if John had remained in England not only would he have lived a longer life; sooner or later The Beatles would have reunited in someway. They were brothers.

17. TMegginson

TMegginson Forum Resident

On that album, only "I Me Mine" was recorded after Abbey Road. Ringo, George, and Paul were all on it, without John, but it's one song.

Ringo and George were the ones who kept collaborating the most, immediately after the breakup. George helped Ringo quite a bit, with hits like "It Don't Come Easy," "Photograph," etc., and Ringo contributed to All Things Must Pass, the Concert For Bangladesh, and Living In The Material World. Those two essentially continued their musical partnership, off and on, in the immediate aftermath of The Beatles.

Ringo also played on John's Plastic Ono Band, and George on Imagine, so there was still some sense of musical partnership with John as well, but probably more strained.

In those first few years, Paul was obviously the odd man out. George and Paul eventually played together on Ringo in 1973, but only on the song "Six O'Clock." (John was also on the album, but not with Paul.

18. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No, only Paul was on "Six O'Clock". No George on that song.

But George and John were on "I'm The Greatest".

19. schnitzerphilip

Paul's 1970-1976 period was so flush with hits that's all that's needed to talk about. I say goodbye to Paul's albums at Wings Over America. After that, I like a handful of his singles and the All The Best compilation.

Still whips the pants off of George. Certainly John. Don't even go down the road of Ringo.

Paulwalrus and Hermes like this.
  20. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

EVERYTHING??

21. schnitzerphilip

Never heard it. 1997 was all about OK Computer for me, music stood still off the buzz of that long player, nothing else came into my consciousness again until 2001.

Cracklebarrel likes this.
  22. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

I was in HS from Sept 1995- June 1999 and I knew every Wings song better than any Beatles song.

Paulwalrus and MPLRecords like this.
  23. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

As far as I'm aware, after the 'I, Me, Mine' session in January 1970, Paul and George did not collaborate on anything musical again until they met up at Friar Park in 1980 to work on George's 'All Those Years Ago'. They were however photographed together in Long Beach, CA, at Paul's 'Venus and Mars' launch party in 1975, and there may of course have been other occasions when they got together unknown to the press.

24. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

At Eric Clapton's wedding, was it?

25. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Paul and George were together signing the papers to disolve the Beatles partnership in NYC in 1974 HAHA...Does that count?

There's film footage of this.

Also at Paul's concert this year, during his performance of "Something" there were in the slideshow some pics of Paul and George from what looked like 1976...It looked like George had come to see Wings and these were Linda pics from backstage...

BlueJay likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.