Liam Gallagher Why Me? Why Not. Second Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, May 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I'm sure he doesn't.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  2. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I've not heard those songs, but they aren't great lyrics at all.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Elvis did alright and Sinatra.

As long as it’s great, no probs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Arrogance is fine, as long as you can back it up with talent. If you haven't got talent, you've got nothing. I've met some very arrogant people - and I never liked any of them. But when they're incredibly good at what they do - world leading in science and so on - I can see that it comes from a focus on doing what they are best at, rather than just being rude.

5. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Bit depressing that with all this help at his disposal, his debut was still lukewarm at best. Even the best song on his debut was probably easily eclipsed by even a mediocre Oasis tune their last series of lps

SoundDoctor likes this.
  6. Matisse

Matisse I said me gotta go now

Great news! As You Were is my second favorite post-Oasis album after Chasing Yesterday. I was actually really impressed when that came out.

alexpop, Erik B., cporcp and 2 others like this.
  7. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

They aren’t and aren’t meant to be. Yet people actually listen to that (including myself when I want a laugh).

8. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Pretty much. His first solo LP sounded like Beady Eye B-Sides to me. And some of the Beady Eye songs were actually recorded / demo'd by Oasis - and were deemed by Noel as not good enough to release.

Matthew Tate and SoundDoctor like this.
  9. SoundDoctor

Yes, but that makes songwriting teams of two people. Liam needs four others to write a song.

Some might argue that artists that I really enjoy like Kanye also use a lot of co-writers for their songs, but at least Ye (for example) has the clear vision of what he wants. Liam seems to need others to even have a vision. While some people aren’t good at having a vision, Liam doesn’t seem to have much of one at all. The closest thing he has are dreams of making more money.

To be clear, I did enjoy “As You Were” enough though. 6/10 for me.

10. Devin

Devin Time's Up

You may not care for someone's particular talent but that doesn't mean they don't possess said talent.

11. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

To be honest, and I am genuinely not trying to be argumentative at all, if you are going to get other people to write - lock, stock, and barrel - songs for your debut LP because you have nothing to say, please, please, please, try to pick songs that aren't as objectively simple and rubbish as "Chinatown". Liam did nothing in that song apart from sing it. We can't even blame that song on his songwriting abilities.

That said, I really hope this new LP is much better than the other one. For all my comments above, Liam has an amazing voice when he uses it well.

FJFP, Matthew Tate and SoundDoctor like this.
  12. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Interesting about the album title, apparently it comes from a sketch Yoko Ono gave Liam that said why not at the bottom and Liam had the other Lennon sketch that said why me at the bottom.

MungoMusic, Yorick, Usagi75 and 2 others like this.
  13. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Interesting but not quite what I said. Liam can barely write songs, and the ones he does write remind me of a 17 years old's first attempts. He is a poor songwriter. His arrogance is not backed up by his limited songwriting abilities. His big break came from giving voice to Noel's far more capable songwriting.

Great voice though.

14. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Fair enough. Perhaps Liam has been cruising on his own legend for a while. Let's see what he can do on the new album. If I think its all rubbish I'll be the first to say so.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  15. Devin

Devin Time's Up

At least we agree on that! Cheers mate!

alexpop and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. alexpop

I’m outta Time.

17. alexpop

Time for :cheers::D

Devin likes this.
  18. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Liam's greatest song. Noel thought so too. He said it was "deceptively brilliant."

alexpop, phillyal1, ralphb97 and 3 others like this.
  19. alexpop

Brilliant video as well.

Matthew Tate, Carl80 and Devin like this.
  20. SoundDoctor

Agreed.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I should point out that the arrogant and rude people I have met professionally are people like, for example world leading surgeons, scientists, academics and so on - their minds are only interested in the work, be that saving lives or learning and research, and the advancement of what they are honestly obsessed / compelled with. Like artists, the only thing they want to do is the work they love, and have little time and less patience for things like business, budgets or rules. That's the kind of arrogance I can understand which comes from a place of compulsion to strip away all that does not matter to them, and focus on the work, rather than a big headed rudeness.

Solace and SoundDoctor like this.
  22. alexpop

Hey man..it’s only pop music.

23. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

"...but I like it, like it, yes I do!"

SoundDoctor likes this.
  24. Motown Junk

Motown Junk Forum Resident

Absolutely :righton: I should have put that in my post. My post was more of an attempt to get the thread back on track talking about his upcoming album.

25. alexpop

Buy the LP then, why not! :)

Last edited: May 29, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.