LG OLED tv opinions

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RadioClash, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

After a few trips to the store to view what is out there, we went with a C2 55"
    While we liked a few of the Samsung models, the fact they don't support Dolby Vision was a deal breaker.

So after about a week and fiddling with settings it's a very, very beautiful set. We mainly stuck with Filmmaker mode but modified the brightness (gamma) as it was too dark. Using an AppleTV so haven't even tried any of the on-board apps.

stereoptic likes this.
  2. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I spent a good amount of time searching the internet to get the settings correct, especially with using an Apple TV (which tries to make everything Dolby Vision). It was time well-spent. For DV stuff, we use a lightly modified version of Cinema Home; and for regular SDR, we use a modified version of Expert Bright Room. For everything, we have all the AI, power savings, and motion stuff turned off.

Curveboy likes this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Why not Samsung? They build something like 80% of the panels on the market.

4. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

I have a Samsung now, but we have had a streak of bad experiences with it, starting when the panel was a couple of days old and required technicians to come out to the house three times to try and fix a problem under warranty. I also cannot stand the horrendous light bleed/blooming we experience in a dark room, notably with HDR sources, but this has more to do with the edge light technology in the panel.

I suppose I MAY consider another Samsung if I could learn some more about their QD-OLEDs; I am uncertain if this is the only kind of OLED they sell or if they offer OLEDs plus QD-OLEDS...

5. Kaskade10729

I am not convinced that these so-called "dynamic" HDR formats like HDR10+ and Dolby Vision are dealbreakers or are making that huge of a difference in the viewing experience. We have a Samsung NU8000, and it boasts onboard 10+ support, and when we watch any of our 4K Blu-rays with HDR10+ grades, we don't really see much of a difference between them and the standard HDR10 discs. I don't have any direct experience with DV, but from what I am reading, it's not the "game changer" it was always made out to be. :shrug:

mikeyt and Strat-Mangler like this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Check out the reviews at rting.com which is by far the best TV review website on the internet.

7. Strat-Mangler

The whole idea of Dolby Vision is that it can boost brightness of an image up to 10 000 nits (element of brightness) but since the TV we bought (Samsung S95B) can only project 1000-1500 nits (tops), it's not exactly a game-changer, IMHO. It'd only make sense once the tech catches up to it. It'll have more of an effect in terms of colors, detail, etc. DV can support 12-bit color whereas HDR10+ supports 10-bit color. It translates into the latter being able to display from a palette of 1 billion colors whereas the former can display from a choice of 68 billion. The idea is color accuracy would be a big deal. My personal reasoning is there's no real reason to get invested into it for that reason due to color timing needing to be done on the source material and is oftentimes not calibrated properly from scene to scene anyway and, moreover, color timing is deliberately changed to more often than not ludicrous fashions which is a *major* pet peeve of mine and reason 342765 why I don't watch modern movies anymore.

Here's an example of what I mean. The first Lord Of The Rings' color timing was changed from its natural colors in the theatrical version to the wholly unnecessary green-drenched crap you see in the extended edition.

[​IMG]

If I'm watching the latter on a DV-supported TV, it won't have any effect on the deliberately chosen green tint. That is an artistic choice by the director and not something that can be compensated for but I'm explaining reasons why neither DV nor HDR10+ are a factor for me. This heavy-handed color timing has become the norm. Some people either don't care or notice but I am highly sensitive to this stuff and can see it a mile away... and it seriously bothers me.

Kaskade10729 likes this.
  8. Kaskade10729

Indeed, Strat; I have checked out Rtings before and I am very familiar with their site. I have based the settings for my Samsung NU8000 on their calibration results for this model, making some minor tweaks here and there for personal preference. :):righton:

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  9. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I wouldn't call it a game changer, but I personally do find that the 4K blu-rays I own with DV / HDR10 are a noticable improvement over titles without them. I have a 55" LG CX OLED and the extra contrast is nice bonus to the image quality.

zombiemodernist and marcb like this.
  10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

My understanding is that HDR can boost contrast across the whole picture, while Dolby Vision can control individual pixels.

All I know is I wanted something “future proof” so I went with the LG.

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The Apple TV keeps making everything DV because that’s probably what you have it set to do. To have the Apple TV output in native format, set the video playback to 4K SDR and then turn on dynamic range matching.

zombiemodernist and ermylaw like this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t believe that’s quite correct. I think, very simply put, HDR and DV both increase dynamic range, i.e. contrast, etc of each pixel across the entire picture. But 1) DV is capable of greater dynamic range, brightness, etc. than HDR due to a higher bit depth and 2) DV contains metadata which allows it to adjust frame-by-frame whereas HDR is more static.

Curveboy and mikeyt like this.
  13. Kaskade10729

Did you mean HDR10+ when you said DV/HDR10?

Because 10+ is a dynamic HDR format, similar to Dolby Vision -- HDR10 is the base layer that's on every 4K disc with HDR.

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No. I was in a hurry and was simply responding to the other post which specifically compared HDR(10) to DV.

Yes, HDR10+ is more like DV.

Curveboy likes this.
  15. Kaskade10729

Something's being lost in translation here, LOL...

HDR10 is the base layer that is on every 4K Blu-ray disc that's mastered with HDR (not sure if this works the same with streaming sources as I don't stream), while Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are "dynamic" premium HDR alternatives on some titles that are supposed to deliver a better experience on a scene-by-scene basis (hence the "dynamic" moniker). Samsung is a manufacturer that has not licensed Dolby Vision for its displays, so they only offer HDR10 and 10+; when we watch Blu-rays with HDR10+ grades (including Hobbs and Shaw, Wonder Woman 1984 and The Shining), we don't find that the experience is all that different from regular static HDR10 presentations.

HDR10 is set at one nit parameter for an entire film, as I understand it, but disc players from Panasonic have the "HDR Optimizer" feature that handles the tonemapping themselves for HDR10 presentations, supposedly to provide a better picture to the connected display.

Curveboy likes this.
  16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Nothing is being lost in translation. Read my response to your earlier question.

And fyi neither HDR (or HDR10), HDR10+, nor Dolby Vision are confined to physical media. I don't know why you keep mentioning physical media. It's irrelevant.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  17. Kaskade10729

Huh?

I was responding to Mikey...

At any rate, it was stated "I personally do find that the 4K blu-rays I own with DV / HDR10 are a noticable improvement over titles without them," and what I was trying to ascertain was what was actually being said here -- EVERY disc mastered with HDR contains a base HDR10 layer. It is up to the studio if a Dolby Vision or HDR10+ grade is going to be added. So I don't understand the "I personally do find that the 4K Blu-rays with DV/HDR10 are a noticeable improvement...." because just about every title is mastered with at least HDR10.

18. Kaskade10729

Marc,

Here's what you said:

I don’t believe that’s quite correct. I think, very simply put, HDR and DV both increase dynamic range, i.e. contrast, etc of each pixel across the entire picture. But 1) DV is capable of greater dynamic range, brightness, etc. than HDR due to a higher bit depth and 2) DV contains metadata which allows it to adjust frame-by-frame whereas HDR is more static.

It gets a little confusing because of all the references being made to the different HDR formats -- yes, it's true that HDR10 and DV increase dynamic range, but Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are both "dynamic" formats that have the potential to better this dynamic range due to not only the higher 12-bit depth (in the case of DV; in the case of 10+, it remains a 10-bit format with temporal dithering if I am not mistaken) but also because there's a scene-by-scene analysis protocol going on. HDR10 is, yes, a static approach to the HDR flavors, but, as I pointed out in another post, players from Panasonic affect the HDR10 layers on discs by implementing an HDR Optimizer, which handles tonemapping before it gets to a display.

19. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

As far as I understand it, the main selling point of DV (figuring the same is true for HDR10+) is that the TV model itself is measured by Dolby before being certified for DV, creating a golden reference file that should be "good enough" for most users and further calibratable for power users. This handles the discrepancy between your consumer display vs a high end HDR monitor which is capable of far more light output to an accepted standard. Compared to HDR10 which is clipped/crushed/adjusted at your display manufacturer's discretion.

Theoretically this should be better for TVs like LG OLEDs which do not have high peak brightness relative to professional monitors. In practice I don't think I'd be able to pick out the two formats in a double blind test, but if I force content down into HDR10 it does look slightly different, usually worse.

Anyhow to the topic of the thread, I think LG's OLEDs should more than satisfy most buyers, most of the chatter about brightness and burn-in is vastly overstated.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

No, none of this. Especially the bolded :)

marcb and Strat-Mangler like this.
  21. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Ah, care to elaborate? Perhaps I've oversimplified but I've certainly seen it described as such, just one example here:

Dolby measures a handful of samples of a certain TV model--say, the VIZIO P65-E1--and determines the best results. It then creates a target file, called the Golden Reference Target, for that particular TV model, which you use as the reference in the CalMAN measurement software, in the Dolby Vision workflow. Your results will tell you how close to the ideal P Series TV your review sample gets.

Obviously the individual TVs are not measured by Dolby nor are they measured individually by any manufacturer that I know of. I think the point is that the general characteristics of the model is "understood" by Dolby via their initial measurements and tone-mapping (necessary on pretty much every display with HDR content) is done in context of that.

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

While nothing in that article is inaccurate, I think your comparison of the 'main selling point' of DV is taken out of context from that article. The section you reference is more about the calibration procedure using tools (Murideo) and software (CalMAN) to optimize DV. Which I'd imagine <0.1% of owners do, or care about.

You might have been thinking how DV is related to Tone Mapping, which is important for Dolby Vision, HDR10 and HDR10+. DV and HDR10+ can use dynamic (i.e. scene by scene) Tone Mapping, regardless if your display is calibrated.

HDR10 can be just fine, great even.

This is a good article: HDR10 vs HDR10+ vs Dolby Vision: Which is better?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Good grief. I'm making it a little confusing because of all the references?? o_O Did you miss the part where I qualified what I wrote with "very simply put"?

Again, you haven't really said anything I didn't say with regard to the original post I was responding too - and then in my succeeding post responding to you quoting me - although you're saying it with far more words, terms, and detours.

And note that HDR10 is commonly called "HDR" for short. Also HDR10+ is still a somewhat uncommon format.

24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I've got to verify this, but I think that FILMMAKER mode is only an option on the broadcasts, streaming, or discs that offer it.

25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It's both (from what I know.) It's both a mode available on the TV, and a function that filmmakers can use to control the settings on your set. Basically the setting turns off all processing and provides a balanced color output. As I said we found it a bit too dark and changed the gamma settings (2:2 I believe) to compensate.

zombiemodernist and stereoptic like this.