Library Music - KPM, De Wolfe, Bruton, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by izgoblin, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mondayschild

Mondayschild Guest

Yes. Got tons of them, all the usual suspects KPM, Bruton, Chappell, De Wolfe, Boosey and Hawkes and a fair few more obscure labels like Golden Ring, Impress, Montparnasse, Amphonic, Apollo and so on.
    I love them and usually find something interesting on all of them.
    Even the 80's synth based ones.

Luke Vibert is putting out another volume of the Barry 7 'Connections' series soon which is all Bruton stuff.

nlgbbbblth likes this.
  2. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I've heard and liked the Super Sounds of Bosworth LPs. Also the Mo' Plen 2000 comp.

3. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Library music I like mostly from the 60's and 70's are these artists:

Jean-Jacques Perrey
    Ron Geesin
    Cecil Leuter - real name (Roger Roger)
    Raymond Scott
    Gershon Kingsley

4. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident Thread Starter

I didn't know Gershon Kingsley did library stuff as I know him from a soundtrack or two. Electronic I'd assume? I'll have to look into that...

5. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I actually have one famous library-music LP, from De Wolfe - History Book of Music, by Paul Lewis, from 1967. Exactly half of the 16 tunes on this 10" LP wound up in one form or another being used (sped-up at either 78 or 45 RPM, depending on how it was to be used) on The Benny Hill Show within its first decade on Thames TV. Perhaps the most famous track from this LP was "Ballroom" which, because of its constant exposure, became known as "The Benny Hill Waltz," and was actually re-recorded by Lewis under that title on one of his commercially-available CD's in the '90's. But De Wolfe probably took the cake for the most library tunes by company used on the Hill show.

The other two companies mentioned in the title of this thread - KPM and Bruton - also had a few tunes here and there used on TBHS. (From the latter firm, Miki Antony's "Funky Feeling," which was used in a part of Hill's Dec. 26, 1978 "Friday Night Fever" sketch.)

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Other things to know. In the UK, 78 RPM was used for library music until 1968. Many a 1960's library 78 was pressed on vinyl.

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Dang, that's gotta sound good. I never got to work with a Valentino/Major Records library, and only have a couple of the Capitol series discs, but my observation is,
    the Brits had it sooo much better than the Yanks when it comes to '70s groove vs. cheese. From what I saw in the '80s, our radio stations were flooded with Tanner
    libraries - 90% crap,,,and that's IF you're counting the runout groove!

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Capercaillie - The Boy Who

8. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Replying to an old post:

He has released 6 CDs worth of this music:
    Missing Links Volume One: Finger Painting (1989)
    A collection of Television and Library Music 1979-89
    Missing Links Volume Two: The Sky Road (1994)
    A collection of Archive, Commission and Unreleased Album Material
    Missing Links Volume Three: Time & Tide (1997)
    The third release in the Missing Links series, featuring Library and Television music written and recorded by Ant and Joji Hirota between 1992 and 1997.
    Wildlife (2007)
    A compilation of highlights of the music written and recorded by Ant and Joji Hirota for television wildlife programmes.
    Missing Links Volume Four: Pathways & Promenades (2009)
    The fourth volume in the Missing Links series brings together most of the tracks by Ant that have only previously been released on compilations together with a selection of previously unreleased Library Music pieces.
    Ahead of the Field (2010)
    A retrospective commercial release of a 1985 Library album that Ant composed for music publishers De Wolfe.

9. Berg Katse

Berg Katse Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I was glad to find this thread about library music as I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me solve a decades-long question.

I'm a fan of an old Japanese cartoon named "Gatchaman" (brought to the US years later under the titles "Battle of the Planets" and "G-Force"). The show used a number of tracks from the Montparnasse library series throughout its two year run from 1972 to 1974. Fans of the show only discovered the Montparnasse connection recently and have since been able to track down the vast majority of the pieces that were used.

However, there were a couple psychedelic rock type tracks that appeared in an episode that have remained unidentified. The episode aired in Japan on July 8, 1973 so the tracks obviously existed before that.

I have production scripts from the series that provide music cue usage and information. Instances where Montparnasse tracks were used were usually indicated with an "MP" designation and an notation in Japanese that the tracks were "previously existing," meaning they were from a library music source.

But the two mystery tracks were just listed as "previously existing KM - No.1" and "KM - No.2." The closest label I've been able to find that may fit those initials is "KPM" and the selections on that label are so numerous, I have no idea where to start looking. it's possible they're from a completely different label.

I hope it's okay to link to a YouTube video here. I found a version of the episode there that includes the tracks. Unfortunately it's an English-dubbed version and the tracks have additional vocals laid over top of them. But I'm sure enough of the music is audible to be recognizable.

I tried to link these to the specific times where the tracks start, but if they don't work, the music for the first one starts at two minutes, thirty six seconds and the second one starts at six minutes, fifty four seconds.

Song 1

Song 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj7mynep4LE#t=06m54s

If anyone can help me identify these tracks, or give me a good pointer on where to look, I'd be very grateful. I'd also be interested in original vinyl or CD copies of the album or albums on which the songs appear.

Thanks very much in advance for any help!

10. RecordSeeker

RecordSeeker New Member

Hello folks, I'm new here but have listened to a bit of library music, mostly Alan Hawkshaw material. That man can really play.

I've come to ask for a bit of help identifying some library music that I found in a 1975 demo reel for Computer Image Corporation, a graphics company specializing in Scanimate. The first clip reminds me of something on Bruton or KPM, and the second one has me stumped - though apparently it was the theme for a TV program called "Dimension", which is equally as obscure.

Here are the two clips:

http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/ktm591rmb0/unknown1.mp3
    http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/16sx1e1cgl/unknown2.mp3

Any help would be appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.